Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1990 Pro Set Series 2 Error Cards

I am opening a box of 1990 pro set series 2 football cards and I came upon this card of Lynn Swann.it appears to have some kind of embossed stamp on the top of the front of the card..i have never seen this error card...anyone have any thoughts about it...or other 1990 pro set error cards?

I have posted pics if they downloaded right...

Comments

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it was crimped in the package sealing machine, which isn't all that uncommon.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe it is just the machine that seals the pack imprinted on the card.

• Options

First one that I have came across...i know there's a ton of error cards..im hoping to pull the Dexter Manley error card...we will see

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@donnellmsd_88 said:
    First one that I have came across...i know there's a ton of error cards..im hoping to pull the Dexter Manley error card...we will see

Dexter Manley is only in the Final Update packages, not Series 2.

• Options

Sometimes a card slips out of the pile and gets sealed with the wrapper. That is what you have there.

• Options
    donnellmsd_88donnellmsd_88 Posts: 6
    edited November 1, 2018 7:23PM

I didn't research it enough apparently...i thought Manley was in series 2...looks like I'm gonna have to buy a final update box to rip

• Options

@donnellmsd_88 said:
    I didn't research it enough apparently...i thought Manley was in series 2...looks like I'm gonna have to buy a final update box to rip

I think those were only sold in sealed sets, the Fred Washington "blood on face" is also a tough card from the set.

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

@Largentcollector said:

@donnellmsd_88 said:

I think those were only sold in sealed sets, the Fred Washington "blood on face" is also a tough card from the set.

those were in packs too

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    junkwaxgemsjunkwaxgems Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

@Largentcollector said:

@donnellmsd_88 said:

Correct. 1990 Final Updates were not "officially" issued in wax boxes/packs just mail-away sealed sets. However, like with the 1990 Super Bowl XXV and NBA Hoops cards, some people back then claimed to find cards 753-780 in series 2 boxes.

Manley substance abuse errors come from these sealed sets.
    Rison variations are from these sealed sets.
    A handful of missing bio errors from final update players exist too (Novacek, Hester, Manley).

Series two wax isn't the best in terms of rare variations. Jeff George yellow laces; Hodson, Walsh and Beach missing bio are some of the few scarcities from this series. A handful of rumored transitional or late correction cards could come from series two: Leslie O'Neal, Anthony Miller and Santa Claus (proper quotation marks). All currently unconfirmed though.

In my experience, buying bulk opened boxes, sets, binders, and collections has proven to be the best sources for rare stuff. The thrill of wax is greater but finding large quantities of 1990 Pro Set that seemingly haven't been touched in 20-25 years (beyond someone pulling out the Emmitt RCs) has yielded me some of the rarest finds produced.

fka jacksoncoupage, comc.com: junkwaxgems, ebay: junkwaxgems
  • Options
    Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

JunxWaxGems,

I agree with buying large lots of cards that people will sell for pennies on the dollar...but I just don't know how people can have the time/patience to look for these variations....somebody out there found these variations at some point in time....do they grab multiple copies of the same card and look each over to see if there may be some difference? I have always wondered how people initially find these variations....quite fascinating....

• Options

Thanks for the input everyone...im looking through a box of series one and two..what are some of the best variations to pull from them...

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@donnellmsd_88 said:
    Thanks for the input everyone...im looking through a box of series one and two..what are some of the best variations to pull from them...

https://junkwaxgems.wordpress.com/2010/01/07/complete-1990-pro-set-error-variation-and-oddity-list/

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been having a lot of fun with this stuff recently as well. I've been building 1989-1991 Pro Set football sets and gathering as many of the printing variations as I can find. It's an interesting way to collect and one I have not done before. If anyone wants to share info, I would share/trade cards/info, I'd be up for it although most of what I have thus far is not considered to be really tough stuff.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

I am still going through my pro set cards looking for errors..there are so many...lol..i have probably 40 or so that I've found at this point...lots of printing flaws..wrong birthplace wrong stats..i did finally find a saints jim mora with his name and # in black on the back of the card..thats supposed to be the correct version although I have a couple of his where his name and # is in white...seems that's the easiest of the 2 cards to pull