Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Autograph Questions and Suggestions

Next week I will be heading to Las Vegas for the Sabres vs Kights game. The night before there is a Sabre’s Road Crew event which is a ticketed event that they use as a fund raiser for the Sabres Alumni association. I have my tickets and am looking forward to it. They fly in few different Alumni members and one of them will be Gilbert Perreault.

I’m planning on cracking this card and having him autograph it and then resub it for a dual grade.

I really prefer his auto when it’s done with a finer tip pen like this:

As opposed to these:

So a few questions as I’ve never asked anyone for an autograph before:

1) What is the best type of pen to use for the look I’m going for? Is that a fine or extra fine? Sharpie?

2) Color? I know this is a personal preference but I’m thinking silver on the blue jersey may look cool. Second choice would be blue.

3) Transport in and out? Thinking maybe a one touch and then switch it to a card saver later. I also thought of trimming an opening in a card saver so that just the border is covered then putting the card in just to eliminate a chance of damaging it while handling. Does that make me neurotic or just a douche?

4) The ask. Is it cool to ask for it to be signed the way you want or does it make you again look like a douche? Having him slap a fast auto on it like his other rookies I’ve posted would bother me. Should I just except that is what’s going to happen if I do this? I’m never going to look to sell this but I’m sure that these guys see people looking to make money off their Autos all the time.

Any other thoughts, ideas , or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Kevin

Kevin

Comments

• Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

Sweet card! Ballsy to crack out, at least it's not an OPC 9 haha
    Fine Tip Staedtler pen would give a gorgeous graph. Go BLUE 1000%
    Be sure to prep the pen before use and to get the tip broken in. Also transport the pen in pocket tip down to keep the ink ready.
    I would also prep the surface of the card with a Pentel Hi-Polymer eraser. Some guys use baby powder. It just preps the card surface for the signature to stick nicely. Mostly used for modern shiny cards but I do it to everything and have never had a problem since.
    Deeper recessed one touch to transport the card if you're worried of sliding in and out of sleeves. BLUE tape it shut so it won't accidentally pop open.
    I'd forget about the CSaver window idea. The card could shift and damage itself, or he signs over an edge and ruins the graph. And yes I have thought of that too haha.
    As far as handling when the time comes, that's the crapshoot. I like to wait for the rush to die down so there isn't much pressure to move along. Simply shake his hand and tell him how much of a fan you are. Don't be afraid to let him know that it's a prized possession and that you are very concerned with keeping its condition. Ask/show him to sign across however you want. Are you doing HOF inscription or anything? Handle it by the edges and let the ink dry a second so you don't smudge it.
    Also be sure to include the flip in the sleeve with the card when you sub it.
    Good luck and I hope you have a great time and enjoy it!

• Options

Hi Kevin - Good luck with your endeavor... That card will look great with a proper signature... A couple years ago, I started getting rookie cards autographed, and here's the process I've adopted that'll give you the best chance to do it right the first time.

• Take a raw Perreault rookie to Staples (or somewhere else with a color copier) and make like 20 photocopies of the card... Blow the image up at least 150% on each of them... Or, do it at home if you have the resources
    • Take those copies to an art supply store and test out different colors and types of pens by making a mark on the photocopy ... Keep doing that until you find the one that looks best... Buy at least 2 of that pen.
    • Be sure to choose a pen that will leave a permanent signature on the glossy surface of the card... Some pens will just smear the ink on... If you have some low grade 1970 Topps commons (that have little value), test the pen on one of them first...
    • Some people think it's easiest just to use a Sharpie, but even the fine tip Sharpies leave a pretty broad signature... I had the best luck with extra fine paint pens... by far.
    • Before you go to the signing, prepare a fresh photocopy of the card and write a facsimile of Perreault's autograph EXACTLY where you want him to sign it (Remember, you only get one shot; if he does something you didn't want, you just ruined a $400 card)... Show Perreault the photocopy and tell him that's exactly where you want the signature, and how you want the signature to look.
    • Test the pen on the paper before you give it to him... Have a backup handy, just in case.
    • After he signs it, be sure to let it dry COMPLETELY before reholdering it... Sharpies dry pretty fast, but if you use a paint pen. leave it alone for at least 30 minutes... Smearing a perfect autograph will make you want to go jump off a tall building... Like the fingerprint on Perreault's mouth on the bottom scan you posted... OMG. :s:s:s
    • Finally, remember that just because that card is in a 9 holder now doesn't mean it'll end up back in a 9 holder... Even if you don't damage it in any way, it may get an 8... or a 7... Or a ???

