Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ebay sellers: How do you ship the cheap stuff?

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

Asking for a friend who’s new to the game. Thanks!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

First Class also.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

Usually first class letter - weight plus 21 cent surcharge for "nonmachinable first class" (only for raw coins - slabs are too thick).

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

First class with tracker. $2.66 on PayPal. I'll always charge shipping with the cheap stuff.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ditto here... first class with tracking. Signature confirmation if it goes over $500.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a loose cutoff of $30 to $40 for a raw coin. If the buyer has decent feedback score I put the coin in a 2x2 taped together then taped inside inside a regular letter sized envelope. I mark it "Not Machinable" in red and put an additional .22 cents postage with a forever stamp (.67 total). I've only had one envelope lost since 2009. Never get returns. First class mail, no tracking.

A slabbed coin gets wrapped in bubble wrap til it's 1/2 inch thick. Rubber banded, never taped. Put it into a Dollar Store mailer I cut in half (two for the price of one). My E-Bay label goes over the (now taped) cut seam. I tape over the entire face of the label with high quality clear 2" tape. E-Bay charges $2.66 through their mailing program for a 4 oz package.

These are first class mail with tracking. There is no insurance through the E-Bay program, this is important for really valuable coins. Take those to the post office and purchase insurance.

The key is the package must be 3/4" thick. stupid rule but easy to achieve.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebay shipping with tracking. Few days ago I sold a coin for 99 cents and the shipping costs me 2.66 and I charge 2.95

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2018 2:43PM

I use first class with tracking under to about $50 then go priority usually. Not adding tracking can have an unfavorable effect on seller metrics that eBay is using to classify a seller based on performance and fees they have to pay.

I pay $3.50 per first class and about $6.70 for priority. Sales over $300 get signature confirmation added to priority.
    I also always put items in a resealed bubble mailer that has previously been delivered to me, with my address

TWICE priority (one box one envelope) packages have opened in shipping and contents came back to me postage due. Better than lost in the sauce somewhere. I use extra tape on priority packaging

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    I use first class with tracking under to about $50 then go priority usually. Not adding tracking can have an unfavorable effect on seller metrics that eBay is using to classify a seller based on performance and fees they have to pay.

I pay $3.50 per first class and about $6.70 for priority. Sales over $300 get signature confirmation added to priority.
    I also always put items in a resealed bubble mailer that has previously been delivered to me, with my address

TWICE priority (one box one envelope) packages have opened in shipping and contents came back to me postage due. Better than lost in the sauce somewhere. I use extra tape on priority packaging

You are paying too much for 1st class 4 oz with delivery conf.

If you purchase via eBay or PayPal up to 4 oz is $2.66.

eBay and PayPal give you a discount.

GrandAm :)
  • Options

I agree after seeing what others pay. I never tried the eBay postage and worry about being overweight

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebay sellers: How do you ship the cheap stuff?

I tuck them in the Priority Mail box, free with the good stuff.
    Lance.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can mail (2) dollar size coins in a small bubble mailer for 4 oz.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

First class with a bar coded label. Never had one lost in the US. Never buy insurance, almost never pay for signature confirmation. 10's of thousands of packages.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2018 4:02PM

I offer free shipping charge a transaction fee tack on in the item price to cover shipx costs.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

First class and I recycle bubble mailers from coins I purchase.

• Options
    davids5104davids5104 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭

I sell a single nickel (ungraded) or a silver dime (ungraded) that has a total value to less than 2 bucks and will put in a flip and ship in an envelope with a forever stamp. If they do not receive it I will send another and block them. I do not know if they did not receive it but that is my way. BTW, I have never had to do this yet.

[Ebay Store - Come Visit]

Roosevelt Registry

transactions with cucamongacoin, FHC, mtinis, bigjpst, Rob41281, toyz4geo, erwindoc, add your name here!!!

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gtstang said:

I once received a purchase in a bubble mailer that looked like it had been tampered with. Told carrier to return to sender and sent message to seller. He said it looked open because he had recycled the bubble mailer and used it to send my purchase to me. I will continue to refuse bubble mailers that appear to have been tampered with.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer paypal printed USPS shippling labels. $2.66 bubble mailer postage for 4 ounces or less. Automatically uploads tracking number to ebay. If you haven't used it give it a try.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka If your friend is just getting started this might be the prefect time to train a fleet of Carrier Pigeons ;):p

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    I agree after seeing what others pay. I never tried the eBay postage and worry about being overweight

you get an adequate scale for under $10

• Options
    jafo50jafo50 Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

If you are going to use ebay postage to ship your item don't forget to click on the 'ebay rates' once you get to the postal rate screen. The default is the regular Postal Rates.

