Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Here I was bragging about NGC pic and then this.................

AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

shows up on ebay and no NGC pics. Looking at the sellers close up I don't see an MS coin. Am I wrong?

bob :)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1907-10-NGC-MS62-Gold-Incuse-Indian-Head-Coin-No-Motto-Augustus-St-Gaudens/183457130788?hash=item2ab6e5a924:g:G4EAAOSwgKRbrRf6

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2018 7:46PM

I call these "Unc enough" and it has been going on for decades. :wink:

Probably graded MS-61 or 62.

Edit: Ah, I see it's a 62. I guess I should learn to read the post! LOL.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it is MS it's really baggy. I'm not digging it.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

58 to 61 at best. Banged up at the worst place.

• Options

@ms70 said:

You do know that excessive bagmarks, scrapes, rim damage, scratches, holes, and even a tiny amount of cabinet friction CANNOT drop a Mint State coin into the AU range don't you? At least if you are not playing the NET GRADE game and calling the coin I just described a VG! LOL. >:)

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@ms70 said:

You do know that excessive bagmarks, scrapes, rim damage, scratches, holes, and even a tiny amount of cabinet friction CANNOT drop a Mint State coin into the AU range don't you? At least if you are not playing the NET GRADE game and calling the coin I just described a VG! LOL. >:)

May be so, but you might as well as hit that thing with a ball peen hammer in my book.

bob ;)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    earlycoinsearlycoins Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

Looks as if someone dropped it in a blender. Bullion.

• Options

@Smudge said:
    58 to 61 at best. Banged up at the worst place.

That's the rub. The coin may be a "technical" AU by the old standard (no trace of wear). In which case it has a tiny amount of luster loss due to friction on the high points. That translates to AU-58. HOWEVER, along came the ANA's experts who decided that the amount of wear and the number of marks should be combined. :(

In that case, an AU-58 would be a choice AU (clean fields) while an AU-50 would be a beat up AU as this is. This coin does not have much friction rub at all.

Technical grading is dead except in my classrooms as an intro to learning to grade. Commercial grading rules and many coins that were formerly called AU are now considered low MS. This is a low MS coin. Only an uninformed person would sell it as an AU. IMO, it is too beat up on the cheek to reach the MS-62 level. The reverse (which does not count much) is a 63. I liked the old split grade system as a 61/63 is better than a 61/61!

Anyway, each day at a TPGS the graders must come as close to the COMPANY'S STANDARDS as they can no matter what they actually think. I've worked with two basic types of "Finalizers."

Grader A: Looks at a coin and says the coin has no wear or the coin is not polished and refuses to examine it closely. Then he grades it MS-62.

Grader B: Looks at the same coin, agrees with everything I see, tells me so, and then grades the coin MS-62 because that's what the coin grades in the market.

In my experience, the A's are .... :blush:

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe they aren't familiar with the "incuse" 10 Indians.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would give the reverse a 62, the obverse - the money side as it were - is more like a 60...IMO...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭

@earlycoins said:
    Looks as if someone dropped it in a blender. Bullion.

I prefer collector coins, however in this case I will take the bullion over the coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file