2»

Comments

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

how about ames dept which spun off tj maxx and homegoods

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup

Woolworths was a dow component and it lost it's customer base long before the web came. It became a cheap junk store that was also dirty. Depressing.

Maybe Kmart helped, then walmart helped kmart down. Who will down Wally mart? I don't know.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

K-Mart was a corrupt organization for at least a couple of decades. Buyers were on the take and a sharp Sam Walton buried them. Recall they went belly up in 2002 or so. Merger with Sears let them hobble along for another decade. I was in the nearby store today to buy some toilet paper. Somehow seemed appropriate.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:

@tincup said:
    I always liked Kenmore appliances; they used to be their own brand. But supposedly no longer... they are made by companies like Whirlpool and Amana, and they just stick a Kenmore label on them. I suspect the Craftsman tool line is the same situation... too bad.

No Sears never made anything. Whirlpool had two separate lines for appliances. One for the Sears product and one for Whirlpool. I'm retired Sears appliance salesman. Sometimes the Sears products would have a stronger motor or a better ice maker or such but it was just a Whirlpool. Ammna came late in the game and did the same, basically.

bob :)

There was a large refrigerator factory in my hometown. It operated under the Maytag brand when it closed in 2003 and then moved to Reynosa, Mexico. Whirlpool has since purchased the Maytag brand.

It had previously operated under Admiral, Rockwell and Amana before Maytag shut it down. Every conceivable name plate was slapped on refrigerators coming out of there. Kenmore was one of them.

• Options
    MeshMesh Posts: 86 ✭✭✭

I still haven't recovered from Pup-N-Tac
    o

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

We need an indigestion tab.

;)

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Craftsman tools have been sold at Ace Hardware for several years now, by the way.

I just bought a Craftsman router from Ace because it was the only router i could find that would in this portable router table i bought

The Sears catalog was the internet back in the day

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:

@metalmeister said:
    My Kenmore clothes dryer still going after 30 years.

My washer & refrig. going on 35 years. Although I have to admit, that I had to call for service once during that span for the refrig. :)

That is close to how old my Kenmore refrigerator is also; freezer fan starting to make a little noise so that is the reason I started looking for a newer model. One interesting thing the salesperson told me... don't expect nearly as long a life on a newer model. The reason is when they outlawed the more effective type of freon, (that damaged ozone layer), the replacement type has a corrosive effect, and pretty much eats away internal components. Salesperson said appliance life is now around 10 years. So... to protect the ozone, we now have to replace items 2-3 times more often... and use many more resources to produce them. Think I may try to keep using the old Kenmore, even though the newer models are more efficient.

----- kj
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    We need an indigestion tab.

;)

toilet paper as well in some cases