Home U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS Show Las Vegas Assistance

Hello,
I will be a brief as possible. I am 100% total newbie. Most of my coins are Morgan's I inherited some coins form father. I was taken for a ride from a local dealer. I still have a few coins I would like to get graded and sell in Vegas. Questions:
1) I understand grey sheets reb book etc are all estimated amounts. I should use them only as a rough idea or somewhat a ballpark number, Is that correct?
2) When selling a coin, I understand a dealer wound want to make a profit when he/she sells the coin but to what point is it a profit versus being taken advantage of. For example lets say 1893-S F15 PCGS shows $4,250 with 5 sales in last year starting at 3.5 and ending in July this year 3.8. Based on all things being equal I would like to get as much money as possible but still understand the dealer needs to make a profit. So at approx. what price is amicable for both parties versus dealer getting the better end of the deal and lowballs me at 3k.
4) The coins I want to sell most 1/2 are graded and the others are not. How would I decide by looking at the grading guide if its worth getting them graded at the show for 65.00 a piece, I don't feel comfortable making grading assumption with no prior knowledge or experience. When I go to submit the cins for grading would the person be knowledgeable and make suggestions lor coach you. Like when you play blackjack, sometimes the dealer will nudge you one way or another If you are unsure. Will the person taking my coins do the same and say something like, " You might want to rethink this coin" or "Are you sure you want to spend money to grade this coin" etc
5) I will be totally lost the this show. So is there someplace at the show I should avoid trying to sell my coins to and are the places I should definitely look into?

I have tons more questions but for now I would greatly appreciate some honest, real world advice please!

Thanks

Comments

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post pictures here, you will most likely get plenty of comments/advice.

If you are talking about the Collectors Club show in Las Vegas you need to be a member.

If you are a member dealers at the show should be able to make you offers or give advice about grading the ones not graded.

If not in a hurry no need to get those that warrant grading done at a show, they could always be submitted at the economy level by joining the collectors club or through a member dealer.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Thanks for the reply.
    1) I am a member solely for the show in Vegas
    2) Sadly, I must liquidate. I will star over.
    3) Any advice on my question " What is an acceptable approximate profit margin %. I will post some pics. )-onions on fair price to accept on something like 1893-S Morgan PCGS F15 ?

Thanks for the help. Flying out tomorrow!

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a dealer so what do I know but I would think a 93-S in F15 would be a pretty easy coin to flip and all the dealers at a PCGS show should be reputable dealers. If the coin looks nice for the grade I would be surprised if you couldn't get 80% of recent sales prices but like I said, I'm not a dealer so what do I know. They should also be able to make fair offers on your raw coins or at least give opinions on values. It is advertised as a show where you should be able to spend quality time with dealers.

Post those pictures and let us know how you make out.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like tommy44 said, post good(no out of focus) photos here of the coins and I am sure you will get some very good advice as to their value after slabbing and whether to slab or not at all. Welcome to the forum and good luck.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why the rush to sell? Sounds like you might have some good material, maybe try to sell a few/looks at offers at the Vegas show just to get a feel would be a good start. My experiences there have been is that the dealers have been top-notch.

The member show is a great place to talk coins as well as trade or buy. Good luck!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stage1455....Welcome aboard.... some good advice above. The show will be a good place to learn....It would also be good if you could post pictures here, but I see you are in a bit of a rush. Best of luck, let us know how it goes...Cheers, RickO

• cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

As others have said, the Las Vegas member shows are very nice and very low stress versus a typical ANA convention. You would have access to a number of dealers and can talk with other fellow collectors that could give you advice.

If you simply go up to the PCGS table to submit your coins, the staff that accepts the coins will make sure your submission form will be filled in properly....but, they most likely will NOT have any expertise in judging coins. So, if you want any realistic opinions, it would be best to speak to a dealer or collector before submitting the coins.

• cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you go to PCGSCoinFacts here:

pcgscoinfacts.com/CoinImages.aspx?s=7226

There are 18 different F-15 1893-S coins that you could compare your coin to, to see if your coin is just an average one, or a weak example for the grade, or a strong example for the grade that could possible upgrade.

• Apologies ALL..... I ha this draft written up when I was in Vegas but threw health issues brought my trip to a quick end..

BUT I do want to thank you all for your time and assistance.

WOW... I must say TAHNKS. I appreciate all the great advice as well as the time everyone has taken to help me out.

I took a few pics of a couple of coins.

Morgan 1989-CC PCGS XF40
    Half Dollar 1935 Daniel Boone Slabbed old NGC MS65
    1893-S PCGS F15

Appreciate feedback regarding why my estimate isn't a correct call...

(used PCGS Photos coin 26172931 and against my coin listed above 1989-CC XF40)

1892-CC RAW X45
    1889-CC RAW X45-AU50 Reverse AU50 but Obverse I think is XF45 so if that's accurate , one side is grade higher than another how do you grade?

Roosevelt Dime
    1968-D Better than MS67 but not MS68

AGAIN.... Thank You everyone that has already offered advice !

• SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

Great show btw.
    I have my eyes set on this but couldn't work out the final number...

• giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2018 6:45PM

coin show in las vegas Nov 16-18

You can get offers their.

ckshows.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file