Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

3rd Edition, Whitman's Civil War Tokens Book, gone AWOL?

BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had marked on my calendar that the latest edition (3rd) of Whitman's Civil War Token would be out about October 8th.

I know that I haven't waited too long to ask, but it apparently didn't make it (yet)?

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

I needed to get two copies of the Civil War Token book for my club's book program. The Second Edition was "sold out" with a promise that the Third Edition would be available at the end of November. As promised the book did re-appear on the website, but when I got the books, they were the Second Edition.

It does not matter that much because if the new edition is only prices, that's not very important. Unfortunately pricing is the most fluid of all the information provided by these books. The numbers are old before the book is published.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2018 2:11PM

@BillJones said:
    It does not matter that much because if the new edition is only prices, that's not very important. Unfortunately pricing is the most fluid of all the information provided by these books. The numbers are old before the book is published.

It seems there's quite a bit more than updated pricing information. This is from Whitman:

Q. David Bowers's best-selling and award-winning Guide Book of Civil War Tokens has been updated and expanded in a new third edition. It includes recent research findings, more illustrations, and updated pricing in multiple grades. Also new in the second edition: chapters on sutler tokens and encased postage stamps.

• Options

I've gotten the Third Edition a few days ago. The forwards and appendixes have been significantly expanded, a lot of the rest of the book appears the same. It's good as far as I am concerned.

• Options

@Dentuck I am very pleased with the expanded material in the Civil War Tokens 3rd edition, just as I am highly pleased with the Appendixes in the Mega Red Book. All great information to have!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file