Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Old Numismatic Certification Institute certificate and coins

WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

My understanding is these are grading certificates issue by Steve Ivy and Jim Halperin (Heritage) back in the date. I picked up four silver dollars today... note the stated valuesof the coins!! Interesting certificates from the early days of formal coin grading.

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website

Comments

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins and I have found them to be fairly accurate. The one thing they usually missed was altered surfaces.

Quick glance at yours:

-Peace dollar looks good.
    -1902-O looks undergraded
    -1900-O looks altered surfaces, but if it's not, nice.
    -1904-O looks overgraded, and tough to tell on the PL from the image.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love those old photo grades !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few I keep for sentimental reasons. Neat to look at the old ways. :)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice... I have seen them at coin shows years ago.... Now they should be preserved as part of coin authentication history. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭

I probably would have bought those also, they are cool.

All of your coins have the same obv/rev grade, do you know if they issued separate grades for obv/rev like the old ANA photo certs?

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2018 10:28AM

I like em. You usually see them in aftermarket brown vinyl folders. BU common dates (all I've ever seen in them IIRC) tend to sell in the $100 +/- range. When I see them at shows for around $50 +/- I always pick them up for a quick flip and VAM attribution just in case..

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins are nice enough I may submit to PCGS - but will keep papers to match up coins with old grades.

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool stuff!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file