Home Sports Talk
Options

Tiger is the best golfer ever..................

DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 23, 2018 4:51PM in Sports Talk

With all due respects to Jack, Sam and Bobby Jones (and Arnie and Hogan) for Tiger to do what he did today after his back issues and playing often at times like a 'duffer' (witness his flubbed chip shots on Youtube) I have to concede to his greatness.

His accomplishment today overtakes Jack's number of Majors.

I understand others with wholeheartedly disagree, but I am one of the converted and will always answer from this day on........ "Tiger is the best'!

Congrats on his victory today.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I totally DISAGREE!!

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think a lot of people downgrade him because of all his personal crap that got so much air time.

• Options

Jack is still the GOAT!

• Options

I've always been a staunch 'Jack is no.1' man, until today.

I don't think Jack (or any other golfer) could have overcome what Tiger just accomplished.

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jack Nicklaus won the Masters at age 46.

Tiger is 42 years old.

Right now Nicklaus is the GOAT. But since Woods is still active, i think the book is still open on this question until he decides to retire. Then we shall add it all up and see.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2018 6:45PM

@DoubleEagle59 said:
    I've always been a staunch 'Jack is no.1' man, until today.

I don't think Jack (or any other golfer) could have overcome what Tiger just accomplished.

This weekends performance was certainly noteworthy, but let us not forget that Justin Rose got the gold ring (as well as the fat paycheck).

To anoint a player the best ever based on a single non major win is foolish. Overcoming obstacles, many of his own doing is admirable, but greatness is measured on the field of play, not based on an abstract albeit impressive comeback.

Should he achieve 19 major wins, I'll hop on the GOAT bus. Not until then.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

I'd say Tiger is #1 all time.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

No way to agree on a gold GOAT so far if Woods can win a few more........MAYBE.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Tough to name a GOAT here as well. Jack and Tiger both fantastic and playing different eras. Don’t remember much from the Jack days, but was there as many good players on tour as there are now? Seems to be a lot of great 20-30 year olds now.

• Options

@PatsGuy5000 said:
    Tough to name a GOAT here as well. Jack and Tiger both fantastic and playing different eras. Don’t remember much from the Jack days, but was there as many good players on tour as there are now? Seems to be a lot of great 20-30 year olds now.

The field was better in Jacks days.

• Options

The GOAT didn't fare so well.

SAINT-QUENTIN-EN-YVELINES, France — Tiger Woods went from the high point of his year to the low point in one week.

After his 2 and 1 loss to Jon Rahm in the Sunday singles, Woods was briefly tied with Phil Mickelson for most Ryder Cup losses in U.S. history at 21 (Mickelson's loss within the hour moved him back to first with 22). It was just his second loss on a Sunday at the biennial event, dropping his record to 4-2-2 in singles and 14-21-3 overall.

Riding into Paris on the high of winning the Tour Championship last week, his first win on the PGA Tour in five years, he'll head back to the States without having scored a point for Team USA.

"Well, it's disappointing because I went 0-4, and that's four points to the European Team. And I'm one of the contributing factors to why we lost the Cup, and it's not a lot of fun," Woods said after his match.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

Not even close to true. There were only a handful of really good golfers in Jack's heyday. Heck most professional golfers had second jobs during that era. Pro golfers now have better coaching, more time to dedicate to improving, better practice facilities, and come from all over the world. I don't think there is a single golf analyst that believes fields were better in Jack's day.

Robb

• Options

@PatsGuy5000 said:

The field was better in Jacks days.> @fergie23 said:

Not even close to true. There were only a handful of really good golfers in Jack's heyday. Heck most professional golfers had second jobs during that era. Pro golfers now have better coaching, more time to dedicate to improving, better practice facilities, and come from all over the world. I don't think there is a single golf analyst that believes fields were better in Jack's day.

Robb

Not true at all.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Tony Romo is a better golfer than Jack Nicklaus.

• Options

@Darin said:
    I think Tony Romo is a better golfer than Jack Nicklaus.

and back in his day Jack was a better football player than Romo.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

If Woods had not had that big dead spot in his career, he would have been there by now. As it is, he still might make it, but he's going to need to win some more tournaments, including some big ones, like another Masters or PGA.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

According to Jack the field today is much deeper with more really fine golfers than in his day. However he says the top players of his day would wipe out the top players of today.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@BillJones said:
    If Woods had not had that big dead spot in his career, he would have been there by now. As it is, he still might make it, but he's going to need to win some more tournaments, including some big ones, like another Masters or PGA.

Dead spot is ten years. He was on track to win 25 majors.

Regarding Jack, the technology was not available 30 plus years ago to reassemble Nicklaus' back as they have with Woods. Knees as well.

• Options

@Brick said:
    According to Jack the field today is much deeper with more really fine golfers than in his day. However he says the top players of his day would wipe out the top players of today.

Totally agree. Which means he had better competition than Woods had/has. He won't catch Jack.