Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Give Away ....... $5 Liberty Half eagle Contest - Winner has been announced!

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭✭

1879s half eagle since it's not a quarter eagle.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    PlatinumDuckPlatinumDuck Posts: 470 ✭✭✭

I was able to help a couple of people lift their luggage up and down from the overhead compartment on a plane when I was traveling last week. Not a big thing, but it's nice to be able to help others.

Great Deals Buying and Selling: Metalsman, BobSav, Rick300, endzone, Swampboy, somecoins, Musca, commoncents05, Refrema, tonyhar, joebb21, kalshacon, JeremyDie1, percyb, scrapman1077, indiananationals, wondercoin, pragmaticgoat, tonedSilver, theboz11, Timbuk3, bigmarty58, HCumberdale, jp84, OnlyGoldIsMoney, UNLVino, coinguy1989, drewsef, coindeuce, pjcoins, giorgio11, Sullykerry52, KollectorKing, privatecoin, jclovescoins, Smittys, bronco2078, ajaan, jdmern, bidask, jrt103, CoinPhysicist, bigjpst, OKCC, Skanderbeg, pruebas, dizzlecc, MasonG, spummybum, SurfinxHI, snowequities

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give it a shot

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

I spent 5 years in the Army if that counts as a good deed. Oh, I gave a homeless guy $20 and bought him a calzone at a local joint. He kinda threw that gift back in my face though since he caused a ruckus in the place and got kicked out after I left.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

1880 Liberty Head half eagle

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is my story from the other day

Back on September 1st, @DCW started the Give A Gift To Paradise Found thread because of the positivity that @Paradisefound has spread across the forum. You can read all about it here:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1004752/the-give-a-gift-to-paradisefound-thread-we-did-it/p1

I am a college instructor and went to work today just like any other day. I get an email that a student has lost $600 a few days ago and if anyone finds it, please contact one of our other instructors. As I was sitting there thinking about how much money that is to a young college student and figuring it was probably for rent or groceries, I suddenly thought about the Paradisefound gift thread and decided to try the same. So I responded to all the faculty and said I am in for $50 and was hoping another 11 instructors would pitch in to help the young lady out. Just like the generosity on the forum, we came up with the money fairly quickly and I took it to the student and she started crying as did her classmates and the instructor. You should have seen the look on her face when this random stranger comes in the room to give her this gift.

I never would have thought to do this if it hadn't been for @DCW and @Paradisefound . So I just wanted to share this story because it felt great to help someone who I don't know and who really needed it. I also wanted to thank all those who participated in the give a gift. You never know when your small act of kindness will inspire someone else to do the same.

Pay it forward.

I just received this email from her instructor:

Hello everyone,

Today was a truly humbling experience. My email asking for help to find a student’s lost money turned into something I would have never expected. I would like to personally thank each and everyone of you for your kindness and generosity. Today we were able to collect enough money to cover the $600 that was lost.

When we were asked how she could possibly pay all of you back, we simply told her to be sure to pay it forward when she is able.

She was overwhelmed by your generosity and couldn’t thank us enough. She also indicated she was going to pay her bills right after school. Thank you for going above and beyond, she will forever be grateful!

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neighbor came over needing a ride to get to church when her garage door broke and came off the tracks. Happily took her there!

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

1908 Half Eagle.

Back around 1983 I went to Tucson to testify as an expert witness in a criminal trial. Showed up on the appointed day and was told the trial was running late and I could go sightsee if I wished. Rented a car and drove out to the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum west of town. Fabulous museum but it was July and at least 110 in the above-ground part. After cooling off in the visitor center I went out and opened up the car door and stood back. It was about 1 PM and not a cloud in the sky.

While I was looking at the rent-a-car map to decide where to go next, two young Japanese lady tourists asked me how far it was to Old Tucson, a recreated wild west town tourist attraction that had stage coach rides and fake gunfights if they weren't shooting a movie there. I checked the map and told them to go out of the parking lot and turn right and go about 8 kilometers. I assumed they had a car.

Got in the car, started it up and turned the air conditioning on and got back out for a few minutes. Finally dared get in and drove out of the parking lot and turned right. A little ways down the road were the two ladies WALKING to Old Tucson with no hats and no water.

I stopped and insisted on driving them there lest they get overcome by the heat and wander off the road and die. Told them to get a cab back to their hotel when they were done. They had absolutely no concept how deadly the desert can be. The next driver down the road probably would have done the same thing, but I could not take that chance.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2018 6:06PM

A customer I first made contact with from eBay was discussing some of his other purchases with me and asking for advice . He was an older, disabled army veteran. I learned that one of the telemarketer hucksters had sold him thousands of dollars in overpriced stuff with misrepresentations of value/rarity of Morgan Dollar varieties. The company refused a return. After a little coaching, I was able to help set him on the right path and was able to help him get a 100% refund.

• Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

Lady posted on local network chatboard that she was looking for an electrician on a saturday afternoon, had no electricity. I googled her and determined she was a 75 year old widow. (surprising what you can find). Took my daughter, voltmeter, and a few tools and drove over. All she needed was a new main breaker available at Home depot.

