Home U.S. Coin Forum

What should replace the Wisconsin in my box of 20 Commems?

BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, I decided to do a box of 20 Classic Commems because I like many of them and now seems to be a good time to buy.... maybe. I now have 15 of the 20 that I need. Still on the hit-list are the Gettysburg, Hawaiian, Pan-Pac, San Diego, and Wisconsin. The Grant was there at one time too, but I replaced that one with a Sesqui.

I'm less and less drawn to the Wisconsin (disembodied pick holding an arm), and would like to replace it with one of these. Which would you chose, and why?

What should replace the Wisconsin in my box of 20 Commems?

Sign in to vote!
This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Comments

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good point. Already acquired:

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

um, isn't the Wisconsin a disembodied arm holding a pick? Actually, I kind of like it as an unintentional piece of Surrealism . However, if you have to replace it, I favor the Monroe because of the anthropomorphic continents on the reverse. And I'm from Virginia, so I like Monroe.

• Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful set to date.

I voted for Alabama - I do like the eagle quite a bit...

My current "Box of 20"

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I voted Grant.....because my Grandmother claims we are distantly related to US Grant. (I'm sure that means a lot to you). :)

But seriously, the log cabin and trees can be quite attractive on the right coin....

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • RWMRWM Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

Iowa, because, "Our Liberties we prize and our rights we maintain." No explanation need..............I may be biased though.

• JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 824 ✭✭✭✭✭

So many of the obverse portraits don't appeal to me, including Alabama, Monroe and Grant. I like the Spanish Trail better than Wisconsin, but I voted "Other" because I like the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge better than either. Maybe two bears it too many though. Whatever you pick, based on the first 15, it will be cool when you finish.

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love that Antietam.

• BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2018 6:27PM

Very nice set so far. How about a nice (if you can find one) 1925 Lexington-Concord Sesquicentennial.
    Two different city's participated in it's design. Associated with the Revolutionary War.

photo ffreddie on eBay Lexington Combo.jpg

162,099 coined, 99 for assay, 86 melted, leaving 162,013 outstanding, which sold at one dollar each. Designed and modeled by Chester Beach. Distributed by Mr. Harold E. Orendorff, the Chairman of the Publicity Committee, for the town of Lexington and the Hon. Judge Prescott Keys for the town of Concord. On February 4, Concord artist Philip Holden sent Chester Beach improved sketches for both sides.

Issued to commemorate the one hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the Battle of Lexington and Concord, authorizing an appropriation to be utilized in connection with such observance, and for other purposes.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

A matte proof Hawaiian.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are five proofs for the series that would fill out your box of 20 nicely:

1893 Isabella 25c
    1892 Columbian 50c
    1922 Grant 50c
    1928 Hawaiian 50c
    1925 Vancouver 50c

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    Good point. Already acquired:

The only advice that I have concerning this specific coin is..............what a GREAT presentation Pic you have there, I may have to copy it :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

An Alabama but only if well struck.

All glory is fleeting.
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

San Diego >:)

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

PS
    I would wait until you get the box-O-20 full before I start replacing things :smile: JMO

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

You should of stopped at two, Oregon and Texas.

edited September 28, 2018 7:56PM

To clarify, I’m not going to replace a coin that I already have, just a spot in my plan.

San Diego is already in the plan. It’s one of my favorite places to visit. The Lexington Concord is a possibility as I lived just a few miles west of that region for 4 years. The design isn’t so bad..... better than most of the portrait obverses.

Sorry. No proofs. I have, in my life, purchased a single proof coin and that was directly from the mint. I appreciate them for what they are, but they don’t float my boat.

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

In order of preference-

Hudson
    Cleveland
    Missouri

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always liked Grant and that is what I think of when someone says classic commemorative. I also like that they come in gold and there is a rare (star) the more common version

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    An Alabama but only if well struck.

I agree! Does such a beast exist?
    I was able to find a fully struck '36-D San Diego - fully struck tower!

thefinn
  • davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

I voted other -> I feel that there are so many, I would find one that fit my eye appeal and toning preference. It could be a Booker T Washington, Carver/Washington, Grant star.... and then if a better one came along, I could replace with no regrets or obligation.

OK,

Who are the two jokers that voted for the Eunice Shriver? Most likely some poor souls who own one and are hoping for a market. I wouldn’t even buy one below melt. LOL.

I see there is a clear consensus..... but the Spanish trail is ahead with the Alabama in second place.

Hmmmmm. You’ve all given me food for thought, which was the real point of this. The Lexington Concord is one I hadn’t really considered.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have my own reason for including the SCONNIE!

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

to bad the mcdonalds token wasent legal >:)

• ms71ms71 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, your favorite 20 is remarkably similar to mine. If it were me, I'd get rid of Maine, Wisconsin (both unimaginative amateurish designs), and the Sesqui; the latter because it isn't an outstanding design and it strikes up very poorly due to the very shallow relief. I'd add Grant, Alabama (both by Laura Fraser, you can't go wrong there), and the last one would be either Fort Vancouver (another Laura Fraser) or Missouri (by Robert Aitken, designer of the Pan-Pac $50s).

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • jedmjedm Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great presentation, very neat. I too like the Iowa if just for the motto alone. Here are a few I might be inclined to consider beyond that one:
    Grant
    Bay Bridge
    Texas
    New Rochelle

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grant would be a good choice, but I voted other...…….which would be the Connecticut…..I love the tree!

• I think you should go from 20 coins to 30 and then the decision will be a lot easier.

• rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

I went "Other", i love the reverse of the Bay Bridge commem

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

I voted "Other". 1937 Roanoke

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spanish Trail.... always liked that coin....Cheers, RickO

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was born in Wisconsin so it would be in my box of 20.
    Not sure why it made your list - you must have had a reason to include it.

I've owned several over the years, finally found one I really like from bammed member LeeG. PCGS MS66

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• NicNic Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Missouri.

And ditch the SM for a killer IA. Ignore Lexington. -)

• BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nic said:
    Missouri.

Ignore Lexington. -)

:(:s:'(;)

• jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭✭✭

Albany and New Rochelle are my favorites

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Monroe, (especially today, on USMCA day) good luck finding one with the strike, luster, and color to fit in with your outstanding collection. 20 favorite designs is a fine idea, how can you pass on that reverse?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many differing opinions here. Make yourself happy!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file