Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Counterfeits galore!

Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was using the Google for some info and found www.invaluable.com where there is posted for sale a gazillion assorted fake silver US coins that are listed as Oriental Art and Collection Foshan City, China. Live auctions all starting at $10. Amazing. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

Comments

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are getting more and more brazen.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh boy !!! :'(

Timbuk3
  • Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    They are getting more and more brazen.

And they are getting better everyday!

• Options

Many of these are showing indications of a fake but to the uninformed that's enough to turn a head. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Such a shame.... and purchases by either the uninformed or the con artists bring these coins to our auction sites and shops.... I see no way to stop this, and losses will cause our hobby to further erode... I see this as far more of a danger to our hobby than any other threat. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2018 8:05AM

MacArthur was right. :#

• Options

Invaluable is an auction hosting website. Just like eBay, there are some fakes on there, but the majority of coins are legit. Stacks, Heritage, and most of the other big auctions list their auctions on there.

The fake coins you found are from one particular seller who “tries” to sell them on there continuously. They are really bad / crude fakes, and luckily they rarely get bids.

I’ve contacted Invaluable about them before, but they did not respond. I will definitely bring it up to them again as we are an auction house with them, and have an account rep. Hopefully, he can get the auction company banned.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

mentioned this before, there is a way to at least try.
    all collectors and dealers must go political and write to your GOV representatives and ALL the other congress people.
    In Canada writing to a Gov rep is free postage. not sure about the US.
    Fake items must be stopped at the border. Once crossed, it is too late.
    I suggested before to add one question to the landing card we have to fill out when entering the US or Canada by ship or air.
    the question is, or similar: did you acquire any coins or currency while out of the country? Yes-No.
    but the US and CAN border guards have very obviously other "priorities" as you are a serious subject when you ever so lightly "smell" like weed because you were sitting next to a person who actually did use it and it rubbed off on you.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have a link to a specific coin? Counterfeits worry me, so I try to learn. But when I go to Invaluable, I see hundreds and hundreds of what appear to be legitimate auctions - from people with websites, addresses and telephone numbers.

A 'Collections Foshan City' search on_ Invaluable_ yielded no coin results. Are they raw? Holdered? Particular series/date/mint?

Thanks.

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• Options

On their site, just search for "silver coin". There are also lots of gold coins posted from legit auction houses. That's the problem, a mix of good and BAD. Peace Roy

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

GEEZE........collecting coins has become like a minefied. They not only counterfeit the coin, but put it in a counterfeit slab nowadays.

It is no wonder some will not collect coins lest you step on one.

Sad. Very sad.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

omg and its only going to get worse :(

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file