Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

3 New Barber Quarters For My Registry

spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 11, 2018 6:31PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi Folks,
Have 3 more. According to the Registry stats I am around 43% complete. From hereon it gets harder and more expensive. I want a focus on O mint but will gradually try to get the whole set.

All 3 are CAC, for coins under $200, you can guess why there are not many CAC for a given type, year, mint, grade. Big cost to send it in for little to no value increase. But for the better date 1901-O, they cost more in grades above XF40 you are talking about a $500 or higher cost. So for old silver where surface quality is so important, one would want a CACed coin whenever possible.

For the 1901-O PCGS has graded 340, NGC 101, and there are 26 combined in XF45 with 104 combined graded higher. Taking into account regrades, we are talking about a not very common, better date coin justifying the prices. But how many of these are CAC where you are sure in almost every case for XF's that the surfaces are good. Well CAC has green beaned 46 l901-O, 5 in XF45, 12 higher, no gold beans. So unless I just happen to find the right unbeaned one in hand, we are talking 5 I could buy in XF45 online sight unseen and be confident I am getting what I want. These are simply not common despite Barbers being 'common'. Sure you can buy any ole barber quarter, but quality is hard to come by in any grade it seems. Just sayin'. For comparison, CAC has beaned 124 l901-S, although most are ≤ VF25. So it is hard to get a good l901-O in XF45 than it is to get a l901-S in AG to G that will set you back 3 to 10 times more. So finding the right l901-O so early in this set, is good. Now for all of the other uncommon barber quarters, we will see...........

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...

Comments

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice O mints. All have a nice look.

• Options
    zrlevinzrlevin Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Great set of coins. I love the 1901!

Zach
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

All three are very nice. The 01-O is undergraded at least 5 points imo
    Good hunting

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

All are very nice. The 98-O has the ‘look’ I’m always searching for. Damn hard to locate. Great examples!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

@No Headlights said:
    All three are very nice. The 01-O is undergraded at least 5 points imo
    Good hunting

IMO the 01 is undergraded by 15

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options

Oops - indeed my bad, CORRECT grade now listed in the image for 1901-O. I use a template I have set up in PS and I forgot to change the grade. Thanks for the comments and pointing out the 'undergrade' folks...

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    AstroJoeAstroJoe Posts: 304 ✭✭✭

Very nice!

Joe

Everything is all right!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coins...So many collectors do not appreciate coins in these grades.... I find them attractive and with what I call 'character'...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

That 01-O is stellar...looks undergraded

Rob
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice coin :)

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice photos of nice coins. Fun project. Tough.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like them! Working on a similar project right now!

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the look of those! Good luck with the ongoing hunt.

• Options

@erwindoc said:

Cool, feel free to post images!

Best, SH

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1901 is the best barber in a XF45 holder I have seen in recent memory... Nice score!

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice trio. You have given yourself quite a challenge to complete the set in quality VF to XF. And that's not even including the big 3.

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are sweet!

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:

@erwindoc said:

Cool, feel free to post images!

Best, SH

Not to hijack your thread, but you said it was ok. This one has the best images...

• Options

Very nice Erwindoc! The S Mint BQ's are the hardest......

Best, SH

• Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

Poof!

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BarberFanatic said:
    Poof!

:o

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

All really nice!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love all 3. Hope to see you back soon,

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love that 01-O too!!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file