I hope this helps... and when you get it back, please post an image of the completed work here.

DesertIceSports.Com

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most athletes have massive egos; appeal to his vanity. Got a little shrine to him? Bring a pic on your phone! Favorite memory? Tell him. Be polite and nice and ask him to do what you want. Try to remember that while there’ll be stars in your eyes, technically you are the customer.

And if someone is with you, have them tape the encounter - more for you to relive it than authenticity but it obviously covers both.

Congrats - cool experience and card - good luck

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

This is the pen you’ll want. Color is personal preference.

https://www.staedtler.us/en/products/markers-refill-ink/universal-pens/lumocolor-permanent-pen-317-permanent-universal-pen-m

Having said that I’ve used Extra Fine Sharpies with some frequency as any store has them - they are thicker than you think though. Bring two or three of whichever one you pick.

Not sure what you mean “signed the way they want”. You mean straight line versus first name on top? I would just have them do what they do, less question about authenticity later on. Most guys are smart enough to put the signature on a good spot (not sign over their face etc)

One other thing - I did something similar as you at a NY Ranger event last year. With the “name players” I had a specific card for them to sign. For the “oh yeah I remember him” guys, I took a run of their cards in a 9 page ultraPro. I then asked “which one do you want to sign?” They seemed to think that was cool and started some great conversations about their favorite year, teammates, etc. One guy held a card for what seemed like a minute just staring at it saying “I haven’t seen this card in years, where did you get it?” He showed it to all the other players and eventually gave it to him. A really cool conversation that cost me about 75 cents.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are the pens that Star Wars peeps were paying like hundreds of dollars for at Comic Con?

Arthur

• Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Pen - yes, as was said, Staedtler extra fine blue is your best choice.

Card saver + sleeve. Take it out for signing, then put it back in. Give it 2-3 mins to dry before putting it back in the sleeve.

It's not douchey to ask for it to be signed a certain way. You gotta remember, these guys are pros. Perreault has been signing thousands of items for literally decades. He knows the routine. He won't be offended if you're specific.

Good luck!

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I'll update as the process moves along.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    edited October 8, 2018 8:13PM

Pens ordered. Crack out up next. Decided to crack a Dany Gare RC and a 76 Rene Robert as well. The 76 Robert isn’t a RC but I have a very nice 76 Martin autoed along with an autoed 76 French Connection card to display with it. Unfortunately Perreault’s ‘76 isn’t a well shot card so I will pass on that one. will post photos after the crack outs. Now I need to find a cool Rob Ray card that I can get delivered by Sat.

Kevin

• Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Good luck Kevin, cannot wait to see them when they are done.

• Options

Update. Wow. Having a blast. Here are the cards before. Added a Robert, Gare and Ray rookies. Don’t shave a before Ray photo.

Kevin

• Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good Luck and Enjoy !
    Love some "Old Time Hockey" cards

• Options

Getting ready for tonight’s game. Here is a quick photo I’ll add scans when we get back. Overall happy with the results. I didn’t ask him to sign it any special way it was a bar event and not really a sit down signing setup. They all just mingled through the bar. We grabbed some bar space when we got there and I didn’t need to move they all came by which worked out great.

Grabbed a photo with Robert and Perreault after it ended. They hung around and I got to chat with them as well before they took off. Had I known I would have had the chance later in the night I would have waited till then but it all worked out.

Kevin

• Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome autos !
    Sounds like a good night . . .
    Sorry about the game though

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kevin,

This is awesome -- just freakin' awesome. Love the autos. Congrats, man.

Andy

Andy

• Options

Retractable sharpie markers, the pen ink dries quickly upon application, so it doesn’t smudge easily after marking on a surface and it was as well conveniently designed for an easy grip and one-hand operation and writing. I read reviews and see this pens it is reasonable to sign a signed baseball and other sports merchandise. I like painting so I always read reviews in this website before buying pens if you interested you can read reviews in that.