Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PP shenanigan by a CU member

KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

So I made a ppff payment to the seller for some coins. Seller pms me back that shipment will be sent xx & tracking info will be provided.

Come xx no tracking #, no pm, no email during biz hours after I had pm & email him. I’m thinking I’ve been had like what happened to others.

Then I get an email/pm after biz time pst from seller saying ppff was “reversed.” I’ve done many many ppff deals & have NEVER reverse a payment. Besides I’m not sure payment can be reversed by sender via ppff.

So I went on pp & found out the seller “rejected” the payment, so no deal.

What’s the shenanigan you ask?

1. Seller lied to me about payment reversal
  2. It was the seller that rejected the payment,
    and, wait there’s more
  3. He sold the coins to another member for more $$ (my guess).

Meanwhile my $$ at pp is “pending.”

Warning: there are “rotten apples” among our ranks, duh.

Comments

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

Number 3 should be taken out unless you have proof, in my opinion. Sorry you had a bad experience. Thankfully you are getting your money back.

• Options
    edited October 30, 2018 1:07PM

@jwitten said:
    Number 3 should be taken out unless you have proof, in my opinion. Sorry you had a bad experience. Thankfully you are getting your money back.

I’ll stick w/ it. If you know the details of my deal w/seller you’ll see why I post it. Hint: check pm forum.
    I’ll even say seller might have had multiple offers for the deal.

Seller prove me wrong & I may edit my post. Remember pp said the $$ was rejected, by whom? Duh!!

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:
    I am still shocked that people use the PayPal friends and family for coin purchases. For non-family and friends.

Agree

As the saying goes: "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink." However, I believe he could have also rejected a reg PP ... not sure though.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:

@MilesWaits said:
    I am still shocked that people use the PayPal friends and family for coin purchases. For non-family and friends.

Agree

As the saying goes: "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink." However, I believe he could have also rejected a reg PP ... not sure though.

I don't recall getting an option to reject a PP payment, but one can refund a payment which has the same effect as reversing the transaction. Looks like that's what the seller did here.

• Options
    edited October 30, 2018 1:15PM

Seller thought he was smart & edited the sp from his original post.
    However all is not lost for yours truly has his original post copied in a pm to him.
    How cool is that, gimme 5 all around B)

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe business accounts allow one to accept or reject a payment.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just being a member of the forum means nothing. Buyer (or seller) beware.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2018 1:18PM

Seller told you it was reversed. Obviously, he rejected (reversed) it. Probably the same thing to him, he didn't lie. Only he knows his reason for rejecting the payment, but most likely he got a better offer. He should come clean and tell you why he rejected it. He owes you an explanation and if warranted an apology for not honoring his deal with you. If not you owe the rest of us his forum ID.

At least he didn't take your payment and then sell the coins elsewhere.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    edited October 30, 2018 1:18PM

@BAJJERFAN said:
    Maybe business accounts allow one to accept or reject a payment.

Maybe but seller said the $$ was “reversed” when he tried to withdraw the $$.

• Options

@derryb said:
    Seller told you it was reversed. Obviously, he rejected (reversed) it. Probably the same thing to him, he didn't lie. Only he knows his reason for rejecting the payment, but most likely he got a better offer. He should come clean and tell you why he rejected it. He owes you an explanation and if warranted an apology for not honoring his deal with you. If not you owe the rest of us his forum ID.

The fact that he said he would send coins out on xx & to provide tracking # when in fact he didn’t do either, is a LIE in my book, maybe not yours.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KollectorKing said:

Then I get an email/pm after biz time pst from seller saying ppff was “reversed.”

1. Seller lied to me about payment reversal
    2. It was the seller that rejected the payment,
      and, wait there’s more
    3. He sold the coins to another member for more $$ (my guess).

I'm not defending the seller or this SNAFU. But isn't it possible that when the seller told you the payment was reversed he was not saying you did it?

Of course this doesn't excuse the shenanigans. When a deal is made it should not be undone for no good reason.
    Lance.

• Options

@291fifth said:
    Just being a member of the forum means nothing. Buyer (or seller) beware.

Seller did provide cu references.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KollectorKing said:

@derryb said:

The fact that he said he would send coins out on xx & to provide tracking # when in fact he didn’t do either, is a LIE in my book, maybe not yours.

If not honoring a deal (promise) makes one a liar, then he is a liar. At least he wasn't a thief.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:

Yep someone always trying to cheat the system.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even though it isn't really a contributing factor here, always use PP goods and services. 3% is not that much for the protection, you never know what could happen. Plus I'd rather not violate their terms of service.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am thinking it is just a case of different terminology - he said "reversed", you said "rejected". Same thing to him, apparently.

He obviously did it for a reason, and the fact that he did not give you a good excuse implies he got a better offer after agreeing to sell to you, which I see as bad faith.

But, why oh why do people use PP FF in these cases? :| That is the alarming takeaway for me.

• Options

Posts such as this do not belong on this forum. Personal matters should be brought up privately with the persons involved.

Heather Boyd
    PCGS Senior Director of Marketing

This discussion has been closed.