Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Prepare for a 10% hike on your Priority coin mailings.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

CNN) — The US Postal Service is asking for the biggest price jump on stamps in its history.

The Postal Service on Wednesday proposed raising the price of 1-oz. letters from 50 cents to 55 cents, which would be a record nominal increase if approved. The price of each additional ounce would go down slightly.

The request was made by the USPS' board of governors, which has been operating on an emergency basis because of a lack of confirmed members. It will have to be approved by the Postal Regulatory Commission.

"The Governors believe these new rates will keep the Postal Service competitive while providing the agency with needed revenue," the USPS said in a press release. "The Postal Service has some of the lowest letter mail postage rates in the industrialized world and also continues to offer a great value in shipping."

Rates for mailing services -- which includes catalogs and magazines as well as letters -- are pegged to consumer prices. Those have been rising faster this year, but still limited the price hike for that category to 2.5 percent.

Prices for packages, however, can float with market rates. The USPS wants to boost Priority Mail prices by an average of 5.9%. A small flat-rate box that costs $7.20 to ship, for example, would next year cost $7.90.

Comments

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy crap!

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2018 10:55PM

They have to make up for all the losses piling up from shipping packages over 5,000 miles in the continental US. I see it every week when tracking my sales and purchases.

Imagine the notion of investing $1,000 in forever stamps 2 years ago...

• Options

USPS used to advertise Priority as 2 pounds for $3.

That slogan is long gone.

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

...I don’t like leaving my states unless I absolutely have to...so the juice is worth the squeeze to me ;)

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the heads-up !!! :'(

Timbuk3
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@Coinstartled said:

They could still advertise 70 pounds for $12

• Options

Hell, they may have to raise Amazon to $1.10 a package.

:*

• Options

@BillDugan1959 said:
    Still very cheap as far as I am concerned.

Coin people spend hundreds of dollars on a single "rare" coin and then begrudge the USPS people a proper living.

3 ounce small package has tripled in price in a dozen years. Meanwhile USPS has switched to lower paid and often inexperienced contract employees. Somewhere their is a management sieve that needs to be addressed.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

Delivery boys ain't what they used to be.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm confused. Your headline said 10% rate increase on priority mail, but the article said 5.9%. Where did you get the 10% increase on packages from?

• Options

@jwitten said:
    I'm confused. Your headline said 10% rate increase on priority mail, but the article said 5.9%. Where did you get the 10% increase on packages from?

In defense of Coinstartled, it does say "average" of 5.9% so some could be going up more.

In prosecution of Coinstartled, he's just trying to make a negative comment about the USPS.

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm old enough to remember when a small flat rate box was $4.95.

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

With the number of packages I ship, especially priority, could effect the bottom line substantially.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

Sounds like you didn’t read the last sentence of the OP. Which seems odd because you obviously read the previous sentence.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

The new higher price will still be a bargain.

• Options

@element159 said:
    The new higher price will still be a bargain.

Until you have to eat higher postage costs on eBay and wherever else buyers insist on free shipping.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:

Coin people spend hundreds of dollars on a single "rare" coin and then begrudge the USPS people a proper living.

Do you actually know anyone who thinks that way?

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Hell, they may have to raise Amazon to $1.10 a package.

:*

When talking to the local postmaster, he says they jump through all of Amazons hoops. It sure works great though in our small town.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

@BillDugan1959 said:

Do you actually know anyone who thinks that way?

Ya, about half of the forum members .....

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's remember that the politicians forced the USPS to pay billions up front to pay for defined benefit pensions in spite of it not being actuarily necessary. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live in a rural community with a central mail house. No USPS delivery to my door - never has been and never will be. They deliver mail to your keyed box and also deliver parcels in parcel lockers (keys placed in your keyed box).

Over the last couple of years, the parcel volume has exploded. They tripled the number of parcel lockers and there still aren't enough every day. Plus, they have not changed the manpower in any way I can detect (but it is possible they shifted/added elsewhere).

I attribute this to the "Amazon Effect" - especially with the free Prime Shipping for a fixed annual fee. People are now opting to shop on line instead of B&M stores, and the goods arrive at your door in a couple of days. This model is what ebay is pressing sellers to emulate.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

@jdimmick said:
    With the number of packages I ship, especially priority, could effect the bottom line substantially.

