Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Basic US Mint background we all tend to forget

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 29, 2018 2:39PM in U.S. Coin Forum

The request by CaptHenway for a copy of the 1970 Mint Report reminded me of some background we often ignore or forget. Here's the quotation:

"The U.S. Mint was under the supervision of the Secretary of State from its establishment in 1792 to 1799. It then became an independent agency reporting directly to the President of the United States. The Act of March 3, 1835 (4 Stat. 774) stated that the Director of the Mint was to direct the business of the Mint “—subject to the approbation of the Secretary of the Treasury—.” Later the Director was authorized to report to the President of the United States and to the Secretary of the Treasury. The Act of February 12, 1873 (31 U.S.C. 251, 253) established the Mint as a bureau within the Department of the Treasury."

[Mint Director’s Report for FY 1970. p.ix]

However, I think member Denga will have some additional insights.

Comments

• Options
    dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    The request by CaptHenway for a copy of the 1970 Mint Report reminded me of some background we often ignore or forget. Here's the quotation:

"The U.S. Mint was under the supervision of the Secretary of State from its establishment in 1792 to 1799. It then became an independent agency reporting directly to the President of the United States. The Act of March 3, 1835 (4 Stat. 774) stated that the Director of the Mint was to direct the business of the Mint “—subject to the approbation of the Secretary of the Treasury—.” Later the Director was authorized to report to the President of the United States and to the Secretary of the Treasury. The Act of February 12, 1873 (31 U.S.C. 251, 253) established the Mint as a bureau within the Department of the Treasury."

[Mint Director’s Report for FY 1970. p.ix]

However, I think member Denga will have some additional insights.

The Mint was placed under the Treasury Department by President John Quincy Adams
    in 1825; the 3 March 1835 act merely made this official. Otherwise the statement appears
    to be correct.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks! So 1825 was administrative and 1835 was legal. ;)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting how it moved administratively for a while.... then settled in what appears to be a very logical place. Of course, those were still formative times and organizational evolution takes time. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file