Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1959 Roosevelt Dime Very Minor Oddity - Coinstar Find

hyf88hyf88 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭
edited September 30, 2018 4:38PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Found this silver Roosy in the Coinstar machine last week and after looking at it a little closer saw the designer initials appear to be damaged, the entire bottom curve of the S in JS is missing and does not appear to be struck through grease. Maybe die damage, post-mint? Very insignificant thing but got my interest so figured I'd share.

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably a filled die.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post mint damage followed by more circulation. Look at the rim as well as the JS. Small chunks of metal appear to have been scraped away.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with the others, but any silver in a Coinstar is a good find.

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1954-S has a No FS variety and some other dates such as your 1959 have partial designer initials missing. They are not rare I believe. You'd have to get @DIMEMAN to chime in.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stooge said:
    The 1954-S has a No FS variety and some other dates such as your 1959 have partial designer initials missing. They are not rare I believe. You'd have to get @DIMEMAN to chime in.

This is not a partial "JS"....just PMD.

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@Stooge said:

I guess I'm wrong then. Isn't there a few dates that have partial initials?

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stooge said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Stooge said:

I guess I'm wrong then. Isn't there a few dates that have partial initials?

Yes and I have a 46-S with no initials.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD... looking closely, you can see a trace of the S remaining... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

im with ricko on this one

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damaged - see the same type of 'hits' on the digits.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file