Home U.S. Coin Forum

1928-s counterfeit buffalo nickel right off of eBay a few days ago.........

BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a 1928s counterfeit buffalo nickel from ebay

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

Comments

• BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2018 4:44AM

There is also a 1927s counterfeit that looks exactly like this one.
    Note the mishapen front leg on the bison.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a nice one.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems there are counterfeits for most of the coins now...coins, slabs - next we will see counterfeit tokens and medals... Probably already out there... :/ Cheers, RickO

• KoinickerKoinicker Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

Great find. Now I need to add this one and the 1927-S to my list.

• gonzergonzer Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

The buffalo's profile is hilarious. Looks like it's got the goatee of an Egyptian statuette.

• coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭✭

Ouch! Good catch @BUFFNIXX on this coin and fortunately it has diagnostics that are easy to spot (for you). But what about a coin of The Omega High Relief quality. Not necessarily that coin but a coin that well made. Wear it down to where the tooling marks, bubbles, and other diagnostics are gone. Could anyone tell?

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2018 1:36PM

Counterfeiters are either getting lazy or have figured out another avenue. Counterfeiting low grade Morgans you'd have to make a thousand to get rich. Here is an article from my local paper:

"LINDEN — State police are looking for a man who passed a counterfeit bill at the Sheetz store along Route 220 at Linden.
    Police said that on Sept. 26 at around noon, a man arrived at Sheetz by unknown means and passed a counterfeit $10 bill."

$10.00 bills! Is there nothing they won't fake and how many tens would you have to make and pass to turn a good profit?

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

why

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

edited October 24, 2018 7:04AM

@Kkathyl said:
    why

for any counterfeiter, profit is usually the motive. For example in the early part of this century, I believe it was in the
    “aughts” there was a large proliferation of chineese sellers on eBay who were peddling so-called copies of buffalo nickels that had the word “COPY” in the field on the reverse. These sold for about two bucks each, and when people started to order them they were delighted to find that they had a coin with no word copy on it anywhere! These became popular and they then started to show up on eBay as real coins!! I notified many a seller that the coin he was listing was a chineese fake. Some were indignant because they knew exactly what they were doing while some were earnest that they themselves were fooled and had taken a bath on their purchase price.

There were fakes made for all dates and mints between 1913 and 1938 with the exception of the type one coins. There were hilarious chins fakes made of the 1918/7-d nickel that would not fool anyone, same goes for the 1937d 3 legged bison
    And these chineese fakes will come back to haunt the unknowing collector for a long time to co me.

One more thing, these were even being offered as complete sets, so I am assuming a lot of this fakes were sold this way.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinhack said:
    Ouch! Good catch @BUFFNIXX on this coin and fortunately it has diagnostics that are easy to spot (for you). But what about a coin of The Omega High Relief quality. Not necessarily that coin but a coin that well made. Wear it down to where the tooling marks, bubbles, and other diagnostics are gone. Could anyone tell?

Probably not, Coinhack. As you know we still have problems with some of the ones we're looking at right now.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

@BUFFNIXX Thank you so much for the history on these. I was not aware of this happening on the early days of the Ebay coin selling. I report anything I know to be fake, and I always notify any reputable sellers of any of my concerns. I really love the buffalo Nickel and am appreciative for folks like you here on the thread to enlighten us on this.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

Not to change subject but wanted to post a common buffalo as a TY.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kkathyl said:
    Not to change subject but wanted to post a common buffalo as a TY.

Looks like a D/D to me.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you collecting counterfeits now?

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
    edited May 10, 2024 5:18PM

@crazyhounddog said:

I do pick them up when available. I think I have the following now.
    1) 1916-s which was produced in large quantities and seemed to show up on flea bay regularly.
    2) 1921-d fully profile from eBay early 21st century, from China.
    2) 1922 which is unique as far as I have been able to determine.
    2) 1925
    3) 1927
    4) 1928s
    4) 1935 (with the decapitated buffalo)
    5) 1936 two legger (2 of them)

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's one that I have. It's by far the highest grade 1935 counterfeit I've seen. This and the similar 1936 were listed in the "Variety and Oddity" book by Spadone in the early 60s and were thought to be genuine coins back then. To those familiar with the Buffalo nickel it's very obvious that they are fakes mainly due to the many missing details of the design. Note too the huge retained cud on the reverse.

• OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:
    Here's one that I have. It's by far the highest grade 1935 counterfeit I've seen. This and the similar 1936 were listed in the "Variety and Oddity" book by Spadone in the early 60s and were thought to be genuine coins back then. To those familiar with the Buffalo nickel it's very obvious that they are fakes mainly due to the many missing details of the design. Note too the huge retained cud on the reverse.

That's a cool one. I have a 35, not nearly as nice, with what would be at least four errors or varieties if it was real, 2-feathers, no F, seriously rotated reverse, and missing legs or parts of legs. No retained cud, though.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).

