Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

After PF said she is a perfectionist I looked.

Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went and looked at my just newly holder 2018 PR palladium's just to find that the holders have small cracks in them right on the rim like this any one else see this? looks like the rim is sitting up to high and hitting the holder.

Hoard the keys.

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting..... is the coin too fat for the slab?

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's what it looks like. Perhaps your coin has extremely high "fins" or it was not centered as you suggested.

• Options

Looks like it in some spots, Hi rim coin.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

One or two of mine has had that I believe.

• Options

I guess I'll send them back for a new holder, I will call them on Monday. I wonder how many are out there?

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Such a beautiful coin shouldn't be housed in a imperfect holder....the cracks are especially bothersome :/
    PF <3

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

are those reflections from the reeding because the holder is perfect as well?

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember minute cracks in the copper bands on large cent kegs. :p

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect that given time you would seeing toning start where those cracks are and it wouldn't be attractive toning,,,,,

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Geez, how can they possibly do that ? :s

Timbuk3
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

They may be stress cracks that occur after a period of time... due to the high rim of the coin... or, it may have happened when sealing the slab... cannot be sure. Certainly you should return it for a reholder. Calling is a good idea as well since they may have a problem and not even be aware of it yet. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited September 30, 2018 11:15AM

Yes I just rec them two day's ago Well one on Tuesday and one on Friday. So it must of happen after that or I would of saw it. Maybe others need to look at there coins after a week or so to see if it happens.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Type2 said:
    I guess I'll send them back for a new holder, I will call them on Monday. I wonder how many are out there?

You never know it might come back a 70 if you do this right? Don’t they automatically grade it before they put it in a new holder regardless. They did that to mine but it went from a 70 to a 69. It was after they miss labeled it by NOT labeling it a First Strike but just a normal Label. It was very disappointing but it would be favorable for you.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would drive me nuts.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:

@Type2 said:

You never know it might come back a 70 if you do this right? Don’t they automatically grade it before they put it in a new holder regardless. They did that to mine but it went from a 70 to a 69. It was after they miss labeled it by NOT labeling it a First Strike but just a normal Label. It was very disappointing but it would be favorable for you.

The only chance of getting an upgrade in MHO is to send them back raw and they probably will come back in a slab w/o the cracks.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very poor engineering of the packaging IMHO. Fit and finish is everything when you pay up front for the top of the line. Can't wait to see what their solution is. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

oops, I didn't see the cracks over the rim edge - how wide is that coin? much thicker than a Morgan?

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2018 12:32PM

The coin has a richness about it.
    (Edit to add)
    We need slabs made of diamond for this one.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2018 8:12PM

I was checking thicknesses and widths, based on quick internet check so I hope correct.

Platinum eagle 2.39 mm 32.7 mm wide
    Morgan dollar 2.40 mm 38.1 mm wide
    Palladium eagle 2.50 mm 34.1 mm wide
    Gold eagle 2.87 mm 32.7 mm wide
    Silver eagle 2.98 mm 40.6 mm wide

I don't know what different slab sizes might be used at PCGS, but the coins all have different dimensions.

Edited to say if there were special plastic slabs for platinum eagles, for example, and these were used for palladium eagles, the palladium coins would be a tighter fit both thickness and width. This might cause cracks if put under enough stress. But this is just my speculation. I have no idea what actual PCGS plastic slab ranges for coins are acceptable, or used.

• Options
    SONOMOSCASONOMOSCA Posts: 401 ✭✭✭

Those cracks are unacceptable. Never seen a 2009 UHR Double Eagle which are 4mm thick have cracks.

BST transactions - Wondercoin, SNMAN , Mb423, Timbuk3
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely I would re-holder.

• Options
    RexfordRexford Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:

@Type2 said:

No, there is no grading involved with standard reholdering. If you want it to be graded again you have to pay for reconsideration or regrade.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just received my palladium back. The holder was fine with no cracks, but it did have a few areas of sticky glue like scotch tape had been stuck on the back of the slab.

Goo Gone took care of it, but still was strange as it was direct from grading and was in a nice blue box.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome!

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yay, great news from PCGS !!! :)

Timbuk3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file