Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Auctioning your high-end cards is truly terrifying

2»

Comments

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭

That's the one I thought went for way more than I expected.

• Options

@VitoCo1972 said:

Also, if any of you have any good tax advice, I'd greatly appreciate it. Honestly, with signed cards, you're taking many more losses than wins by selling (example: 1988 Score Traded Craig Biggio - card was $40 in PSA 10, cracked it, sent for signing ($140 w/ HOF inscription + shipping both ways plus grading fees and NO WAY does it auction for more than $200+).

At the current $201 bid, looks like you are doing well on your Biggio. Best of luck tomorrow!

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    spanky74spanky74 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

Best of luck today. Hope I win a few.

• Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

Hopefully I'll have better luck tonite than with REA :s
    Praying the snipe program doesn't crash. There's a lot of very nice items and closing on top of each other I'm not a fan of
    Good luck Mike!

• Options

Thanks guys. Nerve wracking. Kind of need to double current standing and would still come out behind if I did. I always kind of knew I’d lose money but signed cards were always a hobby and not a money making proposition. Wish I wasn’t selling.

• Options

I was outbid on the 1969 Topps Lew Alcindor signed card. I don't understand. You can buy a fairly nice one for $500 and get him to sign it for ~~ $125 and yet this card in REA went for $3600 ? HOLY _HIT !!!

• Options

It was only $3000 to me + the Vig to REA. but yeah, I agree. It all sort of evened out to me. I thought Early Wynn should have sent for $1500 more. It's easily the nicest one in the world.

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

Well I won 9 tonight to help out the cause. Enjoy the money, I will enjoy the cards.

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options

Man, the card I wanted went for like 7x what the last one I saw on auction go for. I was no where close to winning

• Options
    BigRed7BigRed7 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭

What were some of your surprises and disappointments? I picked up 7 of your cards. Good luck with the new house.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you did well.

• Options

Congrats on the results Mike. I picked up 15 last night. Mostly upgrades and a few future HOFers that seemed to go at very reasonable prices. Only managed to snag one of the half dozen rare ones that I was really after. Most of the rare vintage football went higher than I thought it would.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@VitoCo1972 said:
    I was VERY happy with the results. About 30-40K over what I expected on the whole!!!!

i am happy for you

• Options

@BigRed7 said:
    What were some of your surprises and disappointments? I picked up 7 of your cards. Good luck with the new house.

Obviously surprised by Bird/Magic. Went for 3K too much at least. The PSA6 that I still have feels good about it though.

Darryl Sittler for $1500+ was wild. It's a TOUGH card in a 9 but still. The Guy Lafleur and Rogie Vachon which did sort of well were nicer cards and tougher in PSA 9.

Jagr for $1500 was certifiably insane. You could buy 4 PSA 10's, crack them and have them signed and regraded for half the price. Same thing with Dominik Hasek for $600+

I was personally very pleased Roger Brown went for $2000+. I searched for that card for 10 years and it was my absolute favorite one.

Disappointments? Some modern came in worse than I would have thought. Calvin Johnson, Darrelle Revis, Joe Thomas, Julio Jones, JJ Watt, Joe Flacco etc are all future HOF rookies (maybe not Flacco). I took losses on a lot of those.

The biggest bargain of the whole auction was 1951 Parkhurst Edgar Laprade not cracking $100. It's a PSA 4, nice signature and he's been dead for 4 years. Stunned someone didn't need it.

• Options

Congrats, you did awesome. I’m doing the exactly what you are doing just opposite on the kid front. I’m 42, and my first son is a freshman and living in a dorm lol. I have been really stressed lately because I have a big chunk of my collection going live soon with PWCC, and need them to do really well to break even. Your results are giving me hope though!

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Options

Happy to see that you made out well Mike! I was in on a lot of them. But when the smoke cleared, I only walked away with 3. Thanks bud
    Red Sox champs in your backyard and 30-40% above your expectations makes for a great few days! Congrats and enjoy your take

• Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭

Mike, congrats on your upcoming baby arrival and your high success in the PWCC auction. I was able to win the 1987 Fleer Larkin PSA/DNA. As a Reds fan, it will be a great addition to my collection.

• Options

I still can't believe that 52 Bowman Jack Christiansen went for almost $1500. I think I missed out on a raw one on ebay about 3 years ago for $60 and maybe another graded one for around $200 since then. Was one of those auctions I expected to wake up and see I'd won and submit my payment...guess not haha. I did win 3 or 4 other cards, but no biggies.

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭

How does everyone know which cards were Mike’s? I assume it was a ton of the autographed stuff, but PWCC was the seller for more than the 750 Mike referenced... Wondering if the Lemieux rookie (PSA 8/Auto 10) was one of Mike’s - that was a beauty that I tried for but missed out on!

Jim

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@basketballcollector said:
    I was outbid on the 1969 Topps Lew Alcindor signed card. I don't understand. You can buy a fairly nice one for $500 and get him to sign it for ~~ $125 and yet this card in REA went for $3600 ? HOLY _HIT !!!

You can buy a PSA 4 or 5 for $500 but that bad boy is easily a PSA 7, maybe a 7.5/8.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmaciu said:
    Mike, congrats on your upcoming baby arrival and your high success in the PWCC auction. I was able to win the 1987 Fleer Larkin PSA/DNA. As a Reds fan, it will be a great addition to my collection.

+1

Best of luck Mike. Wow!

Mike
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the home purchase. So great that your collection helped you do something amazing for your family.

• Options

We're so happy for you guys! Congrats on a great move forward with your family.
    Add a lawnmower to the list and keep that Celtic Green goin 😁

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VitoCo1972 said:
    Update...thanks HOF Signed Rookies!! Thanks Robert Edward Auctions! Thanks PWCC! Thanks PSA Board Members. Thanks SCN Members! I'll really miss my cards and hope to rebuild the collection someday...and may be buying a pool table for the garage - Brady bunch style >:)

Honestly. Loved collecting cards but time for a new adventure with my wife and (gulp) daughter!

Congrats on the house and good decision. Looks like Florida to me - possibly west coast like Sarasota or Tampa area?

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

Having a daughter is very special congratulations. Happy to to hear the auction went well for you! It’s always nice when it exceeds expectations lol

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on everything. Couldn’t be happier for you and your young family.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭

Wow, what a heartwarming photo. CONGRATS!

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always nice to see someones dreams come true. Good luck.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

Very cute picture and great end to this chapter of the story. Well I won a nice 9 to help out the cause and about 7-8 of the cards. Enjoy the money, house and life I will enjoy the cards.

I'm guessing that's southern CA if there's a contest :)

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options

@rtimmer said:
    Very cute picture and great end to this chapter of the story. Well I won a nice 9 to help out the cause and about 7-8 of the cards. Enjoy the money, house and life I will enjoy the cards.

I'm guessing that's southern CA if there's a contest :)

HA! yes, Los Angeles. Would have bought a mansion anywhere else. Ugh! LOL

Thanks for the kind words, fellas.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Congratulations Mike to your wife and you! Always made it easy purchasing a card from you!

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am glad things have turned out so well. Congrats

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

very nice... congrats. that will be a great experience.
    love the coat
    Go Celtics!!

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations. Cards are a fun hobby, but the real contentment in life is a happy family.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

Congrats on the house and growing family Mike. Always enjoyed dealing with you.