Successful BST transactions with lordmarcovan, Moldnut, erwindoc

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2018 6:17AM

@davewesen said:

@Aspie_Rocco said:

you get an adequate scale for under $10

Put another way, you can get a scale that will pay for itself after sending 10-15 packages.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2018 6:47AM

I print out eBay shipx label, wrap coin in sm bubble wrap, put in padded kraft mailer (bought off Ebay get 2 dozen at time cheap), attach shipx label, include business card, attach fragile label, drop off coin at post office (beats heck outta standing in line). Slabs weigh 3-4oz costs me $2.66 ship. I have a digital scale bought off eBay. For items over say $150 to $200 or so may add ins / sig conf.

Business has been booming for me online, shows while fun setting up good buys more lookey looks (broke) and flippers who don’t pay anything and waste of my time.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@gtstang said:

I once received a purchase in a bubble mailer that looked like it had been tampered with. Told carrier to return to sender and sent message to seller. He said it looked open because he had recycled the bubble mailer and used it to send my purchase to me. I will continue to refuse bubble mailers that appear to have been tampered with.

I always tape it very well along all edges plus I print the label on 8.5x11 paper and leave extra space when I cut out the label to wrap over the edge I previously cut on the recycled bubble mailer. Used bubble mailers are also great for wrapping around slabbed coins being shipped also. Saves money and creates less waste.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sending stuff 'cheap' is not as important as protecting yourself with eBay 'rules' to lower claims, low stars and negatives.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Asking for a friend......yah, right..... :D

I'm surprised what a nice discount there is by printing the postage from ebay, easy tracking, etc.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:

I'm surprised what a nice discount there is by printing the postage from ebay, easy tracking, etc.

Lest eBay get too much credit, their rates are the same as any online postage source. I pay for a subscription through Endicia because it lets me print labels in batch mode through my listing software (and prints invoices at the same time--helpful if I ship 50-100 packages in a sitting), but the rates are the same. You can also go to the USPS website to print a label, though I think some of the cheaper services aren't available there; similarly, Endicia has more options than eBay shipping.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for all the input, folks! I will be sure to share all of this with (Tim, are you paying attention?) my friend.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

In answer to the OP.... From what I have experienced on the buyer side.... Very poorly. I have been unhappy with several purchases, so poorly packed that I am surprised the product arrived undamaged. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:
    I don't bother with the cheap stuff anymore as that's a different level of eBay consumer who will have you jumping through hoops to satisfy and still leave you negative feedback afterward.

I sell mostly cheap stuff, including 99 cent crap, and never have returns or negative feed back.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:

@Lakesammman said:

Lest eBay get too much credit, their rates are the same as any online postage source. I pay for a subscription through Endicia because it lets me print labels in batch mode through my listing software (and prints invoices at the same time--helpful if I ship 50-100 packages in a sitting), but the rates are the same. You can also go to the USPS website to print a label, though I think some of the cheaper services aren't available there; similarly, Endicia has more options than eBay shipping.

This is NOT true if you get the top seller rate. They are cheaper than USPS online and all the others I've checked including PayPal.

• Options
    edited October 30, 2018 12:13PM

@ricko said:
    In answer to the OP.... From what I have experienced on the buyer side.... Very poorly. I have been unhappy with several purchases, so poorly packed that I am surprised the product arrived undamaged. Cheers, RickO

I echo this sentiment. I got a coin in the mail today, a cherrypickers Variety unknown to seller, it came in a paper envelope with a stamp. In a 1.5x1.5 flip wrapped in a layer of news paper. When I opened it the coin FELL OUT having split the thin plastic of the flip. :s It was a $9 purchase, nice pick, but soured by cheapskate shipping. I would have gladly paid $5 more for a decent bubble mailer, to avoid dropping coins.

Paper envelopes are really careless to me. Anything could hit the coin or dent it if the envelope is dropped in transit or tossed around. Sellers who ship in paper, At least put some cardboard or something to pad it.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had gold coins arrive in cheap paper envelopes with a stamp. Ugh.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco said:

It's a common worry. Eat smaller portions.
    Lance.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cheap isn't postage when I buy proof sets for less than what it costs to ship them. And, they are cheaper, every day on eBay.
    This is good for the hobby & collectors, though.

Final answer : USPS.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file