Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2018-W Silver American Eagle Proof - Gone Dark?? BACKORDERED UPDATE

AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 1, 2018 1:07PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Seems a bit early for these mainstream collectables, but these have been "not available" since at least Saturday the 27th. All "bundles" with the proof are also dark. They could strike more -- but WHO KNOWS?? Mintage stats as of 10/21 are 317,206. One of the lowest in the series for generic proofs. The 2017-W Uncs got cut off early. Personally, a few short strikes could re-energize these as mintages have been getting boringly...redundant...
What think??

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

Comments

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bet they will be selling them shortly for the next few years. But the 2018 Congradulation set is sold out.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's still two months left in the year, and there's nothing preventing the mint from selling ASE's well beyond their years. They'll probably strike more...

Bulk packs are still available (as far as I can tell) if you have an extra $11,800 laying around...

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

I was able to add (and delete) 100 to my bag a few minutes ago

• Options

It's still dark. The S - Mint proof is still available.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

Oops...sorry. Yup...dark BUT since the 2016 is still available I would side with those who said the presses are still cranking....

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:
    There's still two months left in the year, and there's nothing preventing the mint from selling ASE's well beyond their years. They'll probably strike more...

Bulk packs are still available (as far as I can tell) if you have an extra $11,800 laying around...

So they have plenty of coins but a shortage of boxes? :wink:

• Options

The bulk pack numbers have not changed in the last week (updated today), can't tell if they are still avail. All 4 - 18EA options that us minions have access to are dark.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Getting to the point of the year where, while they "can" make more, the business is already moving ahead to get the next year's (2019) products done.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

@Akbeez said:
    Seems a bit early for these mainstream collectables, but these have been "not available" since at least Saturday the 27th. All "bundles" with the proof are also dark. They could strike more -- but WHO KNOWS?? Mintage stats as of 10/21 are 317,206. One of the lowest in the series for generic proofs. The 2017-W Uncs got cut off early. Personally, a few short strikes could re-energize these as mintages have been getting boringly...redundant...
    What think??

I haven't been following these, as the mint has burned me out on these and a few other things, but a question on the "mintages"....

Is the number you gave for ALL the iterations that have a 2018-W Proof SAE? Or, is it only for the singles, with box?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

Ok...I think I got the right year this time:

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was a article out on coin world where they (Mint) ran out of their 2018 production due to heavy demand. I do believe there was intent to make more.

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2018 8:03AM

I am not sure about the proofs. But there was a shortage on ASE bullion. Most of bullion dealers online had them on back orders couple months ago.

The following communication issued by the US Mint’s Branch Chief

Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2018

Subject: 2018 American Eagle Silver Bullion Coins Temporarily Sold Out

This is to inform you that due to recent increased demand, the United States Mint has temporarily sold out of its inventories of 2018 American Eagle Silver Bullion Coins.

All orders received prior to this communication shall be honored and settled according to pre-agreed upon value date arrangements.

The United States Mint is in the process of producing additional 2018 American Eagle Silver Bullion Coins. We will make these coins available for sale shortly.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Jack A. Szczerban
    Branch Chief, Bullion Directorate
    United States Mint

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a banner year for ASE products....I got one earlier in the year for a family birth...Will be interesting to see the final mint numbers after this run.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited November 1, 2018 12:58PM

So backorder status now for the next couple weeks. Makes you wonder what the minimum number of planchets it takes to re-fire the presses.

@Bochiman said:

Is the number you gave for ALL the iterations that have a 2018-W Proof SAE? Or, is it only for the singles, with box?

Just 18EA. The Congrat's set sold out at just under 20k. The other products (bundles) mintages are not posted.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bulk Pack it

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

Don't know about this one...it probably will end up low for a W proof but I think the S proof has a better chance at value. Less than 200k (inc. the LE set) so far vs. just under 350k (plus the potential for another 70k+ in bulk packs)

I guess time will tell

• Options

Yeah, I wonder how many may just collect all of the proofs, or just one a year......

Since there are lower mintages, and since this one is offered in multiples ways, I think it may still be low, but not that low....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file