Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is it better to get coins graded in lots?

Part of my wife's family estate, is a large amount of pre 64 coins, I was handle an old cooler that was full, the oldest being a 1786 Vermont Copper.
A lot of these are worth getting graded in my opinion. Is there any discount for getting multiple coins graded at one time?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2018 10:06AM

You would save money on the per submission handling fee and return shipping by combining coins into as few submissions as possible. Unfortunately, no discounts for quantity...unless you meet the bulk submission standards.

You'll find most of your answers here: https://www.pcgs.com/services

And welcome aboard.

• Options

Thanks, and Thanks.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Given the costs of both grading and eventually liquidation, you may do well by finding a reputable dealer who would do a paid appraisal (no sale of coins to said dealer....only appraisal) with a recommendation of which coins would be good for submission.

in lieu of said dealer, if you felt safe enough, the same deal with a trusted forum member in your area (wherever that is).

Could be eye opening for you and could save you (or earn you) more funds by being smart about what you would submit and pay for, and what type of values you may have (and best place/where to liquidate).

Just a thought.

Or.....do a LOT of learning/research yourself, here and other places, but be prepared to spend a lot of time doing it.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're not an experienced collector (and even if you do have some experience) it would pay for you have a dealer look over those coins to save you paying grading fees on any problem coins you might not be aware of and also give you an idea if the encapsulation adds any value. < not talking about Vermont copper there :)

If you go to a reputable shop he can also do the submission for you.

Just a thought and

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

Howdy and welcome. I strongly agree with the previous posters who suggest having an experienced dealer or advanced collector look at the coins prior to submission. If you are not familiar with grading or with surfaces of coins then you may end up spending substantial sums of money on submission costs for coins that are either not worth much at all or that are sent back in "genuine" (problem) holders. Do some work prior to the submissions and save yourself some money. This is typically not something you can figure out for yourself with a RedBook and I would also expect that you would have to pay a dealer for his/her time. Good luck.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

In case you do not know already, DO NOT attempt to clean your coins in any way.

Good luck!

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome aboard, good luck with this endeavor :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ashump1960 said:
    ...A lot of these are worth getting graded in my opinion. Is there any discount for getting multiple coins graded at one time?

I bet you've got some Morgan dollars worth more than melt value -- but maybe not worth the cost of a PCGS or NGC slab.

Instead, consider the current low-cost ANACS promotion: 10 coins for $109.

Includes free return shipping. Ends Oct 31st.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

My general rule of thumb is AFTER GRADING if the coin isn't worth a hundred dollars or more, having it graded was a mistake. Most of us have "graded" thousands of coins and often are surprised, therefore, the suggestion to have a Dealer (or trustworthy collector) help you separate the gradable from the not so gradable is critical. Economy submissions average about $25 per coin plus mailing fees to and from the grading service.

I just shipped out a box of 7 coins. USPS charged $28.00 (one way).

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome and good luck !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also, send coins through the mail only by registered mail. Anything else invites unnecessary drama.

Very good advice has been given regarding the services of a reputable dealer. If you give us a rough idea of where you live the forum should be able to give you a few names. Do not go to the average pawn shop/junk shop as you might already know more than they do.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ashump1960.... Welcome aboard.... Your issue is one that frequently shows up here on the forum...The advice given is very good for your situation. An evaluation by a trusted dealer (even if he charges a nominal fee) is a worthwhile investment that will probably save you a lot of money going forward. Let us know... Cheers, RickO

• Options

One I though worthy. Any Thoughts?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2018 4:37AM

Looks polished and not worthy.

Could use a better photo. But if it is buffed, its worth less than thre cost of slabbing.

• Options

Was never touched that I know of, but the coins have only been in my possession for a year. If it is or has been, how should I try to sell it?

• Options

@ashump1960 said:
    Was never touched that I know of, but the coins have only been in my possession for a year. If it is or has been, how should I try to sell it?

BST, ebay, local dealer. For a $30 coin, it's not going to make much difference. IMHO

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

Looks polished and not worthy.

Could use a better photo. But if it is buffed, its worth less than thre cost of slabbing.

Whether polished or not - hard to tell from the photo - it's still circulated and relatively common.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file