Home Sports Talk
Options

Best Switch Hitter?

LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most lists will put Mantle at the top, arguments for Rose or Chipper taking the crown?

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mantle

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bruce Jenner FTW

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

How can Pete Rose be considered?

He wasn't even good enough to get into the Hall of Fame. ;)

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    Bruce Jenner FTW

I can only bump and set, counting on someone else to spike it. I was going to make reference to long-distance running fans, but couldn't leave it that obvious.

• Options

@stevek said:

Correction: The HOF wasn't good enough for him.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mantle because of his power

Rose because he is the All Time Hit Leader

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eddie Murray

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chipper MUCH better hitter than Rose. Mantle the best!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

Agreed. Rose kept penciling himself into the lineup and played long enough to get to the all time hit mark, but his career batting average is still just a shade above .300 with little power. Great player, but also an overrated one.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Agreed. Rose kept penciling himself into the lineup and played long enough to get to the all time hit mark, but his career batting average is still just a shade above .300 with little power. Great player, but also an overrated one.

Rose would pencil himself in because he would have a bet through a friend he would strike out on his first at bat or second or third.

Because he was a degenerate gambler B)

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@grote15 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Rose would pencil himself in because he would have a bet through a friend he would strike out on his first at bat or second or third.

LOL, clever way to make book on a prop bet!

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@bronco2078 said:

@grote15 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

LOL, clever way to make book on a prop bet!

Joe says, Hey Bruno, what are the odds on a prop bet on Pete Rose striking out four times in tonight's game.

Bruno the bookie replies, Chit that will never happen with that lousy pitcher, i'll give ya 100 to 1 odds on it.

Okay Bruno, I'll take that bet for a dime.

Ten minutes later this phone conversation occurs, Hi Pete, I got the bet in.

Good job Joe, bring me my 50k as soon as you collect.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mantle was the best switch hitter, but I wonder about the switch hitter thing. Mantle’s batting average was .330 right handed and .281 left handed. He hit the famed 565 foot home run right handed. His homerun percentage per at bats was higher left handed, but that was with the short right field at Yankee Stadium. My point is did being a switch hitter really improve his stats?

There were some guys, like Jimmy Rollins, who really had me asking, why are you doing this? When you are hitting less than .200 on you unnatural side, is this really working?

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

He's in the HOF. They have the base in there that he set the record on. A pair of "Shoeless" Joe Jackson's shoes are in the HOF too, so he is in there. Hypocrites.

thefinn
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    Mantle was the best switch hitter, but I wonder about the switch hitter thing. Mantle’s batting average was .330 right handed and .281 left handed. He hit the famed 565 foot home run right handed. His homerun percentage per at bats was higher left handed, but that was with the short right field at Yankee Stadium. My point is did being a switch hitter really improve his stats?

There were some guys, like Jimmy Rollins, who really had me asking, why are you doing this? When you are hitting less than .200 on you unnatural side, is this really working?

Good question. Mantle was better from the right side, especially after he hurt his shoulder in 1957, he was shown a video of himself hitting left handed and was told he had changed his way of holding the bat. He replied that his shoulder kept him from being able to hold it the way he used to. He also quit bunting as much as he did when he first came up, that hurt his average batting lefty.

One of his teammates said if he would have just hit right handed he would have been better than Ted Williams!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mantle far and away the best, but give me steady Eddie for my #2

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2018 10:43AM

Of course we will never know how well Mantle would have done batting righty vs a righty. Odds are batting righty vs a righty would not be anywhere near what he did batting right handed vs LEFTY pitchers.

Anyway, his splits as they stand are not far apart at all. Compare his splits to some contemporary NON switch hitters and they have far greater splits.

Mantle OPS vs RH was .966
    Mantle OPS vs LH was .998

Mays OPS vs RH was .915........compare that to Mantle's .966 switching to left side to face the RH
    Mays OPS vs LH was 1.005

Aaron OPS vs RH was .900.....compare that to Mantle's .966 switching to the left side to face the RH
    Aaron OPS vs LH was .1008

WIlliams OPS vs RH was 1.156
    Williams OPS vs LH was .931

Musial OPS vs RH .995
    Musial OPS vs LH .917

Seems, compared to his elite contemporaries, that Mantle was better served switching to the other side rather than facing same side pitcher, as the others all fared much worse facing same side pitcher.

I don't see any way how batting right handed exclusively would make Mantle a better hitter than Ted Williams. Players don't perform better facing the same side pitcher...they perform worse, and Manlte batting RH vs a lefty was a .998. THat would be much lower if he were to bat right handed vs a right hander.

• Options

Mantle Mays and Aaron retired before I was born I think. No way to ever know. Gotta see them actually swing stats aint going to cut it.

Of course some of you guys are in your 90's so you probably saw them play . Maybe went to 1 game a year and then sat around a giant wooden radio and listened to the other games. Oh there was 4 hours of TV a day on 2 channels I almost forgot about that.

Speaking of that I'd rather watch 8 hours of off the air TV station test pattern than some old black and white crazy legs fast motion baseball footage.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I saw Mays play in 1964 in Philadelphia against the Phillies. I remember two plays. One, he got cut down at second trying to stretch a single into a double. The fans had a lot fun giving hin the needle for that. The second, one of the Phillies hit a screaming line drive to center that looked like it would be in the gap. Mays, looking like he was running on rails, caught up with it easily.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@Skin2 said:
    I don't see any way how batting right handed exclusively would make Mantle a better hitter than Ted Williams. Players don't perform better facing the same side pitcher...they perform worse, and Manlte batting RH vs a lefty was a .998. THat would be much lower if he were to bat right handed vs a right hander.

The player was not talking about OPS but about the fact that he perceived Mantle's stance and swing right handed nearly "perfect", while batting lefty he was "an uppercutter" who was more prone to striking out. Mantle had a higher BA right handed. I can't remember if it was Bobby Richardson who made the comment, but the opinion was that Mantle was a natural right handed hitter and might have been even better if he focused on that. We'll never know. I thought it was an interesting comment.

I saw some interesting diagrams in a book that showed Mantle's mechanics both ways and his right handed swing was "better" than his left handed.

Mantle did bat right handed against a right handed pitcher on one occasion. He was trying to hit a ball out of Yankee Stadium but he flied out to center field, so his stats ARE bad righty against righty ;-)

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that had Mantle devoted all of his BP time to batting right he surely could have been a better hitter. He really only devoted half of his practice time to hitting righty as he would have been using BP to also hit left. Imagine if Williams had only used half of his lifetime BP opportunities. I would imagine his stats would have taken a hit.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.