Home U.S. Coin Forum

Show Report Update 10/7 - Oct 6-7 at the Boulder County, CO Fairgrounds

claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 8, 2018 8:34PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Show reports - see later posts...................

Saturday and Sunday - October 6-7.

Free admission and free parking.

Stop by my table and introduce yourself! I will be next to another grading service's table at the show.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye

Comments

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Show report please.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely provide a show report.....The only show here is the annual Garlic Festival (largest garlic fest in the nation, by the way). I will be going to that show (often there is a booth of cut out coin jewelry - painful to observe, but good work). Cheers, RickO

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@claychaser said:

Stop by my table and introduce yourself! I will be next to another grading service's table at the show.

And what is the name on your booth?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

@claychaser said:

And what is the name on your booth?

There are no both signs or printed directory at this coin show. The show is small enough that you can find me by looking for the "Ring of Fire 1909-VDB" and "Got Copper" table top menu signs. My name is John, and if you would like my cell phone number to find me at the show, please send me a pm.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye

I will find you if I make it up there.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope to go, probably on Sunday. Cheers!

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.

TTT for those who missed my original post.

Dealer setup:

Went for dealer setup on Friday. Got there at 1:00 pm. Found my table and got my rental cases and lights from Bill Arnold World Coins, did the offload and setup. Thought it was going to be a slow afternoon, so I brought about 1000 mixed steel cents to cherrypick for varieties and to sort out the culls so I could wholesale them out later. But then I bought a good sized deal of early Lincolns from another dealer who wanted to bulk them out for an all cash deal, which I happily accommodated. When I was figuring the deal, a club member came up and bought several raw Lincolns from me from coins in the case. I also showed him the 1700+ Lincolns that I had in the 50 cent to $4.00 boxes, and he was enthused, started at the beginning, bought a 1910, but then realized he had to go and he could not be at the show Saturday or Sunday. Dang! Timing could have been better on that one.

I then had to rush out at 5:30 to make the Fort Collins Coin Club meeting. Out president gave a nice slide talk on counterfeits and the Henning 1944 nickel fakes. And we signed up two new members.

Heading out now for the first full day.

Stopped by there for a little bit around Noon. Fairly decent local show.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the reports... sound like an interesting, small local show.... Any observations regarding bullion sales? Cheers, RickO

• alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report

Sunday, Day 2:

To the great appreciation of myself and neighboring dealers, the facility tuned off the noisy heating unit above our heads shortly after we got there. That made the day much more pleasurable, but alas, the public turnout was not so great.

On a more positive note, I had a few kids come by the table when I was going through batch of some common wheats and steel cents. I actually was able to engage them for a discussion of why they are different. And there were two young people manning tables today - including a very bright 8th grader who had a cool selection of ancient and Roman coins. We had a really nice chat about Roman coins - an area that I have always been curious about and never take n the plunge ever to buy any or really learn much about them. Et-tu, Brutus! Or is a caveat emptor, or something along those lines.

My buying and selling was very low, but I did have a very nice and polite YN come buy the table and spend her budget on some early Lincolns to fill-in her collection. And yes, I did give her the wholesale + discount.

So why business was not great, it was encouraging to see some real YN interest, and that being on a more detailed study level.

The show also had a YN auction at the end, and I saw a pretty good sized group attend it.

I volunteered to help with teardown, and after that, I was on the road at 5:00 pm for a rainy and kind of wintery drive home.

End of report.

You had competition today from a Broncos game at 11 and a Rockies playoff game at 2:30. Both sucked, but who knew that beforehand?

• ms71ms71 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the reports - one for each day was a plus.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....

Epilogue:

This is one of my planned "try me" series of low overhead coin shows that I will be doing over the next 18 months or so.

My next show tables in 2018 will be:

Albuquerque, November 10-11 (November 9 Early Bird)
    Fort Collins, CO December 1 (Saturday, 1-day show)

Stop by and say "Hey!"

• goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the very nice reports from a show that is just too far for me to attend.

• RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry I missed you, @claychaser !

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the reports. Encouraging that there is some yn interest.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file