Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2018 Limited Edition Silver Proof Set (18RC) (On sale now, HHL lifted)

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 19, 2018 10:05AM in U.S. Coin Forum

You know, every time someone asks if I'm going to start a thread about a mint product, and I answer that I usually don't start a thread until something about the product is published (generally by the Mint or one of the coin rags), the Mint populates the product web page.

(And the Mint populated the web page late on Oct 1...)

So the heck with it. Here it is. :D

On October 18th (at noon, Eastern Time), the Mint will make available the 2018 Limited Edition Silver Proof Set.

United States Mint Limited Edition 2018 Silver Proof Set (18RC)

This annual set includes all regular proof silver coins produced by the mint, and ever since San Francisco started producing a mint marked ASE, all coins are struck at S-Mint.

The set will include a 90% silver proof dime, half, the 5 ATB quarters and a .999 S-Mint American Silver Eagle.

Mintage Limit: None
Product Limit: 50,000
Household Order Limit: 2

(Order limit lifted Oct 19)

The price will be $144.95, a five dollar increase over 2017.

While this set was wildly popular last year, it was due to the (relatively limited) S-Mint ASE (125K mintage). This year, the ASE has an unlimited mintage, so adjust your expectation accordingly. :wink:

My annual complaint about this set, is the premium for the packaging. It is essentially a proof ASE ($55.95) and the Silver Proof Set ($49.95), minus the cent, nickle and Sacabuck. This calcs to a 35% premium, not including the missing proof coins. I've avoided this set mostly because of the premium, and because I'm space challenged... :smiley:

Comments

• Options

(Reserved)

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be prepared. I may not jump this time for the reasons point out.

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

2 minute sell out?

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

@morgansforever said:
    2 minute sell out?

No I don't think so, not this time.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will get a set as usual

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    dennis1219dennis1219 Posts: 267 ✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2018 4:29AM

I’ll pass. Too bad they don’t include something unique to this set. The ‘S’ mint Eagle already has sales of 130,000, so the 2017 is already a better set.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing new in this set. No way will I waste money buying the same coins in a different Mint box that I just throw away after grading. I can't even give my spare mint boxes away to local coin shops to use or recycle, as they don't want them either.

Have asked the Mint to allow us to check a box to just get coins in capsules, if we don't want the packaging, but it is not in their DNA to change much.

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Nope...not for me this year. Nothing new there and adds 50k to the S ASE mintage

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Price increase with the price of silver in the dumpster?

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't get that - predict a non-sellout (at least for the short run). Waste of money.

Can you imagine what the buy price on this will be in 3 years?

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not for me... nothing remotely special here. Now that I have said that, watch for a unique quarter error or something similar... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:
    You know, every time someone asks if I'm going to start a thread about a mint product, and I answer that I usually don't start a thread until something about the product is published (generally by the Mint or one of the coin rags), the Mint populates the product web page.

Aaand, the mint populated the web page.

No surprises, except for a HHL of 2. Otherwise, it's as described in the OP.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll pass .... not because I've given myself 7 early Xmas gifts in the last 2 months ;) November is a fair game tho :)

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

buying this set would be similar to throwing money out the window

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2018 12:17PM

I got a bunch of 2017 sets I doubt I will buy this set, besides I am broke! Seems spendy I guess I did not care about the cost in 2017.

• Options
    SeatedTonersSeatedToners Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

Didn’t the 2017 have the S mint proof silver eagle that was in the congratulations set?

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2018 7:30PM

It's a dog

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ackk! I require some time to recover after the Palladium so I am thankful for this set.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    AlongAlong Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭

No interest - already bought what’s inside

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Re-packaged already released coins makes it not so special so I'm passing this time.

• Options

@SeatedToners said:
    Didn’t the 2017 have the S mint proof silver eagle that was in the congratulations set?

From the OP:

While this set was wildly popular last year, it was due to the (relatively limited) S-Mint ASE (125K mintage). This year, the ASE has an unlimited mintage, so adjust your expectation accordingly. :wink:

• Options

Yep,
    Last year it had the S Mint silver eagle. People made a ton of money on it. It was amazing.

All I can say about this year is:

Bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yea

• Options

What? This isn't sold out yet?

Go git yers! It's on sale now! :D

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oooops, I forgot these went on sale today. I have a feeling these aren't going to perform too well. How many sold so far? Can anyone tell?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:
    Oooops, I forgot these went on sale today. I have a feeling these aren't going to perform too well. How many sold so far? Can anyone tell?

