Home U.S. Coin Forum

1965 proof nickel

Hello quick question. I found a 1965 nickel with a proof like finish. I didn’t think they minted proof sets in 65. I was wondering if this would be worth sending for verification grading? The picture doesn’t do it justice I couldn’t find a good angle. Thanks everyone.

Comments

• UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope.

I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

common coin

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

They did not make Proof coins from 1965,1966,1967. They did, however, make Special Mint Sets also known as SMS. They have an almost Proof like finish. Some may have glassy fields. Some even have cameo and deep cameo but that is rare.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're a bunch of killjoys. ;)

Common date or not, it seems to be in great condition. I have never seen one on change anywhere near that bright.

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

What does the reverse look like? Full Steps? NGC might give it a PL designation if they don't think it is an SMS.

thefinn
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 6, 2018 7:30PM

To me, the finish looks bright but not reflective. The fields don't appear to be mirrored.

They did not make Proof coins from 1965,1966,1967.

Two proof nickels were struck in 1966 and given to designer Felix Schlag, to commemorate the addition of his initials "FS" to the obverse.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,995 ✭✭✭✭✭

From Special Mint Set

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    From Special Mint Set

Yep.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the good Captain....looks like SMS....could you post a reverse picture? Cheers, RickO

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Overdate said:
    To me, the finish looks bright but not reflective. The fields don't appear to be mirrored.

They did not make Proof coins from 1965,1966,1967.

Two proof nickels were struck in 1966 and given to designer Felix Schlag, to commemorate the addition of his initials "FS" to the obverse.

I didn't know that.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

I have heard the story of the added initials 1966, after coin world started a campaign to honor Felix Schlag. I also read that the two coin they gave him were simply the first 2 off the SMS dies. I could be wrong but I am fairly sure they did not create a real proof die for this presentation.

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    I have heard the story of the added initials 1966, after coin world started a campaign to honor Felix Schlag. I also read that the two coin they gave him were simply the first 2 off the SMS dies. I could be wrong but I am fairly sure they did not create a real proof die for this presentation.

The government described the two coins as proofs, not as SMS first strikes.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    You're a bunch of killjoys. ;)

Common date or not, it seems to be in great condition. I have never seen one on change anywhere near that bright.

Who said he found it in change? He might have found it in an SMS set.

edited October 8, 2018 11:35AM

@Overdate said:

@Aspie_Rocco said:

The government described the two coins as proofs, not as SMS first strikes.

Just wanted to share some accurate information to clear up the common misstatement regarding 1966 SMS nickels and presentation pieces. There were NO proofs this year.
    Walter Breen incorrectly states in 1988 Walter Breens complete encyclopedia of us coins, that two proofs were made for the ceremony and given to Schlag.
    Bernard Nagengast put this myth to rest in the Jefferson Nickel Analyst

Excerpt

“Research by Theodore Riviere revealed that the coins were apparently not proofs, but were simply the first two stuck from regular issue dies. Mr Rivière was backed up by the late Frank Annunzio, chairman of the congressional committee overseeing coinage issues, who wrote to Rivière, ‘Mr Schlag did not receive any proof nickels at the ANA convention in 1966. He was presented with the first two nickels struck that bear his initials. They were regular issue circulation strikes and were no Proof Coins

Quotes from
    “A guide book of Buffalo and Jefferson Nickels” Q David Bowers

And

“Jefferson Nickel analyst” Bernard Nagengast

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    Just wanted to share some accurate information to clear up the common misstatement regarding 1966 SMS nickels and presentation pieces. There were NO proofs this year.
    Walter Breen incorrectly states in 1988 Walter Breens complete encyclopedia of us coins, that two proofs were made for the ceremony and given to Schlag.

I was an active collector in 1966, and I recall the two coins being widely described as "proofs" at the time. If this is incorrect, so be it, but the misunderstanding did not originate with Breen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file