Home Sports Talk
Options

First pro games that you attended

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

MLB: 1964 or 65...Tiger game at Tiger Stadium. Went with the Cub Scouts,

NFL: December 1969, Dallas vs Washington at the Cotton Bowl

NHL: The Wings 1970 or 71. The Olympia, Detroit,

NBA: 1973 or 1974 Pistons at Cobo Hall, Detroit*

• saw Frank Zappa at Cobo in 1974. More memorable than the Pistons game! ;)

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2018 2:25AM

Had to be around 1977. Pats vs Detroit or Steelers, I can’t remember which was first but they were both in either 1976 or 1977. From what I remember from the Steelers game there was this annoying lady behind us yelling “ C’mon Teeery” rooting for Bradshaw and yelling his name with some weird accent. Not sure if it was the Steelers or Lions game but we were up high near one of the gates and I must have saw about 10 fights right out side of the gate.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2018 4:13AM

MLB - 1971 - Pirates at San Diego - Bat Night. First 10K or so kids got a free full-sized bat.
    NFL - 1981 - Chargers. I worked at SD Stadium for the parking co, and got into the games for free.
    MISL - 1981 - SD Sockers at the SD Sports Arena. The parking co I worked for also handled the Sockers' games.
    NBA - 1985 - Spurs against some team I don't remember.
    USFL - 1985 - San Antonio Gunslingers against some other team.
    NHL - 1995 - StL Blues at Denver against the Avalanche, during Gretzky's time in StL.

I've seen MLB games at SD Stadium (Jack Murphy/Qualcomm), Anaheim Stadium, Astrodome, MInute Maid Park, Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium, the Ballpark at Arlington, and Coors Field. I've seen NFL games at SD Stadium, MIle High Stadium and the Alamodome. I've been to NBA games at McNichols Arena (Denver) and Hemisfair Arena (San Antonio), and NHL games at McNichols, the Calgary Saddledome, American Airlines Arena (Dallas), and the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

Steve

• Options

""NFL - 1981 - Chargers. I worked at SD Stadium for the parking co, and got into the games for free.""

That would be payment enough!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2018 5:04AM

1959 Phillies vs. SF Giants, Connie Mack Stadium
    1971 Eagles vs. Giants, Veterans Stadium
    1971 Flyers vs. Islanders, Spectrum
    198? Celtics vs. ? I was in the corporate box of the John Hancock Insurace Company. It was one of the last time sports announcer Johnny Most appeared in public. They rolled him out on a semi gurney. Most was a very partisan announcer for the Celtic for a number of years. As an avid 76ers fan I hated him.

My father only liked baseball well enough to attend a game so that was why I got to go to that game at age 10. It was a one sided Giants win. The Giants were driving toward the pennant, but fell apart at the end of the season to the Dodgers and Milwaukee Braves. My mother was really impressed with rookie Willie McCovey.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

1963 Bills at the Rock Pile
    1973 Buffalo Braves Basketball
    1971 Buffalo Bisons Hockey
    1980's Detroit Tigers or Cleveland Indians
    !973 June 22nd Dark Side of the Moon...Pink Floyd <---- Not my first concert but the GOAT

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually forgot about my first trip to Fenway, it was easily 1975 or 1976 and I remember my Grandfather took the entire family. I also remember the ballplayers on the field throwing the ball up and n the air and taking a step forward and catching the ball behind their back without looking, totally different atmosphere back in the 70’s

• Options

Last pro game was Tigers in 1994. Friend wanted to see Ken Griffey Jr. with Seattle. Discouraging as the good (but mostly empty) seats were locked up by the season ticket holders. Highlight was KG fielding an errant beach ball.

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

First game ever attended was May 22 nd 1960 at Briggs Stadium Detroit.
    Tigers took both games of a doubleheader from Boston.
    Winning pitchers Game 1 Jim Bunning,second game Hank Aguirre.
    Charlie Maxwell hit 2 homers .Ted Williams hit a double in the game.
    Jimmy Dykes Tiger manager benched Rocky Colavito both games as hitting well under 200 at the time.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options

@fiveniner said:
    First game ever attended was May 22 nd 1960 at Briggs Stadium Detroit.
    Tigers took both games of a doubleheader from Boston.
    Winning pitchers Game 1 Jim Bunning,second game Hank Aguirre.
    Charlie Maxwell hit 2 homers .Ted Williams hit a double in the game.
    Jimmy Dykes Tiger manager benched Rocky Colavito both games as hitting well under 200 at the time.

