Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thoughts on possible next steps with cancelled eBay sale

astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently won the auction below:

https://ebay.com/itm/1825-Capped-Bust-Half-Dollar-50C-ANACS-VG10-O-109-Rarity-5-/202453283590?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=3ddFsDGmFZWL%252BIefZ04GWDZCCCM%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

It's a nice, well-circulated rare CBH die marriage. The auction closed and I was the high bidder and got the coin for a decent price. Not a "rip," but a decent deal on the coin. A few minutes after the sale, I complete the purchase. A short while thereafter, I receive the message from the seller:

"I regret that this coin is not available for sale. It was a consignment piece and I cannot take possession of the item. My sincere apologies." [I removed the seller's name from the end of the message.]

I wrote back:

"What do you mean? When can you take possession to complete the sale?" Hoping [albeit, a longshot] that the seller meant it was temporarily unavailable. The sale was shortly cancelled through eBay. The seller never responded further.

Somehow I am not convinced the seller wasn't just looking for more money and decided to "lose" the coin rather than complete the sale. Since the sale was cancelled, there is no opportunity to provide feedback.

Is there any recourse through eBay to alert them of this type of behavior? I am not sure if it will matter, but I thought I would try.

The coin is not really the issue, it's the game the seller appears to be playing.

Thanks for any help.

Numismatist Ordinaire
See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

Comments

• Options

@AUandAG said:
    No recourse.

bob :(

Yeah ... that's what I kinda figured.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that this happens a lot more than most think it does. I've had it happen several times....just outta luck.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@Cladiator said:
    Just remember his name so you don't bid on his auctions anymore and add his name to your banned bidder list in case you sell items. That's all you can realistically do.

That's good advice.

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options

@AUandAG said:
    I think that this happens a lot more than most think it does. I've had it happen several times....just outta luck.

bob :)

I guess I have been lucky. It's the first time for me.

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, it could be true. There are people who...er...specialize? in cross-listing coins from other people's inventories. Perhaps the actual owner had either already sold it or refused to meet the sale price.

There is no excuse for the deception and you can report him/her to eBay. You won't get the coin, but if he pulls the stunt enough times (only really 3 or 4 from what I've heard), they will boot him.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Recall in the old days when Ebay told us explicitly that an Ebay sale was a contract and all that BS. When the bullion goliaths took over they demanded an out and Ebay granted it. It is a nice thing to have in your back pocket as a seller in the event of a real problem, but it of course can be abused.

I have never gotten hit when winning an auction...but about a half dozen times on Buy-it-nows.

• Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure many of us would appreciate knowing the seller's eBay ID . . . . .

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options

@ms71 said:
    I'm sure many of us would appreciate knowing the seller's eBay ID . . . . .

Have you clicked on the eBay link to the auction?

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, that didn't occur to me. 1250+ sales with 100% positive feedback. Who knows.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ahhh! Another example of why eBay is both real and an illusion where dishonest people can step behind the curtain of anonymity. Tough break. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    JTHawaiiJTHawaii Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

Just happened to me too. Bought a "buy it now" at a good price, not a steal, and got confirmation and a shipping confirmation within a day. Then I received a paypal refund for the entire amount with no explanation from the seller the next day. The tracking number for the shipping just shows that the label was created and USPS is waiting for the package. I emailed the seller and have not received a response. Must have been seller's remorse. Odd thing is that this coin was not newly listed and there had been previous sales of similar coins for less. Why list something if you don't want to sell it? I didn't lose anything but time so I'll just move on to the next one.

Successful BST Transactions With: AUandAG, SurfinxHI, tightbudget, dmarks, jfoot13, jimineez1, PerryHall, rte592, cucamongacoin, Flackthat, robkool, Walkerguy21D, pruebas, KJB, LukeMarshall, 1630Boston, chumley, privatecoin, Histman, SullyFan2, al410, mcarney1173, Coinflip, mbogoman, dm679864, commoncents05, scooter25

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing you can do, you cant make the guy send it. bad business, but it happens.

A local dealer here when he lists stuff and it goes cheap, it mysteriously gets lost in transit .

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know what your recourse would be. I had a great purchase on eBay where the seller contacted me and notified me that the item was previously sold. I had no recourse but to believe him. I was very skeptical, but who knows. Anyway, good luck. I hope it works out for you !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭

It is bad business, I would not waste any time or energy on it, just move on, and don't do business with this seller again.

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

What you can do is check the reason for the cancellation. If it is out of stock, etc., it counts against the seller's metrics. If the seller checked that the buyer want to cancel, it does not.

See what is checked. Any yes, you can leave feedback on a cancelled sale.

• Options
    Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yuck not fun but move on to the next

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leaving a neg is almost the only recourse short of filing suit.

• Options

@mustangmanbob said:
    What you can do is check the reason for the cancellation. If it is out of stock, etc., it counts against the seller's metrics. If the seller checked that the buyer want to cancel, it does not.

See what is checked. Any yes, you can leave feedback on a cancelled sale.

Well ... when I check, the only information is "The seller cancelled your order." There is no further details.

In the "More actions," drop list, the "Feedback" option is not present. It's been present when I have done returns, but it's not available with this cancellation.

So, how can I leave feedback? I would really like to as a warning to other buyers.

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait 7 days, because the feedback link is not activated til then. I will show the rest when I have a chance to "pretend" to cancel a sale, so I can take a screen shot.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have used eBay to find a coin and go directly to the the dealer the old fashioned way with a phone call and work out a better price and buy the coin. I have seen it remain on eBay for days after it was sold to me. That may be what happened. As soon as a coin sells it needs to be pulled from eBay, but it always isn't. Only on buy it now though. Not auctions.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can still leave a neg even if sale was canceled.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

It happened to me once. Seller’s excuse was he couldn’t find the coin (which had been listed for only a brief period). I left negative feedback and the seller got upset. Said something like, since I got my money back I had no reason to complain. Never again with that seller.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a seller cancel an auction immediately after it ended because the winning bid was not high enough for the seller - and he even admitted it! I was able to leave negative feedback though, so not sure why the OP can not.