6...pending returns

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2018 5:14PM

@BackroadJunkie said:

As of 5:00pm Pacific time Day 1, still for sale on USMint site.

Big dealers and flippers must be avoiding it.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options

@COCollector said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

As of 5:00pm Pacific time Day 1, still for sale on USMint site.

Big dealers and flippers must be avoiding it.

IT'll be on sale for months.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ughh. A strong and thankful money saving opportunity.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

@TwistedArrow1962 said:
    Yep,
    Last year it had the S Mint silver eagle. People made a ton of money on it. It was amazing.

All I can say about this year is:

Bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yea

..and the 2017 LE set now sells for less than issue price and THAT had the low mintage S ASE

• Options
    BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 385 ✭✭✭✭

No interest. Just something else to collect dust. Unless, of course, you have a drawer to stick it in.

• Options
    edited October 19, 2018 11:54AM

these shipped quick. And they may take about a week to sell out, but they do every time. I really like these just as they come. What is the S mintage this year?

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Waiting on more DC Coins!

• Options

@Kkathyl said:
    these shipped quick. (1) And they may take about a week to sell out, but they do every time. I really like these just as they come. (2) What is the S mintage this year?

1) Really? I vote a month+ and that's being kind

2) Unlimited (Assuming you mean the ASE)

• Options

@Kkathyl said:
    these shipped quick. And they may take about a week to sell out, but they do every time. I really like these just as they come. What is the S mintage this year?

It's easier to get them out fast when you only sell 12 of them. :wink:

• Options

@BigA said:

@Kkathyl said:
    these shipped quick. (1) And they may take about a week to sell out, but they do every time. I really like these just as they come. (2) What is the S mintage this year?

1) Really? I vote a month+ and that's being kind

2) Unlimited (Assuming you mean the ASE)

I actually think Christmas for sell-out. I wouldn't be surprised if they go into next year.

The key is your #2. The only thing "limited edition" about this set is the box! It might be cheaper to get a set by buying an empty box off ebay and filling it with your own coins. LOL

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shame on me, but I just don’t see the attraction for true collectors to buy this stuff. Why not apply these funds year after year to classic type?

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

@Catbert said:
    Shame on me, but I just don’t see the attraction for true collectors to buy this stuff. Why not apply these funds year after year to classic type?

People should buy what they like. If you like modern Mint products, buy them. Personally, they are prettier than a lot of Morgan dollars I've seen.

My only objection to this set is the redundancy. The coins are available elsewhere for less. You just buy the $49.95 proof set and the $55.95 silver eagle and you've actually got all the same coins PLUS the cent, nickel and dollar for only $106. They are basically selling me the box for $40.

Just for fun, I may actually do it. Once people start selling the empty boxes on eBay, I may buy one and fill it and see what it costs to reproduce the set from pieces.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2018 1:19PM

Once slabbed, you never know if it came from a regular (silver) proof set, or it was part of this set. In that case, I agree we should collect what we like... and HOW we like it.

• Options

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Once slabbed, you never know if it came from a regular (silver) proof set, or it was part of this set. In that case, I agree we should collect what we like... and HOW we like it.

Well, that's not quite true. I'm sure there's a special label fromat least once of the big 2.

• Options

Well...you could buy the OGP, fill it up with non-LE coins, and submit the set for grading....get the label but not for the correct coins

• Options

@Kkathyl said:

Unlimited.

If you're asking how many have sold so far, 134K stand alone, another 50K with this set, and they'll be on sale for the foreseeable future. (I mean, they're still selling 2016 and 2017 ASE proofs...)

• Options
    edited October 19, 2018 3:25PM

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

Used to be (don't know if it's still true), this set has to be sent into the TPG's sealed in order to get the set designation. (And yes, this set is pedigreed on the label.) I assume it's the label collectors that mostly chase this set.

Edit to add: Found a page ATS for the 2017 set, and it had to be sent in sealed to get the pedigree. Can't find a reference on PCGS's site, but that could be because I don't know where to look... :)

• Options

@BackroadJunkie you are correct. The box from the mint has to be sent sealed to get the designation. I always buy 2 sets of anything from the mint. I also put them into separate orders so if I need to sell or give away, the person who gets it from me can send to grading for designation if they want. I learned along time ago that if you order 2 at one time, they put them in one box.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

Just under 25k of the 50k sold as of Sunday

• Options
    edited October 26, 2018 2:19AM

I wanted to share my none professional pictures of a set and you look and tell us your thoughts. If you see anything I can assure you it the capsule but well here they are

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options