1880 $5

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

One good deed that stands out... I was on a consulting job in Central Asia to assess the capabilities of labs over there to do collaborative biological research with partner labs in the US. During my interviews, it became apparent how little money people make. The average salary for a technologist working in a lab was the equivalent of $25 per month... directors made about twice that. So, the $300 ATM I got before leaving the States was more than a year's salary for some of the people I was interviewing. When I got there, I exchanged $100 USD for Uzbek Cymn... another thing I found out, the exchange rate was 1000:1 at the time, and... it was non-transferable currency, so I couldn't change it back to USD. Also, dining out was ridiculously cheap. I paid for myself and 3 other guys... beers and a full meal at an upscale restaurant for $13. By the time I had to leave, I still had plenty of Cymn leftover... I kept some of it as souvenirs, but couldn't really buy anything else. My interpreter and I were outside one of the main bazaars near the city square in Tashkent when I saw a child about 10 years old panhandling. His mother and sister were close by, watching. They looked about as desperate in need as I've ever seen anyone. When I handed the kid the equivalent of a month's salary... ~$25,000 Cymn... the mom just broke down and cried. I learned through the interpreter that the dad was hospitalized and couldn't work and the money would see them through. So much of a "good deed" is just being at the right place at the right time under the right circumstance.

Thanks for the opportunity. ...

I think it's a 1903 half eagle...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2018 1:40PM

Last week in Kroger's parking lot a healthy LOOKING lady left her cart behind another's car and was getting in her car. I knocked on the glass and asked her if she needed my help placing her cart in the storage rack. She promptly got out and put the cart in herself(about 20 feet) and left without saying a word. This has become somewhat of an every trip to a store event. People are so inconsiderate. All about me,me,me.
    Jim

Edited to add, 1847 $5.

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭✭

1901 half eagle - I found a wallet on the floor at the bank the other day and handed it to the teller. Seemed to give me some good karma as she handed me some rolls of halves that had a few 40% in them!

Jim

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tick tock, it's 8:25 pm EST, do you know where you are right now? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok.
    Im a generly nice guy and do good daily.
    1907-S $5

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

Need my info?

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats to Smudge.

Lots of wonderful tales of helping a stranger too. You all deserve a hand

• Options
    JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 836 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done Pf. Again. Congratulations Smudge.

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

Thanks guys.

• Options

Maybe tomorrow I will tell how I figured out it was an 81.

• Options

Good memory perhaps?

@Smudge said:
    Maybe tomorrow I will tell how I figured out it was an 81.

• Options
    edited October 13, 2018 9:22PM

Old post. Think about it. Your post.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    Old post. Think about it. Your post.

I’m happy for ya there smudge ol buddy.

As for you miss lady of the tropics.
    You’re groovy B)

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

Paradise post.

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hell Yeah @Paradisefound & @Smudge ...Good Vibes ;)

• Options
    tonedSilvertonedSilver Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

Way to go! :)

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats to smudge and again many thanks to paradisefound.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool ! :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

Smudge is one lucky mohfoh. Congrats. Mango did a heck of a job on that chit of paper, no hanging chad there. Have a good day. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats @Smudge and a big hand for the lovely lady @Paradisefound

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options

Thanks all. Very generous lady that.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Consmudgulations!!!!!!!!

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool! Congrats to Smudge!! ...and thanks to Paradise for an awesome giveaway...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    bugbitbugbit Posts: 155 ✭✭✭

Congrats @Smudge and thanks @Paradisefound for another great giveaway

• Options

Again thanks to @Paradisefound for the most generous prize. What a treasure it is and she is to this forum. I almost have my daughter hooked on collecting and this may make the difference. She has started reading some of my coin books and showing some interest. We need YN's and I am trying. She will be thrilled with this and I will make sure she keeps it. I only was able to tell it was an 81 after, well I will just give a hint "Tough Love". Most of you will see right away how I could tell.

• Options
    CaptMorgansCaptMorgans Posts: 102 ✭✭✭

I paid for a stranger's groceries when they realized they had forgotten their wallet.

• Options

<3 Bless your Heart <3

@CaptMorgans said:
    I paid for a stranger's groceries when they realized they had forgotten their wallet.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge Congrats on your win and @Paradisefound for your generosity.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats Smudge!

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:

Congratulations <3@Smudge

I am sorry @cheezhed ....... we'll try again next time OK? :)

>
    😭😭😭
    A consolation prize perhaps? Thanks for a great giveaway!

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options

@cheezhed @Paradisefound has given away so much, if you want a consolation prize pm me your address and I will send you an ASE.

• Options
    edited October 16, 2018 12:00PM

WOW @Smudge ......... that is quite a gesture on your part <3

@cheezhed ..... please accept the offer; you can play around with it to let it naturally tone :)

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome! I’m humbly thankful and grateful!

Many happy BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file