Home Sports Talk
Options

They don't have to be the best...only your favorites. May be professional or high level amateur.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 31, 2018 7:02AM in Sports Talk

This may not be easy. ;)
1. Barry Sanders.........He never spiked the ball.
2. Bill Rodgers.............Look him up if you need to. Got to run with him once!
3. John Elway...............You guys can debate the GOAT. Elway was just fun to watch.
4. Mickey Lolich..........1968 World Series.
5. Willie Mays..............No explanation needed.
6. Dan Marino.............Best arm in the NFL, ever.
7. Gordie Howe...........Not a nice guy but Hockey is not a nice game.
8. Magic Johnson........Lit up the league.
9. Martina Navratilova .......Only time I watched tennis was when Martina was playing. True,
10. Jim Furyk...............For a few reasons. He will never be in the Tiger/Jack discussion, but he is a grinder that even in his late 40's remains competitive. Finally, everyone else on my list has been retired for a dozen years or longer and I needed a current, active player. :)

Comments

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2018 1:54AM

Terry Bradshaw - big game QB and four for four in THE big game. And Cowboys killer.
    Willie Stargell - Won the trifecta MVP in 1979. Respected player and person by everyone.
    Zeke Elliott - Best Ohio State running back in history. Destroyed the tide.
    Jimmy Connors - Won more singles Championships than any other player. Gutsy performer.
    Margaret Court - best women's tennis player in history.
    Andre Agassi - best return of serve in history.
    John McEnroe - Discovered the sport of tennis because of him. Still fun to watch to this day at age 60.
    Roberto Duran - He was better than Sugar Ray Leonard
    Rocky Marciano- pound for pound, the best fighter in history.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Frank Thomas-Just destroyed the ball
    Dan Marino-Super arm, Lightning release
    John Elway-Best arm I ever saw
    Wade Boggs-greatest eye at the plate I personally saw
    George Brett-Intense
    Roger Clemens-Saw him warm up in the fenway bullpen as a child. Must have left a big impression on me as I was very impressed. to 10 year old me, I had never seen or heard anything like it.
    Greg Maddux-such command
    Randy Johnson-scary
    Joe Montana-the guy was in control
    Reggie White-such a beast
    Barry Sanders-always preferred him over Emmitt. Could take it to the house on any given play
    Hakeem Olajuwon-such a smooth underrated player. I would put him up against any of the great centers.
    there are more, but this is good for now

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

George Brett- Will never forget listening on the radio to every game during the chase for .400
    Willie Stargell- He never forgot baseball is supposed to be fun. Watched him slide into second, pop up 3 feet
    short of the bag and try to call time out.
    Len Dawson- Greatest Chiefs QB ever.........................until Mahomes passes him in due time.
    Danny Manning- Enjoyed watching him play basketball for KU more than anyone else. Was just a natural at the game.
    Kirk Heinrich- Maybe my second favorite KU player. Improved so much between freshman and senior years it was amazing.
    Barry Sanders- Favorite running back ever. Amazing moves.
    Randy Johnson- Loved watching him strikeout hitters, could be absolutely dominant when he was on, which was often.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

1992-93 Dallas Cowboys - Best team in Football ever.
    Emmitt Smith - Best running back ever...closely followed by Jim Brown.
    Roger Staubach - Favorite QB - He invented the "Hail Mary" in a playoff game against the Vikes.
    Tony Dorsett - Loved the way he ran......he has the longest run from scrimmage of 99+ yards on MNF against Vikes.
    Jack - Best golfer ever. No last name needed.....he is MR. Golf!
    Magic Johnson - Just fun to watch.
    Micheal Jordan - Best Basketball player ever.
    Dr. J - Just loved to watch him play.
    Ali - Best Boxer ever. The comeback against Forman was unbelievable.
    Sectrateriat(SP) - Best Racing Horse ever! His run at the 1973 Belmont was the greatest performance by a Horse ever!
    Pete Rose - My favorite hitter ever. He played 200% on every play. The HOF is a JOKE without him in it!
    Willie Mays - Best all around Baseball player EVER!
    Mickey Mantle _ Best power switch hitter ever!
    Reggie Jackson - Loved to watch him hit homers and stand at the plate and admire his blast!
    Jimmy Conners - great player.
    Chris Everett - Great player with class!
    Andre Agassi - best return of serve in history.

This is just a start.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Woody Hayes - Greatest Buckeye coach ever. Urban needs three or four more National Championships to be in his class.
    Jack - Yes, Greatest golfer ever.
    Lucas, Havlicek, Nowell, Siegfried, Roberts - Not the greatest team ever, but my favorite.
    LeBron - Greatest ever. After he retires hindsight will know he was much better than Jordan.
    Cleveland Browns. Used to be pretty good. Now lovable losers.
    Ali - Not the greatest ever but a great boxer and showman.
    Big Red Machine.
    Ted Williams - My favorite when I was young.
    Jim Brown - Not only my favorite running back but actually the greatest ever, by a wide margin.
    Otto Graham - GOAT
    Mahomes - Fresh face QB. Could end up better than Brady, a bit behind Graham (the older I get, the better he was,)
    I admit to being a bit of a homer.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

