Home Precious Metals
Options

Gold vs Platinum

MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 29, 2018 3:13PM in Precious Metals

Will platinum have a comeback to beat gold in percentage-wise price appreciation?

Let's say the timeframe is 1 year.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Comments

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure. Why not.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

I kind of doubt it, it's been staying down lately, Palladium however, possibly...

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn't look good !!! :'(

Timbuk3
  • Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

A year - probably not. 5-years, yes. I really don't get Pd. No weight or color like Pt or Ag.

thefinn
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2018 3:50AM

It might be that the major industrial buyers consider US & Canadian palladium to be more reliably-obtained than Russian or S. African platinum, so they made the switch and demand in mostly the same applications has had its way with both metals.

Which is something that defies analysis, since platinum is a better material for its uses and is now even cheaper. It may be that it's cost factor in the scheme of things isn't as critical to the major users as its reliable supply.

That's all I can come up with. The fact remains that platinum is getting harder to mine, at least in S. Africa. I don't know how stable or easily-mined the US & Canadian palladium sources might be, but it's worth doing a bit of research.

It also might be interesting to compare the historical changes in the Gold/Silver ratio to the historic changes in the Gold/Platinum ratio and see if there's much difference in the relative changes in the magnitude of the ratios at gold's market peaks and valleys, and now. I might do a little of that today if my workload isn't too heavy.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

the only way is if :D gold craters

• Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2018 5:06AM

long term Pt Au ratio

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

It takes 100 Tons of hard nickel ore to squeeze out 1 ounce of Pt. Amazing it is a cheap as it is!

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like Pt may be a good buy for the long term.

thefinn
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

As always, it comes down to supply and demand. As rare as it is, the supply is enough to meet current industrial and jewelry needs. In the future, less and less platinum will be needed for catalytic converters as more and more people decide to buy electric cars which appears to be the wave of the future.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    edited October 11, 2018 9:13AM

supply - demand

electric cars are a far ways out from replacing combustion engines. my hybrid still has emissions.

so, how much demand was taken by electrics and hybrids over the last few years?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

low can get lower.

what would be a catalytic mover for platinum in the next year, if any exists?

• Options

Platinum up about 17 bucks now

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2018 5:19AM

Gold @ $1,228 and platinum @ $842. Wow, I remember the days when platinum was way over the price of gold. If there was ever such a thing as a counterintuitive "buy" right now, it would be platinum.

I did buy some platinum not too long ago, but I must admit that making another counterintuitive buy is a difficult decision. I guess that's why it's counterintuitive. ;)

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    Gold @ $1,228 and platinum @ $842. Wow, I remember the days when platinum was way over the price of gold. If there was ever such a thing as a counterintuitive "buy" right now, it would be platinum.

I did buy some platinum not too long ago, but I must admit that making another counterintuitive buy is a difficult decision. I guess that's why it's counterintuitive. ;)

Buying PM's is always a gamble. Sometimes you win...sometimes you loose.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:

@jmski52 said:

Buying PM's is always a gamble. Sometimes you win...sometimes you loose.

Some have used that argument for stocks.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

No IMHO. Gold has much more volume and I don't think the space force will have come online enough to see a spike in the demand.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭

I've picked up a fair amount of platinum over the last year or two because the price is so much less than gold.

• Options

@goodmoney4badmoney said:
    I've picked up a fair amount of platinum over the last year or two because the price is so much less than gold.

many happy returns.

what impetus will give you those returns?