Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Trying to identify a Kreuzer

I'm struggling trying to identify this 1799 Kreuzer I recently acquired from a Steve Album auction:

Can anyone help?

The slab says "Lowenstein-Wertheim-Rochefort" with "Wiebel-391" as the variety. But, it doesn't match any of the Kreuzers in Krause listed under "Lowenstein-Wertheim-Rochefort", and none of those Kreuzers have a 1799 date.

KM#55 under "Lowenstein-Wertheim-Virneburg" seems to match the coin type, but it's a one year type from 1798.

It's probably just an omission in Krause, but I'd like to get the state right, at least. Anyone?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

The main Krause books are very much incomplete on German States coins, and for good reason. Their book dedicated solely to these coins is about 3 inches thick. The attribution on your coin is correct, here are a couple examples to verify https://www.ma-shops.com/raffler/item.php?id=16656&lang=en and https://www.kuenker.de/en/archiv/stueck/117598

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

In the "Instant Identifier" in the front of my Krauses, it matches the photo for Lowenstein-Wertheim (Wurttemberg) and the verbiage description for the "Virneburg" kreuzer matches your coin. I don't see any match for the "Rochefort" line for their kreuzer. It looks like Virneburg was a protestant line, while Rochefort was the catholic line. Since the ruler for Lowenstein-Wertheim changed in 1799 from Carl Ludwig to Friedrich Carl, I would say that it is a Krause omission under "Virneburg, since the verbiage for the 1798 obverse matches for your 1799 kreutzer. Some German States are a bear to identify. I used to have a great reference for the 18th century German States (but written in German), but I gave it to a friend in Buffalo (ajaan). Maybe he can look for it if he reads this.

• Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the info.