Thank you for the seller perspective. Margins are always tight on quality, PCGS graded coins. Those that will buy a $60,000 auto begrudge coin dealers a proper living.

• Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@jwitten said:

In defense of Coinstartled, it does say "average" of 5.9% so some could be going up more.

In prosecution of Coinstartled, he's just trying to make a negative comment about the USPS.

He's free to start a better cheaper service.

• Options
    edited October 11, 2018 11:35AM

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jwitten said:

Let's back up for a moment. The opening post was picked up from CNN. I deleted a snarky inference to Trump from it, as this was to be an informational thread, not one of truculence and snowflakery.

While I appreciate the suggestion Bajjerfan, to start a cheaper service, that is a bit out of the realm. It would take a deep pocketed guy like Warren Buffet or TDN to even consider such an undertaking.

I have been a fan of the USPS for some time and have often commented on the high success of package delivery that they usually accomplish.

As a customer of theirs though, one is certainly entitled to address matters of cost. particularly as they have seemingly (but refuse to disclose) a sweetheart deal with Amazon that the rest of us are likely subsidizing.

As a coin customer, the hikes are of little concern and are generally absorbed by the seller. A ten percent increase to a volume seller is a profit sapper which is worthy of ones attention.

Those who do not question the actions of governments and their agencies are doomed to life in a dark work cubicle, hoping that their ticker and knees hold out until they are Medicare eligible.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer FedEx to usps, they were around the same on a medium priority recently, usps would have gotten there in half the time though at the $12 or more price. They need to do what is necessary to remain viable including claw backs on pensions and other excess benefits.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, that ASE that cost $25 will now cost ya $26... B)

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

So more money is buying less now, whats new about that?

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@jwitten said:

Let's back up for a moment. The opening post was picked up from CNN. I deleted a snarky inference to Trump from it, as this was to be an informational thread, not one of truculence and snowflakery.

While I appreciate the suggestion Bajjerfan, to start a cheaper service, that is a bit out of the realm. It would take a deep pocketed guy like Warren Buffet or TDN to even consider such an undertaking.

I have been a fan of the USPS for some time and have often commented on the high success of package delivery that they usually accomplish.

As a customer of theirs though, one is certainly entitled to address matters of cost. particularly as they have seemingly (but refuse to disclose) a sweetheart deal with Amazon that the rest of us are likely subsidizing.

As a coin customer, the hikes are of little concern and are generally absorbed by the seller. A ten percent increase to a volume seller is a profit sapper which is worthy of ones attention.

Those who do not question the actions of governments and their agencies are doomed to life in a dark work cubicle, hoping that their ticker and knees hold out until they are Medicare eligible.

It was a little TIC and while it's ok to offer criticism, the invent a better fishhook mantra is always an option. As the old saw goes, "there is no such thing as a problem, only an opportunity."

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

me and have often commented on the high success of package delivery that they usually accomplish.

Again, this misunderstands the business. They deliver to EVERY HOUSE, EVERY DAY. Adding Amazon packages to your route does not create as much incremental cost as you are assuming. They are already running the routes. A volume shipper like Amazon actually helps increase the mail volume and distribute the FIXED COSTS over a broader base. No subsidies required, no subsidies given.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@BillDugan1959 said:
    Still very cheap as far as I am concerned.

3 ounce small package has tripled in price in a dozen years. Meanwhile USPS has switched to lower paid and often inexperienced contract employees. Somewhere their is a management sieve that needs to be addressed.

Welcome to America. Semper Fi!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suppose the Feds losing so much money with the postal service delivering Amazon packages for free they had to do something.
    It’s alright, we’ll pick up the tab. Of course this is just my take on the subject.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

After 25 years of low inflation, the prospect of yearly inflation rates of 5% to 8% are alarming to most everyone.

The postal rate can cause inflation but are mostly a barometer of inflationary pressures.

