Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Newbie here - with a 2000 $5 American Gold Eagle coin (MIB) to ask about...

Hello all! I'm new here, obviously :smile: , and I could use your help:

My uncle recently gave me a few coins and asked me to sell them for him, as his late wife had bought them and never bothered opening them.

At least one of them is a 2000 $5 american gold eagle of the millennium coin, in its blue velvet box, with a certificate of authenticity. I also have the receipt from the purchase to help validate it, if needed, but idk... is that even necessary? I'm clueless about coinage, sorry!

My questions are as follows:

What details are important to collectors, that I should include? (for this listing, and just generally speaking - I have more coins to sort through...)
What photos (besides the ones I'm uploading here) should I include?
Can you give me a price check on what this coin usually goes for?
Lastly, would Buy It Now be a solid option, or are these so rare I should put it to auction?

Thanks in advance for any advice you give me! I appreciate it!

PS. If I've missed an introductions forum somewhere, kindly point me towards it, and I'll go make a post, with my apologies for missing it. :)

Link to my one coin for sale will be here when I figure out where to sell it, eventually.

Comments

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2018 6:22PM

Welcome to CU ...... nice coin! Good year; turn of the century 1/10 gold <3

• Options
    bugbitbugbit Posts: 155 ✭✭✭

Welcome. Its a bullion coin so not very rare. I'd search the recently sold listings on ebay to see what they are fetching. Good luck

• Options

Thank you for the warm welcome! :)

Link to my one coin for sale will be here when I figure out where to sell it, eventually.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jyffam said:

Welcome

Straight bullion. About $120 these days.

• Options

Oof! Thanks for the number! I may have misjudged, based on recently sold listings. (>_<)

• Options

Worth $125 to $130 range.

Specializing in coins with "thin film interference" & "sulfur impregnated surfaces" due to hanging out with "old bags" and "wrappers"
  • Options

@jyffam said:

Welcome

Look at all the listings. I see raw coins from $100 to $140. You might get slightly more if it had the original packaging and COA. You have an after market cert, not the original, and aftermarket packaging , not the original.

• Options

It's 1/10 oz gold. Made as a bullion coin. Still a bullion coin. Take the spot price of gold and divide by 10. Easy peasy.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    It's 1/10 oz gold. Made as a bullion coin. Still a bullion coin. Take the spot price of gold and divide by 10. Easy peasy.

Aside from the math, this is chinese to me. :D

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@jyffam said:

Welcome

Look at all the listings. I see raw coins from $100 to $140. You might get slightly more if it had the original packaging and COA. You have an after market cert, not the original, and aftermarket packaging , not the original.

Ohhhhh, I had no idea this was even a thing! Thanks for the info!
    What does the original packaging look like? (in case he has more in the box of coins he gave me to sort through)

• Options

@jyffam said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Aside from the math, this is chinese to me. :D

The COA you are looking at comes from some secondary market salesman. It makes the coin sound special. It's not. A 2000 $5 eagle is no different than a 1999 or a 2001.

If you are looking at eBay, you've also got all the slabbed coins which you can't compare to and the proof coins which you can't compare to. The most recent sale is:

https://ebay.com/itm/2000-American-Eagle-5-Coin-1-10-oz-Gold/232946548131?hash=item363cb23da3:g:baQAAOSwdbVbpyCU

The one before that:

https://ebay.com/itm/2000-American-Eagle-5-Gold-Coin-US-Mint-1-10-OZ-Uncirculated-Brand-NEW/273485577506?hash=item3fad02bd22:g:90kAAOSwX2xbrux0

• Options

@jyffam said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jyffam said:

Welcome

What does the original packaging look like? (in case he has more in the box of coins he gave me to sort through)

It may not have come in one. A lot of those are just sold in tubes. There were some eagles sold in Mint boxes but, honestly, I forget whether those were just the silver eagles or whether some gold eagles were sold that way also.

• Options

@jyffam said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jyffam said:

Welcome

https://ebay.com/itm/2018-1-10-oz-Gold-American-Eagle-BU-w-U-S-Mint-Box-SKU-152746/123108029815?hash=item1ca9cf7577:g:f00AAOSwfZta50do

• Options

1/10th the spot price of gold. Now and always. Really not worth any more of your time or mine. Move on to the other items.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Likely it was bought in bulk (not with packaging) and then packed up for a TV "special" type deal. I suspect that your receipt is considerable higher than it's worth today. Easy to get caught up in TV coin sales and unfortunately it rarely turns out good for the buyer (price wise).

bob :)
    welcome by the way!

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome, the advice you have been given is sound.

• Options
    jyffamjyffam Posts: 14
    edited October 17, 2018 7:33PM

Thanks so much, to everyone! This has really been eye-opening... I assume I'll be back with more questions as I sort through this box, though. :# Bear with me, and thanks again!

PS. Until now, when I've heard the word "bullion", I've always thought "beef". :D

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome and good luck !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

AGE'S (American gold eagles) have been struck since 1986 in 1/10th, 1/4, 1/2 and 1 oz sizes. They are all 91.67% gold (22 karat), 3% silver, and 5.33% copper. Welcome aboard.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome jyffam! You seem like a nice person...we need more "nice persons" on this board and I hope you will continue to post here. Good luck with your coins.

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome! Should bring about $135 or so on eBay.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

box/certificate offer no added value.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

1/10 oz AGE coins sometimes sell retail for a small premium over melt value. I’d not recommend selling at auction as the commissions will eat up a large part of the total. A local dealer is probably your best option as gold usually trades on small margins.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jyffam....Welcome aboard.... Excellent advice above.... We look forward to seeing some of your other coins... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

To get the price of Gold (or silver, or any of the commonly-traded precious metals), you can go here:

https://kitco.com/market/

and look at the "Bid" price (it's the current buying price per ounce).

You can look around locally, and see who's buying gold. You should be able to get no less than Bid on it. As others have pointed out, your coin has 1/10 ounce of gold, so you should ask for at least 1/10 the current Bid price.

The nice thing about this approach is that you don't have expenses (like shipping costs, auction fees, Ebay/PayPal fees, etc.).

• Options

@drei3ree said:
    Welcome jyffam! You seem like a nice person...we need more "nice persons" on this board and I hope you will continue to post here. Good luck with your coins.

Haha, well I have at least one person fooled! :#:D
    Kidding, kidding... thanks for the welcome. :)

@dpoole said:
    To get the price of Gold (or silver, or any of the commonly-traded precious metals), you can go here:

https://kitco.com/market/

and look at the "Bid" price (it's the current buying price per ounce).

You can look around locally, and see who's buying gold. You should be able to get no less than Bid on it. As others have pointed out, your coin has 1/10 ounce of gold, so you should ask for at least 1/10 the current Bid price.

The nice thing about this approach is that you don't have expenses (like shipping costs, auction fees, Ebay/PayPal fees, etc.).

Oh wow, I had no idea this site existed, nor what to do with the information. Thank you! This is very helpful, and I may be able to sell locally with this method. :)

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

you can always look up a value of a coin by a simple google search or check out Amazon, google or another coin dealers site. Good luck & welcome aboard. 1/10 oz coins are common so you can also do the math by searching gold pricing. Just make sure to multiply by the content of the gold. .97 .90 etc. range is 145-160 now I believe.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

Welcome!!

Becky

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file