A.J. Foyt - Would race anything, anytime, anywhere and knew how to win. Unique crusty personality too.
    Tony Stewart - see above.
    Tiger Woods - Yes, he's a scoundrel but golf is fun and has a buzz when he is rolling.
    Derek Jeter - Always seemed to be a class act and respected by his opponents.
    Alexander Ovechkin - For being able to put up the scoring numbers that he does, year after year. And for the leadership to finally bring the cup to DC.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Richie Ashburn, Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris, Yogi Berra, Whitey Ford, Sandy Koufax, Tom Seaver, Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, Steve Van Buren, Chuck Bednarik, Carson Wentz, Wilt Chamberlain, Bobby Clarke, Joe Frazier, Jim Thorpe, Joe Paterno

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a kid in Minnesota I liked Bill Goalsworthy, Bill Brown and Harmon Killebrew. I also liked Wilt Chamberlain and Arnold Palmer.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

From my lifetime

Players
    Basketball - Larry Bird
    Baseball - Mariano Rivera
    Football - Lawrence Taylor
    Hockey - Mark Messier
    Golf - Tom Watson
    Boxing - Evander Holyfield
    Tennis - Boris Becker
    Pro Wrestling - Randy Macho Man Savage
    College Basketball - Grant Hill
    Olympics - Carl Lewis

Teams
    98 Yankees
    86 Giants
    86 Celtics
    94 Rangers (oddly enough, the only time I ever watched a full season of hockey. Girl related)

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    • Garvey, Lopes, Russell, Cey, Yeager, Smith, Baker, Monday, Ferguson, John, Sutton, Rau, et al - in my 5-10 year old mind they were all simply the best!
    • Countless UCLA basketball players of 1970's and 1980's - Marques Johnson, Rod Foster, Reggie Miller - the guys that carried the load for the Bruins when we had season tickets.
    • Countless lesser UCLA basketball players who got the job done without fanfare - Brad Holland, Niguel Miguel, Kelvin Butler (about a 6'4" "center").
    • UCLA football player Matt Darby simply for that one hit he put on a Nebraska player in 1988. Surprised the guy who he hit lived after that hit.
    • Mitch Richmond - we had season tickets to the King's in the mid/late 90's before they had their good years. Mitch was the whole team and he still managed to score 25 a night. The opposition had nobody else to guard. He literally carried those teams.
    • Larry Allen, of course, going from a D-2 school that didn't have athletic scholarships to the NFL hall of fame. How could that happen!?
  • Options
    electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Maurice Richard, Guy Lafleur, Gilles Villeneuve and his son Jacques Villeneuve Canadian formula 1 drivers ,Michael Jordon,Tiger Woods,all Canadian Olympic Gold medal female hockey teams, American male hockey team winning the gold medal against the powerful Russians at Lake Placid,in Canada we saw it live on tv and Billy Sims,i saw Michel Schumacher in his Ferrari G.P. car doing four wheel drifts entering and leaving a chicane on his first lap in Montreal,lastly Tayler Hall of the Memorial Cup Windsor Spitfire team in Windsor Canada he was like a waterbug on skates.

• Options

Ken "Junior" Griffey, best ball player of all time. Too bad injuries became his legacy.
    Derek Jeter, ONLY Yankee to get 3000 hits, plus he won multiple World Series. Sorry Babe and Joe, you got nothing on the Captain.
    Michael Jordan, I mean, who doesn't want to be like Mike?
    Keith Brooking, I don't know why, but he has always been my favorite Falcon.
    David Seaman (you'll probably have to Google him), goalkeeper for Arsenal and England.
    Brady Quinn, best Notre Dame player I have ever watched.
    Greg Maddux, best pitcher I have ever watched.
    Clayton Kershaw, the 2nd best pitcher I have ever watched.
    Roman Gabriel, never saw him play football, but I got to caddie for him a couple of times at a celebrity golf tourney. Such a nice guy.
    Oscar Robertson. Again, never saw him play, but met him and talked with him. Such a nice guy. Very down to earth and loves to talk about basketball.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Favorites:

Hockey: Steve Yzerman, Wayne Gretzky, Bob Probert
    Football: Barry Sanders
    Basketball: Joe Dumars
    Baseball: Kent Tekulve, Alan Trammell
    Tennis: Steffi Graf, Andre Agassi, Michael Chang

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

1. Jim Furyk...............For a few reasons. He will never be in the Tiger/Jack discussion, but he is a grinder that even in his late 40's remains competitive. Finally, everyone else on my list has been retired for a dozen years or longer and I needed a current, active player. :)

took these of Jimbo back in '14 at Augusta National. last pic is of him skipping one across the pond on #16, as is customary during practice rounds.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    Frank Thomas-Just destroyed the ball
    Dan Marino-Super arm, Lightning release
    John Elway-Best arm I ever saw
    Wade Boggs-greatest eye at the plate I personally saw
    George Brett-Intense
    Roger Clemens-Saw him warm up in the fenway bullpen as a child. Must have left a big impression on me as I was very impressed. to 10 year old me, I had never seen or heard anything like it.
    Greg Maddux-such command
    Randy Johnson-scary
    Joe Montana-the guy was in control
    Reggie White-such a beast
    Barry Sanders-always preferred him over Emmitt. Could take it to the house on any given play
    Hakeem Olajuwon-such a smooth underrated player. I would put him up against any of the great centers.
    there are more, but this is good for now

https://howtheyplay.com/individual-sports/Why-Roberto-Durn-Is-the-Greatest-Boxer-of-All-Time