Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coin tray thread....do you have one?

DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one was patented in 1890. Hard to say how many seated dollars, Morgan's, Peace Dollars have been in this tray.

Comments

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man I like that, is that a bank thing or Horn & Hardarts or what? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see any markings regarding the manufacturer.

The little tray makes me think it wasn't a bank item, but I don't know.

I hope I can fill it up with period coins.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2018 4:12PM

I have a wooden one from Germany somewhere (c. 1900) with slots for gold coins as well as everything smaller.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's pretty "cool" !!! B)

Timbuk3
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is unique.... Though it does not look very efficient... I am probably missing something there... Cheers, RickO

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

From what I've found, it wasn't for counting coins, it was for dispensing coins.

Money Changer Coin Dispenser & Storage Rack – 1895 Staats Cast Iron

• DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:
    From what I've found, it wasn't for counting coins, it was for dispensing coins.

Money Changer Coin Dispenser & Storage Rack – 1895 Staats Cast Iron

WOW, Thank you !
    Now I'm a little disappointed I don't have the whole thing, but I'm happy to know that it was part of something more. I'll have to keep an eye out for a whole one.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

So Horn and Hardarts was a cafeteria automat in NYC into the 1960's. Walls and walls of plated fresh foods for sale and on display behind little doors with glass windows. Everything was bought by inserting coins in order for the door to pop open. Voila! Time to eat. But first you went up to a cashier booth, slid paper currency thru the security bars, whereupon the cashier spilled the exact amount of coins in nickels, dimes and quarters. Those were the days. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly as Roy said. That is what I remember from the late '50's when I went there for lunch with my dad, in downtown Manhattan.

A hand full of nickels obtained from a cashier would open glass windows, allowing the removal of some remarkably mediocre foods...some meat-thing, maybe pudding or a salad. Man...this is the future, I thought.

It was, sort of. Fast food was just around the corner.
    Lance.

• drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

@DNADave said:
    This one was patented in 1890. Hard to say how many seated dollars, Morgan's, Peace Dollars have been in this tray.

I don't have one, but I want one just like this!

• JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 824 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is the top part of a Staats Money Changer.

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

thats very cool

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

"The top part..." Now that makes sense.... Thanks for the explanation... Cheers, RickO

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not have a coin tray. Nor do I have a collection which warrants one.

But if I ever have the right collection and circumstance, I would love a nice coin tray setup of some kind.

• MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file