Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Help, Cinquefoil or Stop on Half Crown?

CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 30, 2018 6:25PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Could someone please explain the difference between a cinquefoil half crown and a stop half crown? Specifically in regards to a Victorian young head half crown. I've never heard of this term before.

Google has told me what a cinquefoil is but hasn't revealed the mystery in regards to the coin...

Thx in advance.

Comments

• WorldCoinsDmitryWorldCoinsDmitry Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2018 7:36PM

As far as I know "cinquefoil" refers to the flower on the bottom of the reverse, below the coat of arms, and the "stops" refer to the rosettes on either side between the flower and the legends.

Edit: After a little further reading I think in this case it refers to the edge... if the stops are plain or 5-lobed flowers (cinquefoils). I didn't know there were such varieties.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• robp2robp2 Posts: 141 ✭✭✭✭

I presume you mean the young head crown and not the half crown which has a milled edge. The edge reading is DECVS ET TVTAMEN followed by the regnal year. There is a stop after TVTAMEN which can be either a star (1844 only) or a cinquefoil (1844, 1845 or 1847). For many years the references gave a star variety for 1845, but this was an error included on the basis of its inclusion in ESC decades ago.

• CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2018 7:14AM

The question came about in regards to an 1844 Half Crown I'm selling but don't want to post here as it would be less than appropriate. A potential bidder emailed me this question; "Is edge mark cinquefoil or star?"

This was the first I've heard of this so I didn't know how to answer the question. @robp2, are you saying this isn't even a concern on the Half Crowns, only on the Crowns?

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2018 8:07AM

AFAIK, a "stop" is a "Period."

• robp2robp2 Posts: 141 ✭✭✭✭

Yes. The new coinage from 1816 onwards only has lettered edges on the crowns, and even some of them are milled (Victoria Jubilee Head & G5 on). Only half crowns struck up to 1751 have edge lettering, after which no half crowns were struck until 1816 i.e. the new coinage.

The weight of a crown is 28.28g & half that for a half crown. Diameters are 38mm and 33mm respectively