Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Athens decadrachm fragment

This Athens decadrachm fragment in an upcoming auction caught my eye. What a cool thing, if it's authentic. I'm so skeptical that without more solid provenance, the first thing I thought was that it looks like damage made to deceive. Any thoughts?

Here's the fragment...

and here's what an original Athens decadrachm is supposed to look like...

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see no reason to question it. These were apparently the first international trade unit. Stands to reason some were split up like the 8 reales in that same capacity 2000 years later.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

A great item to pass on when it is auctioned. It does nothing for me in that condition. Just my opinion.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. The piece looks OK but shows intentional chisel cuts. That means to me that the original coin was hacked apart to make "small change." Is that mentioned in the description. I'm not aware that this is a common occurrence as we see with Spanish "bits."

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

The very small number of decadrachms that were minted suggests that it was a commemorative coin, hence its rarity when compared with the tetradrachms. I can’t comment on the “international trade unit” ,because I do not know, and therefore the purposefulness of such a clumsy partial cut.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am curious about the weight of the pieces in relation to the weight of a complete coin. Are those a quarter of a whole? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall