Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Bought, sold and rebought

SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2, 2018 8:30AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

A 1900 franc from Switzerland that was first bought by me, raw, along with other toned gems, that MacCrimmon had preselected based on his knowledge of my taste for my high grade Swiss type set, in Chicago, CICF 2006, sold a few years later to Dave xxxxxx, owner of the feelgood collection that was recently sold by HA.com where I found the opportunity to repurchase one of the nicest toned early francs among the ones I’ve ever seen. I believe that the repatriation was worth it, let alone that I paid 75% of my selling price.
Grade is MS66 ,population 4, it sold for 60% more than all other three examples at this grade ,all sold by Heritage since 2015.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always nice when you can buy back a coin for less than you paid for it!

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

Sure, but it was not the reason that triggered this purchase. Somehow, this sale always “sat” wrong with me, but I went along with it and tried to forget. Couldn’t. Contacted Dave to see if he were willing to resell to no avail. So I’ve decided to bid very large compared to its estimate and the recent PCGS MS66 francs that were sold at less than half of what I had paid for it raw and thankfully, I won it even if the underbidder maxed out this really large bid. If he had bid $2 more ,it wouldn’t be mine now....

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on getting it back!

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ditto, congratulations!

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's always good, congratulations on getting it back !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

fantastic story.. I very much like it, as I can relate to it through a personal experience with a Canadian coin.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can see why you would consider it "the one that got away". Beautiful coin. Congratulations on having it back, enjoy!