Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

School Coin Club

I teach 7th and 8th grade Science. An opportunity arose at my school for me to start a coin club so I jumped at it. Today was the first meeting. I started off the meeting by giving a couple of basics of coin collecting. Then I did some show and tell. I started off with a dansco album of Lincoln cents 1909-1958. I pointed out that many collectors got their start collecting cents. Then I went on to a dansco type set... there were lots of neat-o's there. Next I talked about the certification companies. I had a PCGS, NGC, and ANACS slab that I passed around. Then I showed them a Morgan dollar... quite possibly the back bone of the collector base today.

Next I gave out door prizes. The first kid that made it to the club got his pick of either a steel cent or a BU wheat. He picked the steel cent. I told him to pick a number between 1 and 20. He picked 10 so I counted off 10 kids and gave the other coin to the other kiddo. Everyone also got a circulated wheat cent.

Then I went to Abe's Colloring Book, the current number 1 toned Lincoln set, 1909-1958. As I passed through one coin, then to another I spoke about what made each coin special. I also gave a relative value on them. There were lots of "wows." All-in-all, it was a really positive experience. As they were leaving, I heard one kid tell another, "I'm definitely coming back the next time there's coin club!"

...A special thanks to chloebess for building such a spectacular set and allowing others to see it. Today was what coin collecting is all about!

David

Comments

• Options
    ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

Woah, you deserve a medal. Seriously, pick a presentation piece! The collecting base of teenagers isn't a population out there at the moment.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are an ANA member. the library will lend you video presentations. If not and you have an old VCR PM me with your address and I'll send you J.P's Counterfeit Detection video.

• Options
    bugbitbugbit Posts: 155 ✭✭✭

Sounds like a great club. I'm sure when I was in 7th and 8th grade I would have picked on the kids in coin club. But now I wish someone would have taken the time to teach me about coins when I was a kid.

• Options
    ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭

That’s fantastic that you are doing this for the kids! Try to show them some 19th century coins too if you can. I remember to this day the first time that I saw a seated quarter. It was an 1857 graded good or VG that was owned by my friends dad. It was at that time the most fabulous coin that I ever laid my eyes on! I decided at that time to start collecting type coins. Eventually, I gravitated to colonial coins.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you should ask for donations from us. I have a Kennedy half Whitman Album and a Indian cent Archive quality Album both used. I will gladly send them to you free to support your efforts. Contact me at bdodson138@gmail so I can get an address if you want them.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LincolnCentMan
    If you would like any coins..............let me know :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

More teachers should do this or have a coin collector friend do a guest appearance. If more kids saw some old designs it may generate more interest. Good job.

• Options

@WaterSport said:
    I think you should ask for donations from us. I have a Kennedy half Whitman Album and a Indian cent Archive quality Album both used. I will gladly send them to you free to support your efforts. Contact me at bdodson138@gmail so I can get an address if you want them.

WS

This is a great idea, let us know if there is anything specific your club needs. I have some used albums I could send along too.

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow that’s so cool, I wish my high school had a coin club, the only coin chat I get is through forum and once in a wile at a coin shop.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Showing some error coinage, even photos of such might pique their interest (Wow Factor).

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Showing some error coinage, even photos of such might pique their interest (Wow Factor).

in my office, I give my staff for their kid's birthdays, a proof set and error coin - most off centers. All the kinds love them.

Easton Collection
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a great story! Kids really do have an interest in coins - if someone takes the time to explain things, the interest grows. How many of us started our hobby as youngsters? I know I did, and others have mentioned the same. Sure, most of us had years doing other things... but we came back. Let us know how future meetings go... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks to all for the kind offers for donations. My school has made it pretty clear that they don’t want teachers taking donations. I’ll check with my principal to see if the district can accept donations then give it to me to distribute during the club meetings.

I would think the best thing to give the kids would be folders or albums for modern coins. I got started with those blue pushin folders for cents. State quarters would probably be the way to go for today’s starter collectors.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice to read!

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like you did a great job and it was a wonderful success.

Keep up the great work.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    BeefCurry808BeefCurry808 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

I love looking at Abe's Coloring Book. One of the sets that inspired me to start my set, along with a few other important sets in that registry.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn't the US mint have some up load book for kids or something like that? But very nice to see that you did this maybe if we had more that did something like this are kids would not be where they are today running from cops, getting in so much trouble before they are out of high school, Good job.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

Fantastic!

Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, its great that you had and took the opportunity to do this.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WingedLiberty1957 What a cool poster! PM me if I can buy one. :)

@LincolnCentMan, Well done! PM Sent.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool! Getting YN's into this hobby is a win-win for all involved. And, they might learn something in the process.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bravo!

Well done!

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭

Ok. I have an update. I sent an e-mail to the person in charge of donations in my district and she was very happy to the great offer of generosity from board members. It looks like I'm going to be able to accept donation of numismatic items including coins for distribution to our kids. There are some logistical hurtles I will have to overcome first, but I will make that happen.

From what I understand, once I complete the required steps, I will be able to accept donation of numismatic items including coins. It looks like you will be able to mail them to my school to the attention of me. I have also requested that a letter of appreciation be sent to anyone who donates. I will post more when I have updates or better information.

Btw, that poster is awesome!!!

Thanks to all! ...brings warmth to the soul to see so much good will.

David

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

David - PM me with the updates. I would be pleased to send you some donations.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options

Please PM details to me as well. Ill go through my stuff

• Options
    UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ronyahski said:

Me too!

I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

PM sent!

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a great idea! PM me-I'd love to donate some common date Buffs for the cause.

• Options
    snizzlesnizzle Posts: 209 ✭✭✭✭

Kids are the future of the coin collecting please count me in.
    I also have some vhs tapes coins and books i would gladly donate.

Tom

• Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭✭

I teach 7th grade math and considered trying coin club, but wasn't sure how it would go over....... I do try to throw in little tidbit about our coinage from time to time and will bring stuff in from to time to share with the kids.

imageimage

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

What you are doing is great for the future of this hobby ..... let me know what you need OK? :)
    I did try to do the same here but the HI Young would be numismatist rather surf :#B)

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ronyahski said:

Same here! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file