Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Travel to Greece

I am planning a trip to Greece -- Athens, Mykonos and Santorini- and thought I would ask some basic questions about potential coin buying there. Many years ago, when I traveled frequently in the Middle East, I had success purchasing gold Islamic coins from the 5th - 12 centuries and even some other world coins. Counterfeit US coins were easy to spot and I met some folks I trusted. No problems with customs.
But that was then, I'm not an expert in ancients, and this is Greece. With restrictions on Greek coins, documentation requirements and duties, I think I may just pass. A well known ancients dealer acquaintance advised me similarly and basically said it wasn't worth the hassle and risk unless one knows the process. Still, I thought I'd ask for advice. Not sure if there is any monetary advantage of buying in Greece, but it might be fun. Also, if someone has done it before, do you know any reputable shops? I assume a reputable shop could assist. FYI, I consider myself very knowledgeable on US coins, but I would generally not buy an ancient coin from anyone other than an expert whose advice I trust. That, in fact, may be my answer.
Thanks.

Tom

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send syracusian a PM. He lives in Athens. BTW, Santorini is beautiful.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

Given all the regulations on export of coinage I'd pass on anything that has remotely been associated with Greece in the last three millenia.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

I visited Greece last year and every coin I encountered in a touristy area was an obvious fake. Perhaps deliberately buy a fake there and then buy a real one at an auction or on VCoins/other websites.

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you and thanks for the PMs. I have a plan.

Tom

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

As sent in the PM, I suggest enjoying your trip and skipping coins all together. You will enjoy very nice and warm weather for the season. Santorini and Mykonos are very nice, although the latter ridiculously expensive (as in 500 euros per beach bed, with umbrella ,per day, front raw in a famous local club, without counting the cost of the champagnes that you´ll feel obligated to buy...)

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

@SmEagle1795 said:
    I visited Greece last year and every coin I encountered in a touristy area was an obvious fake. Perhaps deliberately buy a fake there and then buy a real one at an auction or on VCoins/other websites.

@SmEagle1795 said:

Hey the box filled with brass BU coins from the 1970s and 1980s seems like all it’s contents are genuine. Worthless but genuine. B)B)

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3