Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A time to toast.

CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know its not much, in fact I only paid $25. (the Brits were thrown in for free) But, it marks the very first slabbed Morgan I have ever purchased. Can yall show me some real doosies, something I can aim for?

Comments

• Options

Lets try again :)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well... with the British coins included, that seems like a reasonable deal.... Is that a Cabernet in the glass? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

All that for 25$. A bargain, as at least one (if not three) of the BVI coins are sterling silver, if I recall correctly.

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's worth a toast, and it looks like you came out ahead. I p/u Franklin mint sets like this too when I can get them on the skinny. The foreign coin proofs Franklin Mint produced are underrated, and quite pleasing IMHO.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great deal, congratulations !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options

@ricko said:
    Well... with the British coins included, that seems like a reasonable deal.... Is that a Cabernet in the glass? Cheers, RickO

Indeed it is, was :)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever...Nice coins and a great wine..... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

@PocketArt said:
    That's worth a toast, and it looks like you came out ahead. I p/u Franklin mint sets like this too when I can get them on the skinny. The foreign coin proofs Franklin Mint produced are underrated, and quite pleasing IMHO.

At this particular pawn the owner says he has vast amounts of proof sets that he will soon bring for me. And I really enjoy busting those open ( but not with the hammer :) in hopes of hitting MS 70 DCAM. I currently have an 83, 84, & 85 1c's that could make the grade and I will soon find out. And if they fall short and hit 69 thats okay as they still have a 27.00 value. I think I have become a cameonut but that name is already taken.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every day is a good day to celebrate. Ahhhh, the coin world.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

The BVI set makes the deal OK. The Morgan, in XF45, even in a PCGS slab, is just a base value, common Morgan. Do you really want to be putting money into Morgan's like that?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

Whoops PR70 not MS

• Options

@291fifth said:
    The BVI set makes the deal OK. The Morgan, in XF45, even in a PCGS slab, is just a base value, common Morgan. Do you really want to be putting money into Morgan's like that?

I guess not? So your saying I need to look for higher grades and not so common years?

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:

@291fifth said:

I guess not? So your saying I need to look for higher grades and not so common years?

Collect what you want and can afford. The problem comes when it comes time to sell. Morgan dollars are very, very common coins and need to be "something special" be it rarity or eye-appeal if you want more than what a base value coin will bring. I sold some "base value" Morgans earlier this year and can speak from experience that dealers regard them as a commodity items and nothing more.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@291fifth said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

@291fifth said:

Collect what you want and can afford. The problem comes when it comes time to sell. Morgan dollars are very, very common coins and need to be "something special" be it rarity or eye-appeal if you want more than what a base value coin will bring. I sold some "base value" Morgans earlier this year and can speak from experience that dealers regard them as a commodity items and nothing more.

I see, and that makes good sense. I need to read more of that lil red book...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file