Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Basement Coin Room at Treasury Building, Washington DC - 1910.

RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 29, 2018 12:00PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Notice the coin counting machine at lower left and in the background a truck with bags of coin awaiting the clerk's attention.

Originally there were four volumes of photographs showing each room in the Treasury building during working hours, and describing the functions performed there. Over the years all but one volume have been lost or stolen. Similar photographs were made at the Philadelphia Mint, but nearly all of those are missing. Only a photo of the Engraving Department employees and a few others remain.

Comments

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat. I like the broom on the wall in case of spillage, and the cascade of desk lamps pointing everywhere.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

In 1910 a 40-watt bulb was considered "bright" and sufficient for most purposes. Many users evidently thought differently and batches of desk lamps often appear in old photos. Mint workers had complained about lack of brightness once electric lights were introduced - even though a typical electric bulb produced more light than gas. Some of the problem might have been that prior to ordinary bayonet or screw-base bulbs, carbon arc lamps were in industrial use and they produced a lot more light than the little 20- and 40-watt light bulbs used to replace carbon arc.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gotta be a special place in he!! for someone who would steal archive material.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat old photograph, I like it !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pic.
    I like that big scale too.
    I see the work station surface has rounded corners which makes a lot of sense. Coins like to stay put or hide in square corners.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great photograph.....such a shame about the missing volumes of pictures....probably in some attic somewhere or tossed in the garbage when cleaning a basement. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice windows for a "basement." I presume this was the ground level and the "first floor" was one flight up?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are these new coins, or old coins sent back to the Mint for sorting into "melt em!" and "good enough to reissue" piles?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2018 6:49AM

@CaptHenway said:
    Nice windows for a "basement." I presume this was the ground level and the "first floor" was one flight up?

Edit: You are correct. I just looked at the building.

• Options

A "basement" was any part of a building that was at least partially excavated. The New Orleans Mint had a "basement" although it was almost entirely above local ground level.

Treasury clerks and workers sorted through coins shipped from sub-treasuries (not 'basement' treasuries...) and removed fakes, mutilated and foreign coins. These were debited against the sub-treasury deposit which was then debited to the individual banks who made the original deposit. Gold coins received preferential treatment, then silver and finally minor. The whole process could take months. The same procedure was observed at Federal Reserve Banks when they replaced sub-treasuries.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems antiquated for only 8 years ago. ;)

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you just imagine what could have been in those bags?

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

At the time there was a lot of public concern about "dirty money." Treasury began washing bank notes and many large banks and high-end hotels actually washed their coins before using them. (There is a "Dirty Jobs" episode about coin washing at the St. Regis hotel in San Francisco. "Washing" was more like scouring and buffing than removing dirt....Someone posted about it, I think.) There are several letters in Mint archives about banks paying long-distance transportation for shiny new coins for their clients, and then there was the Christmas New Year demand also.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file