Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Newp 1904 Hong Kong 50 cents

WorldCoinsDmitryWorldCoinsDmitry Posts: 367 ✭✭✭
edited September 22, 2018 8:10PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

It occurred to me that I've only been posting Latin American contemporary counterfeits on here. For a change of pace here is my newest pickup and it's actually not fake :o . Needs an acetone bath and a bit of conservation work, but looks like some luster remains underneath the grime. This and the Straits Settlements version are two series that are particularly tough to collect in the raw as just about all the nice, genuine and problem free coins are in slabs. With mintage figures in the 100k range and originating in an environment not conducive to preservation, I guess that's no surprise.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

Comments

• Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2019 4:07AM

• Options

@GotTheBug said:
    That's a nice-looking piece. It doesn't look like it needs any conserving, based on the photos. I don't mind a little dirt myself....

True, a bit of dirt adds character :) I mostly want to address the two green spots on the reverse. Best case scenario they will end up being black/brown spots, but at least I can try to stop any corrosion from spreading

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice pick up!

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GotTheBug said:
    That's a nice-looking piece. It doesn't look like it needs any conserving, based on the photos. I don't mind a little dirt myself....

I agree that’s a nice coin and I like the look .

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, I like it just as it is !!!

Timbuk3