Home U.S. Coin Forum

Here's a real coin buying deal....any takers?

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are a couple of deals on complete coin cabinets that might be of interest. Just hop into your handy time machine.....

Comments

• rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

Imagine what they held?

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow.... Imagine the value today.... would love to know the specifics - i.e. what coins, how many, condition etc.... Cheers, RickO

• StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

BIN - I would like both - send me your paypal address for prompt payment... 8-)

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • TaurusTaurus Posts: 27 ✭✭

I would love to know where those coins are today.

• tnsprotnspro Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

They very well could be in some of our collections

Currency Wants: Any note with serial number 00000731
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I would be excited to purchase not only the coins in the Cabinets, but also the Cabinets themselves.

I would love to get a Coin Cabinet someday. I would set it up in my Coin/Man Cave [if I had one].

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have cash at the ready plus a
    20% finders fee.

• PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat! Did the Whitman album, and related type displays similar to Whitman, envelopes, etc. put an end to cabinet collections? Or, was it just an overall awareness of the friction developing on coins/other environmental issues harming technical grade, and a desire to preserve the coin/medals integrity?

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2018 2:34PM

"Cabinets" of coins, medals, minerals, autographs and other odd and curious items were normal parts of most middle class and upper class homes. Public institutions had their own versions, and private "museums" or "traveling curio cabinets" Such as the Peale museum, Barnum's and many others.

Some collectors concentrated on coins, but most had a wide assortment of items that were used to stimulate discussion with visitors. (Remember, except for large cities it took hours or days to go visit someone. A casual visit, arranged in advance by letter, might last several days or weeks.) The collections also were links to social & philosophical organizations aimed at the dissemination of new knowledge and information.

PS: Beautiful coin cabinet above! Only thing missing are the martini tap and olive holder.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, interesting article. I also wonder what was in there and where are they now !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

Allons-y

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

What happens when a pan-dimensional call box displaces local space-time? Does you watch stop, or your cat turn inside out?

@RogerB said:
    What happens when a pan-dimensional call box displaces local space-time? Does you watch stop, or your cat turn inside out?

Lots of wibbly, wobbly, timey, wimey, stuff happens. :D

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any idea what year this was published?

How about the details by mail part? A much more laid back time then and the entitled were hard to find.

• MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

Is that TARDIS 100% solid Mahogany? I don't want it toning my coins!

@MattTheRiley said:
    Is that TARDIS 100% solid Mahogany? I don't want it toning my coins!

I'm not sure but you can always go back and undo it unless the toning is a fixed point.

@Wabbit2313 said:
    Any idea what year this was published?

How about the details by mail part? A much more laid back time then and the entitled were hard to find.

Mason's Stamp and Coin Magazine Jan. 1870.

• Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    I think I would be excited to purchase not only the coins in the Cabinets, but also the Cabinets themselves.

I would love to get a Coin Cabinet someday. I would set it up in my Coin/Man Cave [if I had one].

There's a good description of the "Coin Cabinet of the Philadelphia Mint" if you google it.
    Describes the cabinets and the contents.

Value in 1894 $58,000. :):)

• philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

If someone really wants a coin cabinet and can’t find one, the next best thing is an antique dental cabinet.

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Do we know if this was Mickley's collection?

• batumibatumi Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭

I really like MatThe Riley's coin cabinet!

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe you could find new coin cabinets for sale (less any coins) in Numismatic Scrapbook Magazine almost to the end of its publication in 1976.

All glory is fleeting.
  • MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, sorry to derail the thread, but I thought it might be ok to post a link to the gentleman I commissioned to build my cabinet above. He does phenomenal work and is, I feel, very reasonably priced for the quality received.

http://www.cabinetsbycraig.net/

• shortnockshortnock Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

Wow! The guy makes darnfine cabinets.

Washingtoniana - No, this was not an ad for a cabinet of coins belonging to any well-known collection, so far as I can tell from the ad and related articles. Maybe one of the old time auction experts knows more?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file