Missing neck, too. Almost invariably both this date and the nearly identical 1936 come in low grade. The 1935 is by far the scarcer of the two in any grade.

Detached feather and broken nose also. The more ya look the more ya find. Maybe a broken die if not a retained cud.

Please take a look at this “overdate” buffalo nickel for sale on flea bay right now!!!

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

Another picture of the same coin as shown above

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

That shouldn't fool anyone. Why does ebay even allow this type of stuff?

and finally one more of the above so-called unc overdate

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
    edited October 31, 2018 2:01PM

This coin, or rather “co n” as shown above, is offered with a starting bid of only a grand!
    This is one of the “overdates” that came from China in the early part of this century. (The early aughts) The date is a distorted joke.
    But sadly I bet there are some people out there who would jump at the chance to own an uncirculated 1918/7-d nickel for only a thousand dollars.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

e-bay is only after profit as long as people pay the fees they care less what those people sell

@BUFFNIXX said:

@crazyhounddog said:

1) 1916-s which was produced in large quantities and seemed to show up on flea bay regularly.
    2) 1925
    3) 1927
    4) 1928s
    4) 1935 (with the decapitaged buffalo)

That is quite a collection. Have you gone so far as to learn the history of these counterfeits? Some do have some cool history attached to them.
    An interesting idea for a collection I've never thought of doing.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
    edited October 31, 2018 2:07PM

I would think by now someone would have reported this to eBay and taken it down. I will track this to see if that happens.

If anyone wants to take a look at this coin on eBay the item number is 173616808476

Just copy and paste this number into the search line, do a search on the number, and you will be taken right to the
    auction.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
    edited October 31, 2018 2:16PM

Here's one I use to own. I sold it to a guy wanting a 25-d counterfeit. Yes I told him what it was so don't get any crazy ideas.
    All told this is one serious counterfeit as you can easily see. Pretty well done. The obverse is the dead giveaway. Very grainy to say the least. The reverse is a different story. Although pretty good you can easily see the filing on the rim of the reverse down around the 4-6 o'clock area or so.

@crazyhounddog said:

@BUFFNIXX said:

@crazyhounddog said:

2) 1925
    3) 1927
    4) 1928s

That is quite a collection. Have you gone so far as to learn the history of these counterfeits? Some do have some cool history attached to them.

I have not really looked into the history of these coins. So I am basically a novice at this but it is very interesting.
    If you wanted to got for a complete set, you could get all 1913 type two issues from 1913 to 1938 as well as the 1916 doubled die, the 1918/7-d, and the 1938-d three legged.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

@BUFFNIXX said:

@crazyhounddog said:

@BUFFNIXX said:

@crazyhounddog said:

2) 1925
    3) 1927
    4) 1928s

I have not really looked into the history of these coins. So I am basically a novice at this but it is very interesting.
    If you wanted to got for a complete set, you could get all 1913 type two issues from 1913 to 1938 as well as the 1916 doubled die, the 1918/7-d, and the 1938-d three legged.

Scary >:)

Reported-for all the good that will do.

@koynekwest said:

What is reported?

@crazyhounddog said:

@koynekwest said:

What is reported?

Koynequest reported the “1918/7-d” I pictured above as a fake to eBay.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
    edited October 31, 2018 2:24PM

@crazyhounddog said:
    Here's one I use to own. I sold it to a guy wanting a 25-d counterfeit. Yes I told him what it was so don't get any crazy ideas.
    All told this is one serious counterfeit as you can easily see. Pretty well done. The obverse is the dead giveaway. Very grainy to say the least. The reverse is a different story. Although pretty good you can easily see the filing on the rim of the reverse down around the 4-6 o'clock area or so.

Very deceptive and would fool a lot of people. The person who did this has done an excellent job to say the least.
    unlike the 1928s and 1916s coin pictured above.

I would refer to this one as 1925d domestic counterfeit as opposed the the other one for the 25d which would be
    1925d Chineese counterfeit.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

@koynekwest said:

What is reported?

Joe-
    There's a "report" option on ebay for counterfeits and other bogus or misrepresented items. It used to mean something. I'm not so sure it has any meaning these days.

This is the reply I just received from the seller of that "overdate" Buff-

Dear coinquest1961,

Hello! That s the first time I ve heard that...

I believe it and will take it off tonight.

• duffsretreat

We'll see if he means it.

HOWS THIS FOR A 1916 TYPE TWO STANDING LIBERTY QUARTER??
    BEING OFFERED ON FLEA BAY RIGHT NOW FOR A FEW BUCKS.....

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

Above would fit nicely in a circulated set of standing liberty quarters!!!

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:
    Detached feather and broken nose also. The more ya look the more ya find. Maybe a broken die if not a retained cud.

Do you still own this coin?

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

that's that dude that was beat up behind the crazy horse in vegas

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@burfle23 said:

@koynekwest said:

Do you still own this coin?

Unfortunately member koynekwest (Ron Pope) passed away a few years ago.

Collector, occasional seller

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file