Time to buy gold and silver and rare coins if you have not been already.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
  • Options
    bobsrbobsr Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

W O W !!!! The post started off with an excerpt from CNN about a raise in postal rates and somewhere along the lines we begrudge a living to postal workers and coin dealers . Face it and look at facts. The Mantra of " every home, every day " is archaic in todays world. Businesses have to evolve with the times or become extinct. Government facilities believe that the fix for any problem is to throw more money at it. Raise rates to keep up with costs. Postpersons walk or drive by many customers who receive no mail except for junk mail. WHY ? Why does mail have to be delivered every day. What's wrong with mail delivery 3 times a week instead of every day. What's wrong with having community drop boxes in a central location instead of every house. Evolve or die. Just because we did it that way 25 years ago and should do it today because that's the way we did it before sounds the death knell for that organization. The post office is top heavy with management and being drug down with High benefits payout because they invested poorly and managed poorly in the past and its time to pay the Piper. As for them delivering for Amazon and loosing money. They Made The Deal. Amazon didn't force them. Another example of poor management and grasping for straws to keep afloat. All the indicators are there. The written word is a dying dinosaur. Its heart has stopped, its breathing has ceased . The massive blood flow has oxygen left in it and the brain just hasn't gotten the message yet. If you want a package delivered across the country, You're going to have to pay for it. That means cutting your profit levels or raising your cost to the consumer to cover the increase and we all know what that decision is. Like I said before , the solution is " Throw More Money At It".
    Bob Sr CEO Fieldtechs

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinstartled said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

me and have often commented on the high success of package delivery that they usually accomplish.

Again, this misunderstands the business. They deliver to EVERY HOUSE, EVERY DAY. Adding Amazon packages to your route does not create as much incremental cost as you are assuming. They are already running the routes. A volume shipper like Amazon actually helps increase the mail volume and distribute the FIXED COSTS over a broader base. No subsidies required, no subsidies given.

American Airline flies from Phoenix to New York everyday. Assuming that a seat is available on Friday, should they fly me there for the incremental fuel charge of $15, as they will going there anyway. Of course not.

Amazon and the PO should disclose this mutually beneficial deal so that we can all see just how mutually beneficial it is.

• Options

I was having a conversation with someone at lunch today, and ended up wondering when Amazon will try to buy UPS or FedEx.

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2018 10:13PM

Last week, I sent a priority mail letter to Brooklyn, NY. Over one week later, the envelope is still sitting in the Long island distribution center and we had to launch an investigation as to the problem. All for $6.70. Yet, a 1st class letter got there with no problem.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

@Coinstartled said:

@jmlanzaf said:

American Airline flies from Phoenix to New York everyday. Assuming that a seat is available on Friday, should they fly me there for the incremental fuel charge of $15, as they will going there anyway. Of course not.

Amazon and the PO should disclose this mutually beneficial deal so that we can all see just how mutually beneficial it is.

Actually, are you familiar with flying "standby"? Look at last minute bookings on cruises. they do heavily discount seats to try and make sure the ship/plane is full. So, thank you for bringing up another excellent example of incremental vs. fixed costs.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

Do you by chance know who owns the Washington Post?

It is Jeff Bezos....founder of Amazon!

I do. And yet that is not a counter argument to the analysis in the article which remains an excellent discussion of incremental vs. fixed costs.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@jmlanzaf said:

]

Do you by chance know who owns the Washington Post?

It is Jeff Bezos....founder of Amazon!

How about CBS?

https://cbsnews.com/news/post-office-lose-money-amazon-contract-usps-fact-check-trump-tweets-again-today-2018-04-03/

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

FedEx USPS and UPS Secretly own Ebay. It is a deep sinister plot to get people to pay to move their junk all around the country. Without ebay, the Triad of Shipping would go bankrupt.

This is my last post, as they will hunt me down for exposing the Ultra Secret.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many of my usps expresses are arriving substantially late; yesterday I dropped off an express that was not tracked after the one at the post office. I called the usps help line and not only didn't the automated system recognize my clearly enunciated english entering tracking, etc., is cluttered with unnecessary and redundant introductory information in their message, finally after trying over an over again to repeat my information, I was put through to the human wait line, which was going to be over an hour before I spoke to someone. A badly broken system.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file