Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Can a member ID this piece for me?

We are having a discussion about the "fabric" of this piece on CoinTalk. Will someone please attribute it so I can research additional pieces on the internet? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's an ancient.

:D

• Options
  • Options
    WorldCoinsDmitryWorldCoinsDmitry Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2018 8:36AM

Have you tried Google image searching keywords: amphora harp coin

Edit: Did the search and led me to this https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/walter_holts_old_money/118/product/aeolis_myrina_2nd1st_cent_bc_15/468974/Default.aspx

Regarding fabric, my instinctive thought is that it resembles some modern fantasy Asian brass pieces due to groups of parallel lines in some places, but I also know next to nothing about ancients or metallurgy.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree. I've never seen this type of crystallization on a genuine ancient bronze coin. He bought another from the same dealer.

• Options

@Aethelred might know...

• Options
    coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2018 10:37AM

First coin resembles a Bronze coin minted in Myrina, Aeolis 400-100BC Approx. with the head of Athena and on the reverse is an Amphora with a Lyre on the right and the letters MYPI I have not seen cloth patterning like that on any ancients I have researched before.

The Second coin resembles a bronze minted in Kyme, Aeolis 250 BC Approx. with a horse with the letters "HPAPoE" you will have to type this out on a greek keyboard on google to decipher the wording, I have seen that specific wording before but cant recall off the top of my head what it means and a Vase on the reverse with the letters K & Y beside it

all around collector of many fine things