Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is it just me?

DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

.......... or are new ATB quarters circulating less and less each year & later & later?

I just dumped my old State Quarter rolls at my bank, and don't plan on collecting rolls ever again, but I still try and keep my & my sons' folders up-to-date with maybe a half-dozen of each coin & mintmark.

Here it is almost November, and I have found maybe 2 of the 2018 designs out there in either rolls or change, and only 1 or 2 pieces of those from one or the other Mint.

What's going on? Short of ordering rolls or bags from the Mints, how do others find the singles they need?

Comments

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

3 or 4 times face at your area coin show. Lazy mans way.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

If there are enough quarters at the local banks, they don't order more. Even then, if they do order, and there are enough in the region already, they will likely get from that stock (usually already circulating quarters).

So, given that cash is used less and less, and that many of the vending machines are now ALSO accepting plastic, there may be an abundance of quarters already and so the new ones aren't as needed.

Leastways, that's how one of my banks explained it to me a few years back as to why they weren't getting the new quarters that the mint was releasing.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    zippcityzippcity Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭

I seldom see any new mint issues until around summer or later .

Save our Country. Positive BST: Collectorcoins- Mariner020648- profharoldhill- coppertoning- agentjim007- cucamongacoin- ElKevo- mercurydimeguy- Utahcoin-AJAAN-AUandAG- surfinxhi- ZoidMeister- TwoSides2acoin-
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always see the new cents fairly early.... but the other coins come much later....I have not yet seen a 2018 Jefferson in change... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just pulled these out of my pocket:

• Options

My area coin shows moved away a few years ago, so I'm S-O-L, or I'd have gone that "lazy man's route" a while ago..............

What if they suspended minting any more coins for a few years until the supply dried up? Would that both help with their circulation, as well as maybe renew interest in the series (you know - - "absence makes the heart grow fonder")?

Until then, since my source from cut-up Mint sets dried up as well the last year or 2, I'll have to be like Blanche DuBois and "depend on the kindness of strangers"................

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a glut of coinage in the system.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    3 or 4 times face at your area coin show. Lazy mans way.

Best answer.

• Options

I guess our area just doesn't support coin shows anymore............... :(

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have yet to see the Cumberland Island 25c in circulation.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file