Epic!

• Options
    electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

1959 Detroit Olympia Habs vs.Wings as an 9 yr old boy we met Maurice Richard and Henri in the lobby before the game.
    California Angels at Briggs Stadium,i recall the players had flat top baseball hats with halos on the top,in 1973 my buddy and i drove to Montreal from Windsor in a blinding snowstorm to see the first year Islanders play the Habs also Bob Dylan was playing with The Band at the Forum that week ,the day before the concert my friend slipped the ticket guy $10 and he gave us second row seats! In 1976 i attended my first formula 1 race at Mosport Park near Toronto at first i thought they looked like flying saucers on the ground they were going so fast, James Hunt won in a McLaren.

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

MLB- Yankees at Tigers. Think it was 1977 Mark The Bird pitched against the Yankees
    NFL- Thanksgiving day 1980 Bears at Lions
    NHL- Can't remember, but it was the Red Wings at home. Probably around 1979 or 80 season because my grandfather was still alive and healthy and he died in 1983
    NBA- It was early 2000s, can't remember. The Celtics played the Hawks at the arena where the Ga Tech yellowjackets normally play.

• Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

Is almost everyone on here from Detroit? :o

I don't remember the specific games, but I do remember the Red Wings at the Olympia when I was wee little. It had to be 1960-ish.
    The Tigers when I was about 10. I really don't remember the game, but earlier that morning was a clinic on fundamentals with some of the players. I was this far from Bill Freehan, and Norm Cash. I went to as many games as I could afford in 67 & 68.
    Lions - the last game of the 1975 season against the Cards which we lost at the Silverdome. Between the accumulating smoke and fog in there, visibility was less than 150 yards as the diagonally opposite corner was obscured.
    I never attended a pro basketball game until the Heats' inaugural season after I moved to FL.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe it was a Red Sox game with my Dad but I cannot remember it. Unfortunately he died when I was five.

Two years later, I remember my uncle took my mother and I to a Celtics game at the Boston Garden. We went out to dinner afterwards and my uncle told me that there was a famous recently retired player sitting a few tables over and had me go get his autograph. It was John Havlicek.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2018 9:51AM

@BillJones said:
    It was one of the last time sports announcer Johnny Most appeared in public. They rolled him out on a semi gurney. Most was a very partisan announcer for the Celtic for a number of years. As an avid 76ers fan I hated him.

As a lifelong Celtics fan I loved him. If any of you have never heard him you should take a listen. He is a legend.
    "Very partisan" is a great way to describe him.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@BillJones said:
    It was one of the last time sports announcer Johnny Most appeared in public. They rolled him out on a semi gurney. Most was a very partisan announcer for the Celtic for a number of years. As an avid 76ers fan I hated him.

As a lifelong Celtics fan I loved him. If any of you have never heard him you should take a listen. He is a legend.
    "Very partisan" is a great way to describe him.

Some what Most had to say would not have passed the muster today. For example when Whit Chamberlin and Hal Greer were the star players for the 1967, 76ers, they had a big power forward named Luke Jackson. Some people called him “the little Wilt.” Most made some racial comments about how he was nothing more than “a big, no talent gorilla.” Jackson was more than that. He had a decent outside shot and was a force in the paint. He might have had a great career had he not totally wrecked his knee.

Most was just jealous because the 76’s had the better team that year. Most and Celtics coach, Red Auerbach, were not good winners or losers. They always felt like they had to rub it in when they beat the opposing team, and they had constant complains when they lost. It built the rivalry between the teams, but feelings were a lot nastier than they were say between the Yankees and Red Sox fans.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Phillies-Dodgers at Connie Mack sradium in 1959. Phillies won 2-1.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

MLB: 1993. Boston vs. Seattle (w/Griffey), Fenway.

NFL: December 6, 1992; SF 49er vs. Miami Dolphins, Young vs Marino, Candlestick Park, 27-3 9ers

NHL: Fall 1988, Post Gretzky era, new Messier era, Edmonton Oilers vs. someone, Northlands Coliseum

NBA: Fall 1973 Portland vs. someone, Memorial Coliseum

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...