• Options

@mustangmanbob said:
    Wait 7 days, because the feedback link is not activated til then. I will show the rest when I have a chance to "pretend" to cancel a sale, so I can take a screen shot.

Ah ... thanks. I am right at 7 days. I'll give it some time. Thanks for the tip.

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bid on another of their items, then when it's time to pay, just tell them that the cash was used to pay for another item from another seller.

thefinn
  • Options
    toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be interesting to see if the coin is “found” and relisted.....at a higher BIN

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

Contact the Ebay chat help line and see if the seller has a history of losing things.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

What has happened to me several times (once just recently) is that I bid in an auction, win the coin for a good price (for me) but a bad price for the seller.
    They then say they "lost the coin."
    Yeah, right.
    I just don't bid on their material any more.
    As a seller, if I gamble on a 99c auction and get hosed, that was my decision.
    It sucks, and I despise losing money but it happens.
    But I WILL send the buyer what they won.
    Period.
    No games.
    I just figure it's an advertising expense and move on.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a bummer. That's pretty example of a tough die marriage.
    Lance.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lane,

It sucks.
    As others have mentioned, really nothing you can do.

It could be, as you surmise, that they wanted more money.
    It could be that they have a partner or someone else who sold the coin and didn't let them know to cancel the ebay auction immediately (happens....been mentioned here many times)
    It could be that they do many consignments and don't run their business smartly (ie...list nothing UNTIL they have it in their hands, and an agreement with the consignor that, once listed, it is locked to be sold unless it goes unsold).

Without knowing exactly the circumstances that only the seller/consignor knows, I wouldn't know which of the above it honestly is...but, it could be any of them and they just gave you the short version and don't want to play any games about it (not saying you would, but certainly some, including some forum members, would.....heck, there is even at least one that, I recall years ago, threatened someone with a lawsuit if the coin wasn't delivered.....seeing that made my mind up to never recommend that person to anyone nor to ever buy from them)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am sorry it happened to you :(

• Options

@Bochiman said:
    Lane,

It sucks.
    As others have mentioned, really nothing you can do.

It could be, as you surmise, that they wanted more money.
    It could be that they have a partner or someone else who sold the coin and didn't let them know to cancel the ebay auction immediately (happens....been mentioned here many times)
    It could be that they do many consignments and don't run their business smartly (ie...list nothing UNTIL they have it in their hands, and an agreement with the consignor that, once listed, it is locked to be sold unless it goes unsold).

Without knowing exactly the circumstances that only the seller/consignor knows, I wouldn't know which of the above it honestly is...but, it could be any of them and they just gave you the short version and don't want to play any games about it (not saying you would, but certainly some, including some forum members, would.....heck, there is even at least one that, I recall years ago, threatened someone with a lawsuit if the coin wasn't delivered.....seeing that made my mind up to never recommend that person to anyone nor to ever buy from them)

Thanks. I kinda figured there was little I could do ... but the folks here are resourceful when it comes to eBay!

I don't want to play any games as it's not the right thing to do. I would just prefer sellers who use this approach as a 'tactic' be banned from selling on eBay (just like buyers who use NSAD as a 'tactic' should be banned). If the reason is legitimate, then they should continue the conversation and explain rather than provide a vague excuse.

@lkeigwin Yeah ... it is a wholesome example of a rare die marriage that has seen a lot of circulation ... that's why I bid on it! LOL I already have the die marriage in a higher grade, but I just liked the coin. :)

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Such things are very irritating....you can leave negative feedback, but that is not really satisfying. Especially if you are reasonably sure it was not a valid cancellation....When the seller refuses to interact and at least attempt to make you understand the issue, then likely your suspicions are accurate. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Ebay is not for everyone"... sorta like this place :open_mouth:

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd leave a negative! >:)

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    I have used eBay to find a coin and go directly to the the dealer the old fashioned way with a phone call and work out a better price and buy the coin. I have seen it remain on eBay for days after it was sold to me. That may be what happened. As soon as a coin sells it needs to be pulled from eBay, but it always isn't. Only on buy it now though. Not auctions.

Thank you for helping raise ebay fees for the rest of us.

[We need that disagree button back. Lol]

• Options
    coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2018 4:51PM

Those who are saying there's "nothing you can do" are only correct in a practical sense. Civil courts do regularly recognize Ebay sales as legally binding. Of course it would cost a large amount of money to pursue hence the practical side. Lookup the diamond ring Ebay lawsuit from Arizona. https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix/2018/03/08/court-ruling-julie-rohr-must-pay-canceled-ebay-sale-10-carat-diamond-ring/408047002/

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

It belongs to the seller until delivered. In most cases (buyer, insurance claims) this works to the advantage of the buyer.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    opportunityopportunity Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2018 5:14PM

You'd be surprised what a demand letter from a lawyer can do. Is it worth it in this case? Not unless it's a matter of principal to you. I have a pro bono arrangement with a lawyer from friend from high school the next time this crap is pulled on me...I'm just waiting for one that's worth it, and the seller is in an accessible location, to make an example. Sorry if this post causes some of you to hate me, but it is what it is...I have a lifetime achievement award of honoring my end of bargains even if it's a raw deal for me, and it just rubs me the wrong way.

Early American Copper, Bust and Seated.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2018 7:39AM

I don’t neg sellers for cancel. It’s been very rare for me. Their reason could be legit. I consider it a sorta bad sport thing. I would not do business w them in future however.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file