Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Modern Gold Commemorative Numbers

anyone have the latest mintage numbers for the breast cancer proof and unc gold and silver?

Comments

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cumulative Sales Report is here
    https://usmint.gov/about/production-sales-figures/cumulative-sales
    It shows total sales since release date to Sunday of any week and reported on Tuesday. These figures show as of 9/23. New numbers will show this coming Tuesday about 5pm.

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thats a small mintage. Boys Town Gold Unc. is even smaller. I think the mint may need to discontinue this $5 dollar gold series. It doesn't seem to be a good seller when compared to the Palladium series and many other products..I think the US Mint has to many products..

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Palladium thing was a "new coin on the block" thing. If it becames a regular feature, it will get boring too. The mintage was also low from the get-go which attracted a lot of buyers. Remember that the first two commemoratives, the 1984 LA Olympics and the Stature of Liberty coins were hot as a firecracker when they were introduced.

The trouble is you buy these $5 gold coins from the mint for $150 over melt, and then many of them fall to melt in the secondary market. The mintages are not that low compared to the number of collectors who want them, and the survival rates are close to 100% until they start going to the melting pot.

The bottom line is there are too many commemorative coins. They are issued not for important events but because a special interest group got a bill through Congress. Collectors just don't care any more because (1) the interest is not there and (2), they have been burned financially too many times.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2018 9:29AM

The Breast Cancer Gold $5 is a cheater on the gold content too.

About 10% less AGW than any other commemorative $5 gold.

• Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    The Breast Cancer Gold $5 is a cheater on the gold content too.

About 10% less AGW than any other commemorative $5 gold.

That seems like fraud to me.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thebigeng said:
    Thats a small mintage. Boys Town Gold Unc. is even smaller. I think the mint may need to discontinue this $5 dollar gold series. It doesn't seem to be a good seller when compared to the Palladium series and many other products..I think the US Mint has to many products..

Here are the Boys Town numbers

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

One I do like is the 92 Columbus $5. I just think the obverse design is pretty good especially compared with Boy's Town or Breast Cancer, and it seemed right to have a continuation of the first classic Commem 100 years later.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2018 2:58PM

There are several of the commemorative $5 gold coins that have one or two good sides. The Constitution coin has a wonderful eagle, but the coin is mostly melting pot bait for many observers.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Modern coins are dying just like stamps, way too many products. 4 types of metals are taking lots of money away from collector coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file