Home Precious Metals
Options

Looking for any information in using gold for purchases in US and any tax issues?

Can I directly buy cars/property with gold/silver now? Are they any states where this is either discouraged or tax free?

Comments

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck finding a counter-party.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

One state (I think it might be Utah) recently passed a law that allows gold & silver to be used as money in transactions. I don't know of any situation in which you would avoid paying state sales taxes. Where did that notion come from? I'd like to research it.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's considered a trade but requires assignment of dollar value (not face value) to your PMs. Also requires a counterparty willing to accept the trade.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2018 6:05AM

I tried to partially-pay with a gold eagle to a jeweler once. Wouldn't take it. A jeweler!

(It clearly wasn't a question of authenticity; it was a matter of never having been offered gold before)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Exchange of gold or silver for product is barter or trade.... usually the PM is assigned melt value, unless the trade is coins between knowledgeable individuals of numismatic value. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    davidkdavidk Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options

I raised the question of metals being legal to trade for hard assets because as some point the US dollar will loose confidence for more than a day or two. My belief to be sure but the outcome of the Titanic was certain but not 100% predicable in the final ending hours. So shall the dollar and metals in what can be proven for those in the know. Any thoughts?

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can pay with gold and silver. That does not eliminate or preclude any of us from paying sales tax due. You just have to cough up more gold.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

@justdano said:
    I raised the question of metals being legal to trade for hard assets because as some point the US dollar will loose confidence for more than a day or two.

It is perfectly legal to trade (barter) without using dollars. The IRS does however, expect one to assign dollar values and report any income received in dollars.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

twosides is bammed ? What did I miss?

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    twosides is bammed ? What did I miss?

I just changed my profile photo, as a sign of solidarity.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

FWIW, I remember hearing a story back during the Hunt Brothers bubble of 1979-80 that some coin dealer tried paying his employees in common circ. gold $20's and reporting the face value of the coins as their income. The IRS was not amused.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had an acquaintance that purchased a new Chevy pick up truck with raw CC dollars. Dealer knew the value. Went smooth, an sales tax was paid.
    Had some good times with that old coot, he's since passed.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    I had an acquaintance that purchased a new Chevy pick up truck with raw CC dollars. Dealer knew the value. Went smooth, an sales tax was paid.
    Had some good times with that old coot, he's since passed.

bob :)

Had same type of offer from Subaru dealer years ago.
    Used car dealers often listen to weird deals.