Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Help with 1832 CBH Reverse - Strike-Thru or Post-Mint Damage?

ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 30, 2018 3:28PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I have an 1832 Capped Bust Half with an unusual "hole" on the reverse on the left side of the olive branch - it looks like it may have been there when it left the mint, and the metal is raised around the hole that looks like it was "struck". But maybe it is post-mint damage that toned over. Any thoughts or input is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

Think it is O-107 with post mint hole.

My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with PMD and O.107.

I'm curious about the obverse surface opposite the damage. Is there any sign of disruption?

I can't tell from the obverse image, and obviously don't know if there was any die rotation.

It appears to be raw. Where's the corresponding spot on the obverse? Got a close-up?
    Lance.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like an incompletely drilled hole to me.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

Would the hold drilling process raise the metal around it? I was thinking a small object got between the die and the planchet, resulting in the metal rising around the "hole".

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Connecticoin said:

@CaptHenway said:

Would the hold drilling process raise the metal around it? I was thinking a small object got between the die and the planchet, resulting in the metal rising around the "hole".

A dull drill or even a nail would do the same thing, especially in soft metal like silver.

Old time metal finishers have a name for it - it is called "squirt". Sometimes this is desired when putting threaded holes in thin metal. As opposed to burrs where they are unwanted and often must be removed. I think you likely have a burr.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

damage

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

I was thinking the same thing. That's why looking on the obverse side of the "hole" is important. There's typically raised metal on the other side of where the damage is seen. Strike through at minting doesn't typically look perfectly round. I'm in the PMD camp...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears to be PMD... as if someone was going to drill it to put on a chain and then stopped...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

Attempted Hole

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file