Home U.S. Coin Forum

Who's Got Rattlers?

I am wondering which coin dealers are most known for carrying a large amount of PCGS Rattler Holders, if any?

Comments

• tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭

I have a rattlesnake preserve, across the street from my place in NC.

As far as coins I have one of those red boxes full of then, most purchased in the 1990s

• KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have lots of specialty dealers now, some deal primarily with seated coins, or modern stuff, or whatever. I don't think that there is a particular dealer who is focused on slabs just yet. Im sure that one will come along sometime as slab collecting matures.

Which would be cool.

• Sportscards1086Sportscards1086 Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    edited October 20, 2018 11:07AM

@ilikemonsters said:
    I am wondering which coin dealers are most known for carrying a large amount of PCGS Rattler Holders, if any?

Deleted...

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,127 ✭✭✭✭✭

The holder posted with the 1964 JFK PR67 half dollar is generally considered an old green holder (OGH) and not a rattler since the coins didn't rattle in that generation.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom is right, I have come across quite a few dogs in rattlers. Especially copper coins that were graded RD when encapsulated and now might generously be called RB. Even my 1938 PR64RD cent has a huge nasty old thumbprint right in front of Abe's mug, which (I think) if I cracked it out and resent it might give it a "details" grade today.

But there are more stunners than dogs. Remember, back in the early PCGS days, there were tremendous delays in getting things slabbed. Even a slot on the submission queue could be sold for a profit. There was really no incentive for anyone to submit anything other than their best stuff. Most of the potentially overgraded coins I've seen in rattlers were the common coins, mostly Morgans and Saints, which probably can be described as the closest thing to "bulk graded" during the early days. But most of the "collector" coins (as opposed to "investor" coins) that I see in the old holders are superior to coins in modern holders of the same grade.

And then there's the fun part of going into a new B&M and asking if they have anything in the old holders, and seeing them come out of the back room with boxes of randoms. And I've picked up a few really cool oddballs that wind up in the "box of random crap" that every dealer seems to stash their rattlers in. Sure, most of them have been picked over for upgrades and, in the set I'm building, for cam or dcam designations, which didn't exist back then. But sometimes you can still find a gem in hiding (My 1956 PR68 25c is probably the best silver Washington I've ever seen).

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 20, 2018 2:48PM

Rattlers happen....

And so do bad photos

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,127 ✭✭✭✭✭

I may as well toss in a front and back slab shot, as well. The Connecticut commem is my favorite issue from the classic silver series-

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think these are rattlers. :smiley: I have some proofs too. Did not realize there that Old...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

My only current rattler:

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the "old " holders too!

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I have a couple... and this one I saw on the mountain last week...Cheers, RickO

OK. I'm being funny, If you want rattlers go to Arizona.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail ....Hi Pete... I agree, I lived there for 8 years... and I was just out there for two weeks in September....Lots of rattlesnakes out there....Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file