Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

fake Dahlonega 1854-D $5 on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/382607738125?ul_noapp=true

Looks crudely cast, shouldn't fool anybody.

Comments

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well it has fooled 8 so far, or 8 bids anyway. That is what TPGS's are for.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless you can provide all of us the reasons you believe this coin is a crude cast, perhaps it should be better to confine your comments to plants!

• Options

Medium D. Just a quick look the date looks weak and the 1 in the date which is normally a bit low is even lower in that one. I just do not have the skills necessary to buy coins like that uncertified. If real it is a great deal now, but may go much higher before the bidding ends.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    Unless you can provide all of us the reasons you believe this coin is a crude cast, perhaps it should be better to confine your comments to plants!

It might be cast but sure doesn't look crudely cast.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin compares favorable to the Medium D on coinfacts.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Genuine, but tooled and smoothed on the neck, face, and obverse fields (presumably to remove bag marks).

• Options

Details. Oh well. With a clean bill of health, I would be tempted.

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

I'd like to add that this board is a great resource to help identify potential counterfeits and eBay scams, etc. I appreciate it a great deal more when suspect listings are posted here for input, rather than called out as bad with insufficient knowledge and support - this borders on irresponsible.

FWIW, @dcarr and @Insider2 provided excellent input reflective of the expertise available here.

• Options
    Winchester1873Winchester1873 Posts: 201 ✭✭✭✭

I don’t believe it’s fake. The date and mint mark match photos from Doug Winters book and PCGS Price Guide. Another eBay seller had the attached rare variety 1848-D/D $5 in the raw. It sold for around $4000 with over 50 bids. I guess if you are willing to run the risk, or you have a trained eye for cleaned coins, you can snatch a great deal! Does it matter this particular seller has 100% good reviews??

• Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks real to me...I'd guess it will come back in a Details holder however...

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin does seem to have the dreaded "fatty letter disease." My guess is that it is genuine, but it has been messed with in some way. I don’t have an 1854-D half eagle, but I do have a high grade 1853-D. You can compare the lettering to see what I mean by “fatty letters.” The photos are slightly out of focus which might explain the problem.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file