Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

One of the coolest coins that I've gotten to play with in a LONG time...

RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 30, 2018 8:08PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I've been working with an exceptional group of Pioneer Gold lately - probably the coolest piece in the bunch is this Cincinnati $10 overs truck on a J.S. Ormsby $10 - to give you an idea of how rare it is, there are just three Cincinnati $10s and three Ormsby $10s in private hands. Either coin is at least as rare as a 1913 Nickel, and neither one has traded publicly in over a decade, which is a pretty interesting thing to think about. The best of both worlds:

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake

Comments

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

OMG What a treasure! It is definitely a piece you'll keep for generations to come. Congrats! :)

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2018 8:24PM

Wow, I was mining gold in California a few days ago and found nice gold.

That is an exceptional piece!!!

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

Besides it’s great rarity it’s a spectacular piece. Die cracks, design and that is one cool eagle.
    Just a fantastic piece and I envy you being able to hold these great coins!

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whoa!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW, is all I can say.........................

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

Are you going to write about this in your new CoinWeek column? :)

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

We'll see - I have a few things I'm already working on first.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool to see such rare coins. Thanks for showing.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

Wow that's so cool. I'm glad I've finally gotten to see a photo of it. Honestly, I didn't know this even existed when you told me about it. The fields are so original. I'm in love.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beyond rare. I never even knew of its existence. Whenever I open one of your threads, there is always something cool and educational. Thanks for sharing.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another reason why so many of us follow this forum. The exotic coins that turn up here are staggering. Holy cow.
    Lance.

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be an honor handling what is fundamentally a museum piece, Amazing California gold.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2018 6:27AM

Exceedingly cool!

Here's a higher grade, later die stage specimen from the Smithsonian collection that is not an overstrike.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spectacular item :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very impressive coin....Rare, and gold....Must be quite a thrill to hold a coin like that in hand... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    Anytime somebody like @Regulated titles a thread "One of the coolest coins that I've gotten to play with in a LONG time..." I know we're in for a treat!
    So, I assume "Cincinnati Mining & Trading Co." was simply the name of the business and did not actually operate in Ohio? What is the backstory on this piece?
    Thanks for posting !

Yes, like the "Massachusetts and California Company" piece right after it in the Redbook.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow - now that is one cool piece!

Makes one wonder what else is in the collection.....

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know what's going on my Christmas wish list (assuming someone in my family wins the lottery)

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    RittenhouseRittenhouse Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

@Regulated said:
    I've been working with an exceptional group of Pioneer Gold lately - probably the coolest piece in the bunch is this Cincinnati $10 overs truck on a J.S. Ormsby $10 - to give you an idea of how rare it is, there are just three Cincinnati $10s and three Ormsby $10s in private hands. Either coin is at least as rare as a 1913 Nickel, and neither one has traded publicly in over a decade, which is a pretty interesting thing to think about. The best of both worlds:

You showed me that at Baltimore. I said, "Oooo, cool, I'll give ya 20 for it," remember? An absolutely amazing piece and far more stunning in-hand than the photo.

How about posting the SP VAM58? That one gets my vote as the most awesome Morgan I've ever seen.

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

I need to sell all my coins and tokens and buy one example. May have to mortgage the house
    too, but it will be worth it B)

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did they keep mintage figures on these coins? Beautiful coin

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

Incredible B)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's sweet

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super cool and I love the color!

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    Whoa!

ditto!!!!!!!!!!

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool piece of Americana.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    Exceedingly cool!

Here's a higher grade, later die stage specimen from the Smithsonian collection that is not an overstrike.

This past weekend I was able to view both the OP overstuck coin and the Smithsonian piece. The first and last time that will happen in my lifetime. Amazing stuff!

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Regulated said:
    They didn't keep mintage figures.

It's unlikely that many were struck - in October of 1849, the New Orleans Mint got a Moffat $10 and a Miner's Bank $10, assayed them and published that the coins did not contain $10 worth of gold (I think they had $9.83 and $9.67 respectively) - the the 1.7 - 3.3% discrepancy touched off the first in a series of public controversies surrounding private coins, and by early 1850, the bullion brokers (who were behind many of the editorials that got people wound up) started paying 80% of face on private gold when they could. This effectively ended a bunch of the first companies, including Miner's Bank, Ormsby & Company, and presumably Cincinnati M&T.

The irony is that the 2-3% seigniorage was quite reasonable, as the private coins were just about the only available/adequate means of exchange...

Had they made the coins full weight and then kept 3% of the finished product for their services that would have worked, but debasing the coins, even if minor and unintentional, doomed them.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Regulated said:

I had to come back for a second look. The design of this piece is haunting for me I like it THAT much. The old Indian design is so cool I'm drooling

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great post and coin!

Thanks for sharing Regulated.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

So incredible. Thanks for sharing!

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

The old Indian design is so cool I'm drooling !

He is cool but I LOVE that Eagle!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see that the coin was struck over another coin. Pretty cool !!!!!!!!

• Options

Amazing coin, and what a neat overstrike. So much history in a coin like that.

www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • Options
    AthenaAthena Posts: 439 ✭✭✭

WOW! :o

• Options
    RittenhouseRittenhouse Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

@Regulated said:
    I put the following uniface pattern away a couple years ago:

To hell with grade-rarity crap. These are real coins.

• Options
    Senator32Senator32 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love that coin. Amazing. Thanks for the post.

• Options

Beautiful coin! It must be so amazing to hold history like that in your hands!

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing piece to say the least.

Thanks for sharing it.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file